• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Glen Buxton's SG Custom.

frazettafan

Hello,
I recently read the sad news that Glen Buxton of "Alice Cooper" died several years ago. The 'Love it to Death' album was a favorite of mine and I think he was an interesting and underrated player. His white SG made an impression on me and made me finally go out and get a guitar and I wondered if anyone out there know's what happened to that particular guitar?

Cheers,

Mike.

Dave G

I don't know what happend to his guitar but the Love it to Death album had a great influence on me also. Besides being one of my all time favorite albums, the picture on the back cover mesmerized me. Glen & Michael with their SG's were the coolest rock & rollers ever!

frazettafan

I don't know what happend to his guitar but the Love it to Death album had a great influence on me also. Besides being one of my all time favorite albums, the picture on the back cover mesmerized me. Glen & Michael with their SG's were the coolest rock & rollers ever!

Absolutely! - that photo is the epitomy of rock 'n roll! I used to stare at it for hours studying those guitars. I think that's why I have always like SG's. It was the first time I noticed the 'Gibson' logo on any guitar. Is Dunaway's bass a customized EB?

jb_abides

litd.jpg

glen_buxton.jpg

gb8x10jjs.jpg

jj-gb1.jpg

alice%20cooper.jpg

:2zone

:salude

Wattage

I love that guitar (the album, the band, Michael and GB for that matter) and I am restoring a white 3 pup '62 at a snail's pace because of all the above.

No clue what happened to the guitar I thinkk it was a '64 if I remember correctly.

nickysplendid

Man! i read an article in "the guitar magazine", a uk mag whereby a glen buxton fan sought thee sg and found that glen had some sort of endorsment deal with a really small time brand - so there is a glen buxton model!
i've got so many guitar mags that i'll struggle to find it - i'll have a good look though!

frazettafan

I love that guitar (the album, the band, Michael and GB for that matter) and I am restoring a white 3 pup '62 at a snail's pace because of all the above.

No clue what happened to the guitar I thinkk it was a '64 if I remember correctly.

Can we see some pics of the restoration? And is it my eyes playing tricks or is the headstock on GB's SG excessively long and slimmer than normal? It alway's looked that way to me in that photograph? I think he used one with a 'Horseshoe' vibrola too, unless he just swapped thing's around on that guitar. I think he may have sold that after the band split as I never saw him using it in the band 'Virgin' or anything else he did afterwards.

RickC

"Love it to Death" had a great influence on me too, as a bass player. Dennis Dunaway's lines on that record are seminal; I'm still stealing them! :salude

/rick

Wattage

Well I can throw a few pics up. I have only done a lot of little things to the SG at this point, it was very rough when I got it to say the least. I have a good friend who is a pretty notable luthier that helped me get it and is guiding me on the restore as I have time.

Glen did indeed have a horsehoe trem SG Custom as well. I think the headstock in that shot looks that way because they used to distort the angles on pics of the band to make them look taller and lankier than they already were.

The original Alice Cooper Group was an amazing band. My singer did an album with Ezrin and Wagner back in the early 90's that is pretty cool, he's a huge Alice fan so he said it was trip working with them. We do Is It My Body? and Long Way To Go and kind of try to add a bit of an AC vibe to what we do amongst other things.

The Do-Nothing Machine prepping for re-plating and repair
1169325704_epsn0064.jpg

It had been stripped of it's veneer. I have old pearl to go back in as it is re-faced.
1169325782_epsn0051.jpg

A few cracks needed to be repaired but it was fairly solid otherwise. I have all the hardware, plastic and electronics except the pups. I haven't decided what I am going to do about them yet maybe rewinds because I doubt I'll be able to swing a trio of PAFs anytime soon.
1169325966_epsn0052.jpg

frazettafan

Hi Wattage,

Thank's for the pic's and good luck with the restoration - I'd like to see it when it's finished.
Where did you find it and why was it in such poor shape? Is the neck OK? Do you have some splits in the fingerboard?

I never thought of the pics being distorted but I reckon you must be right.

Have you checked out The Dennis Dunaway project on myspace. See if you recognise the Les Paul Custom!!

He's still a Killer bass player.:salude

torger

I wondered if anyone out there know's what happened to that particular guitar?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi. Not sure what happend, but I recall that Michael Bruce in his book, No more mr nice guy; the inside story of the alice cooper group, writes that the guitar, at least some of glens gear at some point got stolen. Ill see if i can find the quote.

trgr:salude

Wattage

I actually have Dennis's new band as a friend, Neal as well. I'll take a look for that Custom. I always wanted one of them but $$$ was prohibitive. Getting this together won't be cheap but totally worth while and a hell of a lot less then anything else I ever came across.

I have a friend who hooked me up with that SG Custom, it was cannabalized to restore another guitar at some point and left to die. There were some some splits in the ebony which I have repaired, the neck is fine otherwise. It had to do a re-fret there just wasn't enough meat left.

It must have been a killer guitar because it had the life played out of it but apparently something more rare and valuable required it's parts and since it needed a resto to begin with it was the victim of choice.

I figure when I am done, I'll have a lot of sweat equity in it and it ought to owe me some serious payback in terms of mojo!

Last edited:

Wattage

btw have all you Coop fans picked up Good To See You Again on DVD?

Totally a must for an AC fan.

Wattage

Googling for pics of the guitar GB had with the horseshoe lead me back here, too funny.

rickc007

Funny this popped up

I was just watching Alice Cooper "Prime Cuts" (I think it was called)
this weekend, and Glenn was playin a "horseshoe trem", I thought it was a Bigsby ... same thing ???

Anyway there are some pretty good shots of it, was on VH1

Was thinkin that's the same trem as Mick Taylor
They must know something. Two of my favorites

Yunpac

Hello,
I recently read the sad news that Glen Buxton of "Alice Cooper" died several years ago. The 'Love it to Death' album was a favorite of mine and I think he was an interesting and underrated player. His white SG made an impression on me and made me finally go out and get a guitar and I wondered if anyone out there know's what happened to that particular guitar?

Cheers,

Mike.

Also funny, is: "I recently read the sad news..." (this was posted in 2007)

GB died in 1997! 10 years!:)

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Am i the only one who noticed Glen had two different SG Customs? One had the late 60s pickguard and a bigsby, the other was an early 60s model with a maestro.

karl1

I agree- some of the coolest pic's ever- I just watched a DVD of Humble Pie last night with Frampton playing a white :applaude Custom with maestro playing Shakey Jake- I feel it's the most sexy guitar ever.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

I have that footage. Actually the one on Frampton's(actually Marriott's)SG was the famous sideways trem that they tried before the maestros. Notorious for not working and not staying in tune. I love that performance though. And the song(and not because my name is Jake).