• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Toy Caldwell on ES-350T

blauserk

Great, under-appreciated guitars. If you're patient, clean PAF-loaded ones can be picked up for the cost of a Murphy.

I got mine out of an estate sale for a nice price because, being a '59, 5 of the 6 tuner tips were dust. 5 Uncle Lous later, it plays great and sounds great, at least if you get along with 23.5" scale (and I do). In addition to doing what it's designed for, it also is a surprisingly good guitar for riffing. Neck pickup into an overdriven Fender is to my ears eerily good "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" tone.

DSCF0666.JPG

nickster

I had a 1977 fireburst one for years I really liked it but it fed back reallu easily compared to my L-5 and ES 5 Switchmaster It was cool I always wanted a Byrdland but on the old ones the scale was so short. Cool video

nickster

I had a 1977 fireburst one for years I really liked it but it fed back reallu easily compared to my L-5 and ES 5 Switchmaster It was cool I always wanted a Byrdland but on the old ones the scale was so short. Cool video

nickster

I had a 1977 fireburst one for years I really liked it but it fed back really easily compared to my L-5 and ES 5 Switchmaster It was cool I always wanted a Byrdland but on the old ones the scale was so short. Cool video

nickster

I had a 1977 fireburst one for years I really liked it but it fed back really easily compared to my L-5 and ES 5 Switchmaster It was cool I always wanted a Byrdland but on the old ones the scale was so short. Cool video

Dire Wolf

Great, under-appreciated guitars. If you're patient, clean PAF-loaded ones can be picked up for the cost of a Murphy.

I got mine out of an estate sale for a nice price because, being a '59, 5 of the 6 tuner tips were dust. 5 Uncle Lous later, it plays great and sounds great, at least if you get along with 23.5" scale (and I do). In addition to doing what it's designed for, it also is a surprisingly good guitar for riffing. Neck pickup into an overdriven Fender is to my ears eerily good "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" tone.

DSCF0666.JPG

Wow, that is a nice one! Same thing on my 59 ES-175D with the tuner tips; Uncle Lou's on there now, looks like night and day! :jim

tonar8353

Thank you for the post, I never realized that Toy used an ES-350 T.

Mine literally walked into my house and I could not let it go anywhere else. I have a customer whom I refinish guitars for and whenever he scores something cool he has to run over and show it off. He walks into my house carrying a Fender case and this old brown Gibson case. He had a 59 Esquire that he thought I would really be interested in but when I opened the Gibson case the ES-350 T really caught my attention. We took both guitars into my music room and I plugged the Gibson in to a 56 Tweed Vibrolux, how great the thing sounded blew me away. The Esquire sounded like a junk after the ES and after loosing a night sleep thinking about the guitar I managed to make a deal with him the next morning and it came home for good. It is amazing how much everyone who plays it loves how it sounds.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/tonar8353/Tonarportrait.jpg

mistersnappy

Damb, y'all! Thanks for the replies! I've only ever plucked on a couple at guitar shows- I think I could handle scale ok.

I first saw Toy use it on TV in about '81, after Tommy passed. Fell in love with the look and sound right away. Funny how some guitars grab you immediately and others leave you cold.

B

bigsby'd

I've never understood when people have said they feel to cramped on one. Its like saying you can't play in any key other than E because its to cramped. Enough people say it though, so there's probably something there....I played with a hammond player for years who only wrote in F, so I guess I got used to it.

blauserk

I've never understood when people have said they feel to cramped on one.

I started playing mandolin in February '11 and my current #1 is a whopping 1" wide at the nut. Now when I play on the ES-350, it feels like a baritone guitar!

B

bigsby'd

I started playing mandolin in February '11 and my current #1 is a whopping 1" wide at the nut. Now when I play on the ES-350, it feels like a baritone guitar!

Let me know when you want to sell your tubby monstrosities! (I think your collection would be at home here)

blauserk

Let me know when you want to sell your tubby monstrosities! (I think your collection would be at home here)

Right back at ya. Some day when I get tired of searching fruitlessly, I will just give up and pay asking price for your blonde Byrdland. (There's one at Heritage Auctions now . . . but with a refinish. Feh.)

B

bigsby'd

Right back at ya. Some day when I get tired of searching fruitlessly, I will just give up and pay asking price for your blonde Byrdland. (There's one at Heritage Auctions now . . . but with a refinish. Feh.)

There's one on the 'bay now. I don't really want to sell mine, so I jacked up the price. Now I think people are following my lead. :rofl