• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

has anyone ever found a Les Paul Standard..

frenchphil

hey stock hippie!! i love your ibanez!!

what model is that? does it sound like a les paul?

did you refinnished it or is it stock yellow?

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
frenchphil...it's not really mine..i just borrowed it for the album...but its's wayyy cool...btw.."thanks for asking.."..i have never really play a LP beore so I guess maybe id say its really cool...like loud...Telecaster loud..sort of named a Deluxe 59er...i know youd like it...no i never had it refinished either...try my iTunes (Cowboy Van gogh 'Step Outside the Universe)..

alainguitars

My first electric was a 57 tele I bought at a pawn shop near canal street in New York. It was a well know pawn shop, anybody remember the name? Forget what happened to it. Second guitar was a 57 strat I bought at WEBUY on 48th street. I'd just purchased Clapton's first alblum and it was a dead ringer, look wise and sound wise. Sold to a friend when my band wanted me to play a white LP custom. He used to take the strat to the beach and play it unplugged? He died of an OD a short while later. Next up was a 3 pup LP custom, the epitome of class, don't remember the year but I played it through a Beatles Vox stack in my bedroom with my mattress over the cab to keep the neighbors at bay. Didn't work, the walls shook!

frenchphil

thanks hippie

i don't know how to use itunes but i'll give it a try to hear your work

Uncle Gary

It's funny, I made it all the way through the 80's without ever having a "shredder" guitar. I bought my first real Gibson Les Paul in '78 and traded that for a '81 "Standard '80" in '82, and that was my number one gigging guitar all through the '80's and '90's.

I was too old to have been influenced by Slash. He may have re-popularized the Les Paul with the masses, but it must be said that many of us never left them behind.

Black58

I made it all the way through the 80's without ever having a "shredder" guitar.

Me too! :salude .. Closest I came, was an Ibanez Roadstar II; A VH/Frankenstrat-type thang. One 'bucker (which I dumped fer a Dimarzio SD), maple 'board, blue-to-black 'burst flametop with ambered top binding, an' a wang-bar. .. I only got it 'cause I needed a wang-bar fer the covers. :rolleyes:

.. :hmm ... Actually, it was a good-lookin' guitar!

eaglewolf

in a pawn shop...?...like you hear about...or seen one, maybe...?

No, but my stolen LP Custom ended up in a pawn shop - they were asking $2000 for it. Certainly not a great deal like some mentioned above.

I let it and a PRS Custom 24 (stolen at the same time as the LP) go since I had used the insurance money to replace them with an R9 and an R6. Fair trade, I would think.

David

Texsunburst59

Here's my '80 "Jimmy Wallace" LP Standard that found me. I friend of mine's dad had a rock club back in '84. Had Texas circuit rock band run through the club weekly .Anyway, one of the band's guitarist REALLY wanted some "blow",and my buddy's dad somehow got him some in trade for the guitar. The club closed shortly after,and the guitar was left in the office. He didn't play guitar and needed cash. He offered it to me for $500 and I took it. I still have it , and I'll hand it down to my guitar playing son. Here's some pics.

12225332516_3a10b8b8e1_h.jpg

12224766825_a49f3f5d8f_b.jpg

12224773825_2aa35fcdda_h.jpg

Last edited:

frenchphil

very nice guitar texas!! is it stock?

what are the pickups? that double white has to a dimarzio, has n't it?

jimmi

My Heritage award from about the same time has double white Shaws, they could be stock.

Texsunburst59

The top neck is an original Shaw. I took out the original bridge Shaw "which I still have" cause it was unpotted and microphonic. The bridge is an '84 Dimarzio PAF. The only other thing that's not original is the nut. I plan on getting new period correct one on there soon. I finally researched the history of this guitar, and it turns out to be on of the pre-historic proto's commissioned by Jimmy Wallace in 1980. My guitar has the 1980 pot date codes. It has the 8 1016 stamped on ink serial number. Supposedly there only 50-100 tops of the highly figured tops made for Jimmy in 1980.

Big Al

In Reno, NV in the mid 70's I scored 2 50's Goldtops an early 70's Goldtop and a dead mint NOS Rocket Red Deluxe and a 55 Custom, all from Pawn Shops. None was over $750. I landed my first Burst in a Pawn Shop, though not from a Pawn Shop.

A customer who was in the pawn shop asked me if I'd be interested in his Les Paul after watching me buy a 55 Goldtop. I had to buy him a brand new Gretsch Country Gentleman AND a brand new Fender Twin Reverb!!! OUCH!!!!!!

Like allways I keep real good relations in retail and was able to get the guitar and amp at a good price, drive the 200 miles into the Northern Nevada wilds near the Idaho border to trade for his dead mint 59 Tobacco Burst Standard with big fingers of flame and factory cream PAF's. This Burst ended up with Norm Harris.

zumaboy

In '92 I bought a good condition wine red early 70's LP Custom for $700 in an Augusta, GA pawn shop. A few months later I saw a '68 black LP Custom, very beat, with a $450 tag on it in the same shop. I hemmed and hawed about whether I really needed another Lester over the weekend, went back with cash on Monday and (you guessed it) it was gone. I learned an important lesson about jumping on a deal when you see it. From what I can tell these days, eBay has pretty much killed off experiences like that...

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
i was painting a sign for a Music Store in 1973...and 2 buys pulled up and asked me and my friend if we wanted to buy their 2 Les Pauls for $150 each...I think they were sort of customs but not black....sort of sunburst...We said no...