• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970 Les Paul Professional

MikeSlub

Administrator
Okay, well, so I've never seen a Les Paul I didn't like! ;) I went into a Music-Go-Round for strings, and this guitar had just come in - and I couldn't resist. It's got some scratches and some checking, but it's all original.

This is a 1970 Les Paul Professional, one of the short-lived low-impedance Les Paul models introduced in the late 60's. There aren't many photos available of this model - most of the books include photos of the Les Paul Personal, which was a more ornate model with the microphone input jack on the upper bout, and the Les Paul Recording.

It is a single cutaway, carved top, 3-piece mahogany body with a center strip of maple laminate, Gibson embossed low impedance pickups, pickup selector switch on upper bass bout, 4 knobs (volume, decade switch, two tone controls), slide switch for in/out phase, 3-position slide switch for tone, rosewood fingerboard, trapezoid inlays (how about that color), chrome hardware, walnut finish. This model was introduced in 1969 and discontinued in 1971. The model changed from a contoured back and 3-prong jack to no contour and a standard 1/4 inch jack by 1970.

Note that the body is LARGER than a normal Les Paul, and the case was specially designed for it. The guitar has a one piece mahogany neck, and no volute. It is a hefty 11 1/2 lbs. (I'm playing this baby sitting down! :) ). The neck is nice and fat, and the frets are big. It has a substantial and solid feel to it. Fit and finish are excellent.

These guitars came with a transformer cord (from low impedance output to high impedance), but many have long since separated from this original equipment accessory, including this guitar.

The guitar has a rich, full sound, and lots of tonal variations with the switches, tone controls, and decade control. It is a polite sounding guitar without a lot of volume, even if converted to high impedance output for a standard amplifier.

Gibson shipping records say that 2 were shipped in 1969, 781 in 1970, and 116 in 1971, but given the poor sales of these guitars almost no historian believes that the 781 production total for 1970 is correct (probably a typo).

The 2005 VG Price Guide puts the value of these guitars in excellent condition at about $1,200. (a bargain!)

A very interesting part of Gibson history; hope you enjoy it! :wail

3244_p42624.jpg

3244_p42626.jpg

3244_p42627.jpg

3244_p42625.jpg

3244_p42628.jpg

3244_p42629.jpg

3244_p42630.jpg

Last edited:

Pete Garland

VERY COOL Mike! I used to see these in the catalogs in the early 70's and like you never saw one I didn't like.

I bet you can even get some Brian May sounds with all those switches!

DaveTV

Hey Mike,

Got any pics of what the cable looks like?

If I came across one, I wouldn't know it from a garden snake.

MikeSlub

Administrator
DaveTV said:
Hey Mike,

Got any pics of what the cable looks like?

If I came across one, I wouldn't know it from a garden snake.
The cable was missing.... :wha

DaveTV

Yeah, I read that.

I thought maybe you had a picture of one from a catalog, or from someone elses collection.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Once again, my good friend and the best Gibson leader in the whole company, GibsonGuy, sent me these photos of the guitar and the low to high impedance cable: :dude

3244_p42660.jpg

3244_p42661.jpg

Stevedenver

hey mike
well thats cool as can be....and you know i mean it.........

i would bet that deep scratch might fill and buff????that wood is stunning

its a beauty-they dont use Honduran like that anymore -

i have a link about what can be used as an in line transformer if youre interested -basically the same as the original as i understand it
cheers steve

try this

http://users2.ev1.net/~jimbobwan/guitar/lpp01.htm or is it [url]http://www.ntw.n...ge/linkpages/music/music_lespaulrecording.htm

BillyBling

I just picked up 1969 Personal -- (I'll have it next week) - This thread has got me stoked! Great score Mike!!!! I'll post picks upon arrival......

bling

MikeSlub

Administrator
BillyBling said:
I just picked up 1969 Personal -- (I'll have it next week) - This thread has got me stoked! Great score Mike!!!! I'll post picks upon arrival......

bling
Bill, I hope we didn't inflate your expectations too much - these guitars are definitely an "acquired taste", and perhaps not something that floats your boat immediately.... :hank :wail

BillyBling

Bill, I hope we didn't inflate your expectations too much - these guitars are definitely an "acquired taste", and perhaps not something that floats your boat immediately....

These guitars have intrigued me for quite some time. I really love the old school oddball pieces - I have an Ivory Moderne, Silverburst L6-s, Les Paul KM (with the custom made plaque) and now an LP Personal. I like the fact that I have 3 conversation pieces/players in the collection, in addition to the 'run of the mill' historics (no disrespect to my Historics!) and couple of vinage pieces that I own.

Its like you say......you can never have enough Gibsons. I love the rush that I get when I buy a new guitar. I'm already prety sure that my next guitar will be either a Les Paul Deluxe with goof rings, a white Les Paul Recording, LP Custom with a Kahler style bridge or a Spotlight Special. The V2 is very appealing to me also.......I like the oddballs. Can you say corvus/futura? Well maybe my taste isn't that 'eclectic'.

It never ends........thank goodness.

bling

Last edited:

Stevedenver

billybling i know exactly-i like the oddballs too-get a spotlight- :3zone

and...to prep you (if youve never heard a low impedence version-think "anemic" :ahem (only by comparision with regular humbuckers)

here are some of my thoughts-first
your personal is the creme de la creme of the recording family-i am jealous-the personals are indeed rare-hope you got a case-if not the protectors will just barely fit them-

second you MUST have a transformer-shure A 57 (see the last link i posted) will do if you dont have the in line deal(this aint an option trust me-a marshall 100 w on full tilt is bed room level with low impedence input!!!!!!

these recording types dont do overdrive or gain very well-but they can with a processor

think rickenbacker or electrified accoustic, or cheesy late fifties 60s cehap o electric with low out put pups -these are very clean-you can do finger picking, jazz, classical, or rhythm strumming but not really dirty lester stuff

simply-they sound like les himself -the wizard of wakausha-they have a thin hifi super clean sound-eq and certain effects like delay and chorus really make them shine -the bridge is pretty decent at driving some effects-you will notice the guitar is hugely bassy, and short of the above type of use, i usually back off the bass tone a bit for more balance-i think they add a unique color to the sound palatte-

it took me a bout a week of monkeying with decade and tone combos to get a feel-hope you dig it-they really are a superlative example of what top end Gibson was produced in the late 60's-and let us know your impressions after youve played it a bit :salude

i have used elixirs, roundwounds and am presently using thomastik flat wounds-next time i will return to round rounds-the flats nicely balance the sound-but rounds will give it more spank-let me know if yours has grovers or schallers-and beware parts are virtually non-existant for these

BillyBling

Thanks Stevedenver. I'm definitely going to try using it with Guitar Rig as a plug in on Nnuendo for late night recording. I'm hoping it will be an ideal candidate for 'reamping' when I'm recording. The web page dedicate to the personal was a great read (I've read it about 4 times already) -- I'll definitely post some pictures when I get it. You should post some pictures of yours.................Thanks for the time and effort you put into your post!