• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Canned Heat les paul

c_wester

Last edited:

Peter100

chieftan,

You're a Kossoff man, I see. You'll enjoy it here.

And don't get too impressed by my knowledge. After all, I'm the guy who slammed Exile on Main Street last week!

Welcome.
I am a Kossoff man too , he was the greatest guitar player on this planet, and his guitar (even some say not) is for me the best LPR9 came out the Nashville factory, but i must admit the Don Felder plays fabulous too.

TommyTouch

I have to say this on the chance one of our LPFers was there..... I saw Canned Heat in concert at Ft. Ord California in 1971. It was a Riot, literally.

zombiwoof

Henry Rocks! I like the "broken solo style"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFS4AGGWihk

Jump to 3:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GPzXUROj0U

Here is the correct info on Canned Heat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canned_Heat

So does anyone of you know what distortion pedal he used?
Henry is the Real Canned Heat soloist... Harvey was not that long with them... maybe in the later years he popped up abit more.

"Future Blues" is the one album I can think of off the top of my head that features Harvey. He played a less strict pentatonic blues type style than Henry, almost Hendrix-ey. Just a different sound, using a Strat instead of an LP. There's some great stuff on there. I think it's the first album Harvey played on (maybe the only one). I remember seeing Canned Heat on the old "Playboy After Dark" show, which was set up as a party at Heff's place, he would wander around with a drink in his hand, and two babes next to him, and greet the "guests". They played something off of Future Blues, and they looked pretty out-of-place in the Playboy party scene. After that, Canned Heat changed players quite regularly, due to the deaths of some members and other factors.

Al

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
After many years I finally have my own Henry Vestine "tribute" guitar. This is a '69 with original pickups. The frets still have small nibs on them so they may be original. I'm able to play the thing though so I don't know for sure about that. Really fun guitar to play and it squawks like crazy.
Canned Heat was one of my favorite all time bands. The first couple bands I played in played all the songs off their first couple albums. Over the years I've had a couple of these on long term loans but for some reason never bought one myself until last week. This one came looking for me I think. Anyway, here she is.

69%20LP%20%202.jpg

sgtJoe

After many years I finally have my own Henry Vestine "tribute" guitar. This is a '69 with original pickups. The frets still have small nibs on them so they may be original. I'm able to play the thing though so I don't know for sure about that. Really fun guitar to play and it squawks like crazy.
Canned Heat was one of my favorite all time bands. The first couple bands I played in played all the songs off their first couple albums. Over the years I've had a couple of these on long term loans but for some reason never bought one myself until last week. This one came looking for me I think. Anyway, here she is.

69%20LP%20%202.jpg

Sweet axe, i remember when Sam Ash in Brooklyn and in NYC had many of those on the walls. My next guitar is a '57 Hist LP Cust.

BURSTGANG

Great band........... I saw them as well.Anyone know if Al's "STP" Les Paul is a survivor?............any current photos if so? Sure looked cool! These guys were great players, all of them.Wonderful Music!

getchar()

FYI, Larry was the bass player on super session. Bloomfield/Stills/Kooper classic.

Um. Think you mean Harvey Brooks. (He has a pretty impressive session list).

Larry did some work with John Mayall. I've got Empty Rooms and there's great bass on that album.

WRT the OP. '70 Concert Live in Europe is my favourite canned heat album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canned_Heat_'70_Concert_Live_In_Europe

Alan playing some tasty slide/harmonica (the Mississippi saxophone), Harvey, blazing lead and Larry even plays a bass solo.

Bob had such great stage presence and this album gives you an idea of how he controlled the relationship with the audience e.g. when a young guy runs on stage on Woodstock. Bob gives him a cigarette and let's him stay on stage. Keith or Pete would have hit him over the head with their guitars!

Cussion

I saw Canned Heat last summer and Harvey Mandel played guitar with them. Great show. Fantastic groove.

DANELECTRO

I saw Canned Heat last summer and Harvey Mandel played guitar with them. Great show. Fantastic groove.

I saw Canned Heat last summer as well along with Pat Travers, Rick Derringer, Edgar Winter, and Ten Years After. Canned Heat opened up and were entertaining. Lot of nice blues playing. I liked Travers back in the 80's but I didn't care for song selection at the show and found him to be somewhat boring. Derringer was good, but not like in the 70's. Edgar Winter blew me away. His voice and playing is better than ever and the performance of Frankenstein was absolutely amazing. The guy is a musical genius. I expected to be disappointed with Ten Years After minus Alvin Lee, however Joe Gooch really is a phenomenal guitar player and vocalist and they put on a good show.

Redhod

This thread has really got me thinking about the band. The only CD I have of theirs is "Hooker and Heat," which is quite good. I think some vinyl is in the basement. I did like that band a lot and saw them a few times. It was at Hunter College in '69, I think, that I met Alan Wilson backstage. He was such a lovely fellow.

A little research turned up this history of the band from their website. All sorts of interesting tidbits pop up here. (Larry Taylor's brother was the drummer in the Ventures? Bob "the Bear" got his nickname from PJ Proby?) Boy, the might-have-beens from that era really do pile up.

The story of Canned Heat

zombiwoof

The problem with the current Canned Heat has been that it's not really the original band, Fito De La Parra (drummer) has been the only original member on board for many years. If Harvey Mandel joined them, at least he was in the band for a period of time, but it's still not the classic lineup, as three of them are deceased (Bob Hite, Blind Owl, and Henry Vestine), and I don't think Larry has played with them for many years (he has been busy though, he played with Tom Waits for a long time, and other bands). So, they may still be good, but not really the classic Canned Heat. I would recommend getting all the older albums, up through the Harvey Mandel period, and the Hooker/Heat albums (there was a studio and a live album). IMO, when Bob Hite died, that was the end of the real Canned Heat.

Al

straightblues

Canned Heat has gone through a lot iterations through the year. They had Hollywood Fats in the band. Also the great Junior Watson for awhile. Right now they have Barry Levenson in the band.

They also had the great piano player Ronnie Barrons in the band. I play in a band with Ronnie's son right now. His son is a great harmonica player.

Larry Taylor is still around. He plays with tons of different top shelf folks. He tells me he has been on more records than any other bass player in the world. An interesting note is that he played bass on all of the Monkeys records.

John Vasco

I don't think the original question about Al's guitar has been answered. It was a '54.

Elliot Easton

And Larry Taylor's brother was Mel Taylor, drummer of The Ventures.

Last edited:

c_wester

Sorry im unsure if the person wants the info posted so I will delete it...

EDIT