• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does weight affect tone?

Mats A

My 2012 Les Paul Factory Darkburst is a bit liter than my 2014 Les Paul R9. It also sounds a bit toppier. Does heavier guitars usually have a darker tone?

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
John Good, of Drum Workshop, has done a lot over the years, in terms of wood thickness and density, and it's direct effect on the actual resonant frequency. John demonstrates this all the time. It's pretty much universal and can be described like this...

As the thickness and/or density of a given piece of wood increases, the resonant frequency, pitch, or note produced is higher, takes longer to reach it's peak volume and decays slower... Conversely, as the thickness and/or density of a given piece of wood decreases, the resonant frequency, pitch, or note produced is lower, reaches it's peak volume quicker and decays quicker...

Now, I know that most people think that it's the other way around, but the fact is, as mass increases, the pitch goes up, and as mass decreases the pitch goes down...

It's all about the resonant frequency... :peace2

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Oooops... I never did answer the original question, "Does weight affect tone"? Ultimately, it may or may not. I think that there are far too many variables involved...

My question is... Do YOU like what you hear, or not??? :hmm

Mats A

Yes i like them both. It's nice they sound differently. But i like the guitar to be pretty lite. It feels in your back when you've been standing playing for a couple of hours. Is the 2014 a bit heavier than the 2012 for instance?

jbzoso2002

Beauty of the Burst page 221:

Weight is one of the most important
factors that influences the tone of the
guitar.

Jimmy

Todd68

I think it does. The question I think some may wonder is, "Does light weight make for good tone?" Based on the guitars I prefer, the answer is no. After all is said and done, it seems I prefer a guitar closer to and around 9 pounds. The ones that have stood out to me have been in and around that range. Maybe it's just coincidence.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Beauty of the Burst page 221:

Weight is one of the most important
factors that influences the tone of the
guitar.

Jimmy

No offense to anyone. But some of the "science of sound" (my phrase) in the chapter about "The Voice of the Burst" postulated in the Beauty of the Burst book seems undocumented as to the source of the science. It all reads fascinating of course but I question if the reasoning presented in the book is backed up by controlled experiments with scientific evidence. Personally, I have doubt. But hey, I am not an expert.

Ryan Givhan

ive never heard 2 guitars sound the same even if they weighed exactly the same. oh and "search" about weight and tone, there are literally hundreds of threads about it

Progrocker111

From my experience, heavier Les Pauls have a bit scooped mids, more bass and brighter highs. Often are less resonant too. But it isnt the rule in every situation. :hmm

goldtop0

What is the average weight of a vintage 59 Les Paul?

Mid to late 8s to early 9 lbs I think is around the average.
Get a copy of Beauty Of The Burst as it's got a whole lot of great info(actual weight, neck dims of bursts) and pics in it.

Y

yeti

If you get fat your hearing goes into the shitter. And fat guitar players sound the best.
That's all.

Big Al

I've compared hundreds of guitars. Enough to know that you cannot predict or even expect a distinct voice or tone based on weight alone.

Neck stiffnes and method of coupling with body mass has a much greater effect on tone, more than any other factor, in my experience.

The BOTB is a great book, but, not the final word on the subject. Much is opinion not fact, and should be regarded as such.

Like Todd I find I tend to pick guitars around 9lbs. We must like the same thing. I played a lot of them, enough to know I did not always like every 9lber, nor did they all sound the same.

Now, after decades of 4 sets+, 4 to 5 nites a week, with 12lb Les Pauls ALL of these Historics seem light to me.

Professortwang

This is a much discussed topic that seems to resurface every few months. I have a 2010 featherweight Les Paul that sounds fantastic. It weighs 7 pounds 11 ozs, it's so light that I have wondered if it's chambered.
My 2013 weighs about about 8 3/4. It sounds great as well.

They are slightly different guitars , the lighter one is a bit brighter. Who knows what accounts for the difference: Weight, caps, pots, pickups, etc. It can be maddening. I love both guitars and couldn't choose between them.

For what it's worth my friend that works in a guitar shop that's played tons of Les Pauls believes that the lighter ones are a little brighter sounding.

Last edited:

capitalbear

Oooops... I never did answer the original question, "Does weight affect tone"? Ultimately, it may or may not. I think that there are far too many variables involved...

My question is... Do YOU like what you hear, or not??? :hmm

Sorry, it might be what you wanted to read out of it, but the initial question was: "Does heavier guitars usually have a darker tone?"