• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - Collectors Choice - STP/Montrose

Todd68

I posted a review with a few quick pics a short time ago. Well, I ended up getting the Montrose after all was said and done. I feel that if you are on the CC hunt, this model is the real deal (along with a few others that are not R9s ... given the upcharge for those). The STP's aging and colour are beautiful. As usual, it is hard to capture this with pics, but with an overcast sky, I got some nice shots of the curves. To be honest, I was a little unsure how I would feel about the lack of finish on the back of the neck, but once I felt it, it was a non-issue. It feels incredible. As stated earlier, this is a big sounding LP. I am able to get some great Mick Taylor tones out of it. It cleans up beautifully but can really push the amp (just enough) with gain. The Custombuckers sound incredible in this model. It's odd to me that the generic Custombucker name is tossed around (like the BBs) as if they are all the same. Sandy, Shanks, Walsh, Perry and Montrose and other CCs all have CBs, yet they are clearly wound for each guitar and based on the original Bursts that inspired them. I've played three Shanks, and although slightly different, the similarities were uncanny. So I think it may be safe to assume that the original Montrose is a thicker and richer sounding LP to begin with. It has great, smooth mids that help the guitar sing. The Walsh has a similar warmth to it, but the Montrose has a little more bite. It is a great guitar for slide playing too. I played the guitar through Vintage (style) Deluxe Tweed, 1966 Fender Vibroverb and a small Marshall tube combo. It shined with all. I move around a lot of great guitars between friends. I have to say that I continue to be impressed with the guitars that have come my way as of late. Gibson has certainly delivered. I have my favourites, but there is certainly something that appeals to everybody. I never did get to play a Goldie, but the first CC to come my way was Sandy (aside from a VOS M. Franks). That raised to bar for me. Since then, I have been blown away on numerous occasions by the Signatures and CCs. A couple of the great ones are the darkhorses too - Allman, Louis and Walsh come to mind. Those are killer guitars. The Beast is one of the best LPs I've ever played, and it wasn't all that well received at first (That may be before people played it). I am itching to try a Dutchburst next. If the Montrose is an indication of what's out there, we are living in a tone rich era. :salude

Todd68

Thanks for the comments. I have tried to find pics that show the full back of the original, but I have had no luck. Funny, but when you see the pics of the promo, the finish is on the neck. However, when the guitar went into production, the neck has must off the finish gone. Any insight on this? I did see the few pics with Joe B. and the store pics from Germany. The closest I saw to a full neck shot was the back of the headstock. I do believe a few guys on here have actually held or at least seen the original. Thanks for any info.

TM1

Very Nice! Looks like they've even got the top carve right..

Pip

That is lovely - really like this run - enjoy and rock it.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks for the comments. I have tried to find pics that show the full back of the original, but I have had no luck.

Here's the one I posted in my Burst Pic of the Week thread a few years back:

normal_DSCN7426.JPG

Full size:

DSCN7426.JPG

Todd68

Thanks a lot Tom. How worn is the back of the neck? I am assuming the CC is pretty accurate.

Pip

The neck is very bare on this run? Love some shots please, two of my favourite fender CS guitars have practically nothing more than bare wood on the neck.

Todd68

The neck is very bare on this run? Love some shots please, two of my favourite fender CS guitars have practically nothing more than bare wood on the neck.

As you wish. :salude

Peter Weihe

Hi Todd,

I have a pic of the original 8 6787 Burst's neck from March 2006 but I am unable to upload it.
I have it on my computer and would like to upload and insert it directly into the post. Can one of you guys tell me how to do it?

If you like I could also send it to you per email.

Best regards,
Peter

Todd68

Hi Peter, great to hear from you. I'd love to see any pics you have. Please send them to me at - seticat@hotmail.com - I will upload them through Photobucket.

I really appreciate it Peter. I hope all is well. What are you playing these days?

Todd68

Peter was kind enough so send some pics of the original 8 6787. He also sent a picture of his CC #28. Thank you Peter.

Peter's CC #28. A very nice looking guitar!