• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

a video about the differences in r8 and r9, where is the truth?

djangolad

He's not familiar with the LPF I expect! The "tang" huh? Obviously my R8 had a 57 neck. It was so fat it'd make a mare blush!

I've often thought this place was full of anally retentive skrewballs (which is true) BUT it certainly gets to the nub of the truth about this joyous piece of creation. Watching this dude after spending a few years here makes me thankful to be a part of the forum.:jim

Pat Boyack

I hear he also does vids on the Kennedy assassination, Iran Contra, the 9/11 Conspiracy and President Obama's birth certificate. :##

They made three different levels of pickups, put them in a box and shook it up? Really? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
They made three different levels of pickups, put them in a box and shook it up? Really? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

"They really had no idea if they had the neck angle right, until the guitar was complete... Then they'd try to put strings on it... And often times, the strings would be waaaayyyy too high, or waaayy too low. So they'd remove all the hardware, throw the guitar away and start over"... :wah :ganz :rofl

Axel

It would be interesting to know where he got his truth from.

Pat Boyack

I have NEVER heard any of that stuff so he might just be making it up. :rofl

It would be funny if somebody is watching this and laughing their ass off because they gave him all this bad info.

1jamman

Vintage Original Specs

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-Custom-Shop-VOS.aspx

This is the only link I could find that's still active . There is a link at the bottom of the page that used to go directly to the VOS page, but it no longer is working . Since this 1 is still there i would presume Gibson still stands by it .

That guy in the OP video , I guess never removed a neck pickup and took a look . Geez , Talk about a Hard sell

goldtop72457

sad to say I know Jack.....He's a nice guy and a pretty good local player around the south bay....has a lot of students and has worked for Guitar Showcase for many years.....Don't know what to say about the video.....:dang

Lenny

If you read an interview or watch the rig rundown of a touring guy that doesn't spend his time on the internet, it'll be full of such misconceptions. Everytime I gig a Historic somebody will come deliver me a know-it-all speech mixing up things he heard at guitar shops or from other guitarists and it all gets twisted. Ok, this guy is pushing the boundaries and shouldn't make videos but I guess he doesn't spend a hour on the LPF every day like he should if he's gonna sell guitars.

frenchphil

If you read an interview or watch the rig rundown of a touring guy that doesn't spend his time on the internet, it'll be full of such misconceptions. Everytime I gig a Historic somebody will come deliver me a know-it-all speech mixing up things he heard at guitar shops or from other guitarists and it all gets twisted. Ok, this guy is pushing the boundaries and shouldn't make videos but I guess he doesn't spend a hour on the LPF every day like he should if he's gonna sell guitars.

i completely agree with you, this is a very objective comment

and by the way, i did not mean to criticize the guy, i was just asking if all he said was true, i'm sure he is a nice guy and he can play, so nothing personnal here

but as someone said, if you are selling historic, you should know their history since they are reproduction of the past

what is very common in his speech, is the fact that he's making up things about les paul construction, based on the idea that in the 50's it was all hand made, guys did not know the right angle, it was all hit and miss etc etc

that kind of speech is really made to impress the newbies who come into the shop and stare at the beauty of the flamed top reissue

but that is no excuse, because when you are asking for 5000 dollars for a guitar, you should sound like a pro

just my opinion

and thank god LPF does exist

frenchphil

so funny, mike slub and jukebox posted on youtube!

congrats to you guys for speaking the truth to the world!! lol

LPF members are everywhere, on patrol!! lol

frenchphil

one thing i do agree with this guy when hearing the r8 and r9, the r9 has more attack, more mids

i noticed that also between my r8 and r9

frenchphil

the biggest bulshit is really about the neck tenon being longer in 59!!

nowhere in gibson history is that mentionned!

so according to him the 59 were (and are) more difficult to build soooo guess what? THEY COST MORE

therefore he suggests you try a r8!! which is cheaper, and later on you will want a r9 because it sounds better with the longer tenon!!!

very good seller for r8!

it's funny how at some point he even says that flamed top used on r9 is cheap and sick wood

who would want sick and cheap wood???

Tomcat

Errr...the neck shape changed from 1957 to 1958? That's new to me.

Pat Boyack

The part about the 3 types of pickups being put in the box and then shook up is pretty out there. I wonder if they have those boxes. Maybe Throback has them.

Last edited:

moozak

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
We used to drink Tang and thought we were pretty damn cool.

"In short he doesn't know..." Good one Cogs!

ok... enough of the misinformation... now it's time for some truth...

i was born in 1959... and i personally have a nice long tang.

i hope this positive information helps you all in some way.

:hee

D'Mule

I think in this internet age you have to work at it to be that ignorant about LPs.

What bothers me the most is that he is holding himself out as an authority--a teacher-- even though he has no knowledge to share. Just another case of gross incompetence, laziness, greed, or malice.

You can't believe everything you see on the internet.