• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Standard Question

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
kinda psychedelic scrolling thru all those photos...les paul FLASHBACK!!!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yes, pancake bodies have two thin layers. One in the middle--that we all know--and the one right under the maple. That layer started in 1969 right before the full pancake.

Wilko

here's the "99" stickered 1975 Deluxe with factory routes that I sold a while back:

75burst_body.jpg

JJC

I have a '76 that I've owned since '81 - was the same color but not anymore (long story). Cavity markings and inlays are also consistent with yours. My T-tops are long gone because I didn't like that they squealed - I actually GAVE one away. (facepalm).

Progrocker111

Yes, pancake bodies have two thin layers. One in the middle--that we all know--and the one right under the maple. That layer started in 1969 right before the full pancake.

Dont you know, what was the reason of the upper extra layer?

steve10358

I have a '76 that I've owned since '81 - was the same color but not anymore (long story). Cavity markings and inlays are also consistent with yours. My T-tops are long gone because I didn't like that they squealed - I actually GAVE one away. (facepalm).

That's one of the reasons I swapped mine. Also, I never really knew there was a layer under the top. This thread has been great. Thanks guys.

steve10358

I just received an email response from Gibson. There were 24 Les Paul Standards shipped from the Kalamazoo plant and no shipping totals from the Nashville plant in 1976, so overall totals are not available.

I have since asked them how to identify Kalamazoo guitars from Nashville guitars.

Thanks,

Steve

27sauce

I just received an email response from Gibson. There were 24 Les Paul Standards shipped from the Kalamazoo plant and no shipping totals from the Nashville plant in 1976, so overall totals are not available.

I have since asked them how to identify Kalamazoo guitars from Nashville guitars.

Thanks,

Steve

Yours looks to be from Nashville

Wilko

Some things that would make me say yours is Nashville are the pickup cavities with freehand shaped leg holes, The Schaller hardware, and the short tenon not showing in the cavity.

I don't know if Kalamazoo guitars had stickers either.

Henk

This is a Nashville one, mostly so because of the 'quality control' stamps which are different from Kalamazoo made guitars. There are many other small differences all related to the way they used to make guitars in both factories. I have a '76 LP custom 3pu in natural finish which was a custom option then, all custom orders were kala made in those years AFAIK.

Oh and Kala made guitars had stickers like this one aswell.

DRYBONE

My avatar is a 76, I've owned at least 3 or 4, they must have made more than 20 something?????

steve10358

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. Gibson got back to me and tells me there is no way to identify which plant it's from. They mention that the standard decal was used at both factories.

Either way... I don't care. I love this thing.

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Steve

wernerg

According to published shipping totals, they shipped only 24 Standards in 1976 [and only 1 in 1975!].
Anecdotal evidence suggests this info is way off, but I haven't seen what caused this inconsistant number. :hmm

Is it possible that the reason we see so many more is that over the years, people may have converted Deluxes into standards by routing the pickup cavities, adding humbuckers, and adding a TRC?

Wally

And one thing to remember is that the Deluxe was offerred with the standard humbucker pickups as an option between 1972 and 1976. So, there are Deluxes out there with standard h'bucking routs/pickups...and some folks might have put 'STandard' t-rod covers on them...back when those covers were more readily available.

Trans-Am

... i heard somewhere that GIBSON only have 24 workers back then and the 25th was young Henry in training? :moon

Peace!!:4zone

Flavum

Sorry to revive this old thread, but it's a topic that interests me greatly. I also owned a 1976 Standard, purchased new. I think the "24 produced" claim is waaay off the mark, as I've been scouring the Web for years and have seen many, many of them for sale. That obviously doesn't include the vast majority of owners who are not actively selling their '76. I'm talking about true Standards, with large humbuckers, "00" serial numbers and "Les Paul Standard" on the headstock decal.

76LP.jpg

Bob Womack

There are, in fact, ways to tell where the guitars came from. The Nashville Standard series had the large script truss rod cover and maple necks. Kalamazoo had the small script "Standard" on the truss rod cover and mahogany necks. Nashville took over all LP production except special-run guitars during 1976 and that is why there were so few from K'zoo.

Nashville always used the stickers. Kalamazoo mostly used the stamp under the finish but did some special runs with the stickers, so if you've got one without the stickers you can pretty much bet it came from Kalamazoo.

So you can dial it in pretty well.

Bob

Flavum

Thanks for the info. I would imagine mine was from Nashville, like a few thousand others.

Kris Ford

There are, in fact, ways to tell where the guitars came from. The Nashville Standard series had the large script truss rod cover and maple necks. Kalamazoo had the small script "Standard" on the truss rod cover and mahogany necks. Nashville took over all LP production except special-run guitars during 1976 and that is why there were so few from K'zoo.

Nashville always used the stickers. Kalamazoo mostly used the stamp under the finish but did some special runs with the stickers, so if you've got one without the stickers you can pretty much bet it came from Kalamazoo.

So you can dial it in pretty well.

Bob

Does this translate to SGs as well? I have a "00" code Standard..I don't recall any stamps but I'll crack 'er open and look..