• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fretboard worries...

gbstrat

The fret board on my 2008 LP Standard is ultra light in colour (although it wasn't that way when I got it new, I'm sure) I'm worried that it's drying out and may cause problems (shrinkage/cracking) I've tried Kyser Lem-Oil a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to make it any better. . .

Thoughts?

Triburst

Something I noticed on the directions of the Kyser product is:
Rub thoroughly. Polish to desired luster with another dry cloth. If surface remains dull there's a wax build up. Reapply and let stand for 20 minutes before wiping dry.

Let me guess... There's also a white substance in the open grain when it dries, too.

I'm really not a fan of this stuff, because there's no need for WAX ON A FRETBOARD.

The good news is you're only out about five bucks.

Toss that stuff and go to your local music store and buy some "bore oil." That is vastly better, and will also darken your fretboard.

There is a bore oil type product made just for fretboards, and it's very popular around here. Fret Doctor (linked) is very good stuff. A bottle will last you for years.

toxpert

Fret Doctor. One small bottle will last years and does a fantastic job on fretboard. Will also darken the wood.

Search here and also Google their website for additional accolades and info.

gbstrat

Don't seem to be able to get Fret Doc in here in little ol' Engulund. Excuse my ignorance, but is bore oil the same stuff that is used on clarinets etc?

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Don't seem to be able to get Fret Doc in here in little ol' Engulund. Excuse my ignorance, but is bore oil the same stuff that is used on clarinets etc?

Yes it is... Bore oil is fine... The fretboard oil of choice for some.

Just don't go saturating that thing... Apply, wipe off... :salude