• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP string gauge of preference

D_rifter

Don't know if this has been asked before, sorry if it has, but what string gauge do you prefer to use on your LP?

Over the years I've settled on the "hybrid" 9-46's (9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46). I find they give a good tonal balance and overall feel - I like the silky feel of the plain strings and the tighter feel of the wounds on a LP.

On my Fenders I like to use the regular set 10-46, they seem to handle the trem better.

What about you? ... and why?

bluesjuke

I use the same on Strats & Les Pauls as you do. I Also use the 10-46 on my 335's. When I bought my '02 Standard I fell in love with the 9-46 hybrids. This surprised me as when I went to 10's years ago I never thought I would ever use anything lighter again but these 9-46's came on it & I was set on them. However this is only on my Lesters.

Fading Fast

11-52 top wrapped. By stringing over the stop bar the break angle is decreased therefore allowing a higher guage of string to be used with high bendability and extemely low breakage.

Sea Bass

I use 10-60s on my LPs and my strat.Gives the normal higher string guage, and the heavier bottom.

D_rifter

Fading Fast said:
11-52 top wrapped. By stringing over the stop bar the break angle is decreased therefore allowing a higher guage of string to be used with high bendability and extemely low breakage.

I used to do that years ago too, with 10's. The stopbar would be screwed right down to the top and the strings wrapped around for a lower angle before they hit the saddles.

I don't know whether it was just my impression, but I found that the sustain seemed to loose a bit. So I stopped doing that and instead adjusted the stop bar so that the strings' angle would just miss the edge of the bridge and hit the saddles at a reasonable angle.

That made sense to me because my thinking was that like a violin's bridge, the stronger the pressure exerted on the bridge by the strings, the more each strings' vibrations are transferred through the bridge to the body for resonance ... but I could be wrong.

LostDog

I tried all the regular sets from 9 to 42 up to those 11 to 49 and all kind of hybrids inbetween. However for me the regular 10 to 46 turned out to be my favourite as for tone and playability (I now settled with D'Addarios Nickelplated and Richard Rider Pure Nickel Strings - although I really love the tone of the Gibson Vintage Reissue Strings most but they are just to expensive :toobad )

mikey_guit

I use GHS TNT 10-52... with a regular set of 10's the wound strings feel extremly flubbery to me, kinda imbalanced. So I use the hybrid set. Next time I'll even try the Zakk Boomers, 10-60. I just hope my nut/bridge will be able to handle these :)

gitRhero

10-46... Of whatever boxes of strings the guitar shop has on special.
Regular Slinky's right now.
Whatever strings I change too always seem to sound better than the ones I changed from...LOL

Jeff_H

9-46's for me all around. I've got my Goldtop top wraped, and my Standard strung normally....I think I hear a difference, but the GT is also a Historic, so not sure it's a fair comparison.

Just ordered 5 sets of the Snake Oils to take for a spin. Should be here tomorrow.

Crusher

.09 - .046 on everything except my LP Studio, which gets .10 - .052

Regular lights 10-46....usually Boomers.

I may start trying 11-52, I'll probably try them first on a Strat, I usually like heavier strings on a strat when I play on that has them.
No Way a wound third. It just messes with my bends too much.

I was really kinda chuckling when I saw the guy at the show selling Nut Juice, claiming it would keep one from breaking strings.... Since I went up from 9's to 10's I've probably broken 1 string in the past 25 years (not counting those rusty shreds on a Pawnshop POS), although I can't really even recaLL 1. And I only change strings about every 2-3 years on my guitars... I have a body chemistry that doesn't tend to lead to corrosion, and I don't play any one that much. My Baby Doll last had the strings changed a week before 9-11, I took her out to Worcester Mass. for my gig.... and ended up driving home to Texas Sept. 11-13th.
I usually change them before a gig (which is pretty rare) or if I'm going to jam and I really think they're sounding dull.

rmconner80

D'addario 11-49 on all my guitars; however, I tune down a 1/2 step due to the band I play in.

For standard tuning, D'addario 10-46.

Rains

Les Paul Froum Member
.09-.42
it seems best for soloing when using a lot of overdrive/distortion.
heavier strings sound too harsh and clinical, the .09 makes it sound fluid and organic.
when playing clean(er) you would need a heavier gauge, but i pretty much never play clean.

Todd Louis

10-46 on both my Historic's and my CS Fenders pure nickel never top raped yet. I bring the tail up just a little. Ball's are best on the LP's and the No Caster and Strat's Fender pure nickel bullets but I'm not fond of Fender string's. They don't feel right some how.?.

woodeye01

For me, it depends primarily on the scale length of the guitar. On, shorter scale guitars (24 3/4") I use 10-46s. On longer scale guitars (25 1/2") I use 9-42s to help ease the increased effort needed to bend strings the same amount. Especially if there's a trem involved. I have shorter fingers and that can be an issue for me. I have a 25" scale Carvin too (same as PRS) and find that I can get away with 10-46s on that.

Magnum

I always use .010-.046 but recently tried some Les Paul Signature .009-.046 hybrids on a Paul. I liked them.