• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Real or fale?

Cam63

It *looks* good to me.

Back, headstock, binding/fret nibs, pickup/control spacing, bridge, screw locations all seem correct. Comes with COA and even original matching receipt. I'm not too worried that the original pickups were swapped out...

...but what *really* bugs me is *no case*. I've heard that this is a red flag to some folks. I don't understand why someone would drop almost $3,700 on a guitar and ditch the case.

Am I being paranoid? Maybe the dude just needed some cash and sold the case?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331081501428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

J T

Nothing suspicious

Looks like a nice R8

replaced pu's, and caps.

That seller probably sold the case for some reason or the original case got messed up. Who knows?

Drew68

Looks real to me. Yes, a lack of case is always a red flag that the buyer should question but this looks legit. Probably just trying to make a little extra $$$ selling the case separately.

Personally, I have a '10 R8 myself and I'm not a big fan of the "Gibson Custom Shop" case it came with. It's a decent case but the stenciling might as well say "PLEASE STEAL THIS!!!" in big gold letters. I almost always use an aftermarket (and un-stenciled) Canadian-made TKL case when transporting my guitar.

Cam63

Thanks everybody. Good point on the "no-name" case Drew68. I was particularly interested in this auction since it was in Canada so I wouldn't having any importing/customs hassles.

Xpensive Wino

It's been bid past what I'd be willing to pay...good luck, everybody else.

Big Al

Not fale.

Hey Drew, you mean a thief wouldn't steal a USA case, or an unmarked one? A thief might not want to thieve until tempted by a logo??? That my friend is some twisted logic and the lamest reason I have ever heard for not liking something.:rofl :rofl :rofl

The guy wants to keep the case. I don't see anything sinister afoot, unless he had to replace the case, because even empty it was too tempting for the logo motivated thief and was stolen.

QUESTION. Why would you modify a reissue?
REPLY. Because it is a freakin' reissue. :hmm

Drew68

Hey Drew, you mean a thief wouldn't steal a USA case, or an unmarked one? A thief might not want to thieve until tempted by a logo??? That my friend is some twisted logic and the lamest reason I have ever heard for not liking something.:rofl :rofl :rofl

A plain, unmarked guitar case tells people you have a guitar. A "Gibson Custom Shop" case tells people you have a very valuable guitar. I'd rather not advertise this. That's just me.

Some people will steal anything. Others will only take the chance if they think they reward outweighs the risk. That's not twisted logic. It's the truth.

Big Al

A plain, unmarked guitar case tells people you have a guitar. A "Gibson Custom Shop" case tells people you have a very valuable guitar. I'd rather not advertise this. That's just me.

Some people will steal anything. Others will only take the chance if they think they reward outweighs the risk. That's not twisted logic. It's the truth.

Just struck me as funny. An Epiphone case oughta do it.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
That reminds me of a joke:
Q: Why did the roadie wreck the van?
A: Because it was rented

Cam63

I didn't bid on it. I was a bit uneasy after seeing a Chinese copy of an R8 online that was *very* accurate. The counterfeiters have wised up and addressed a *lot* of the issues found in the numerous "how to spot a fake" webpages. The only obvious issue (on the fake) was that the serial number font and spacing seemed off.

That missing case still bugged me too. Sure it had all the paperwork but who's to say the guy didn't have a real R8, bought a fake for $350, and then gave the original paperwork with the fake. Maybe he would rather have an extra 2 grand than some paperwork for his real R8 (which was safe in it's original case). The listing emphatically stated "NO REFUNDS".

I think I'll stick with one of my regular guitar shops. One had a flawless 2007 CR8 with the Torres Engineering Jimmy Page 4-pot switching. They were asking 3,199 which seemed insane at the time but now not so bad. The neck was a perfect fit for me - fairly chunky. It sounded great too.

Second choice would be a traditional pro (so far I've only seen 1 in Canada but not the 50's neck I'm looking for <sigh>) or maybe just a nicely beat up traditional (non-Pro).

The search continues...

Last edited:

Drew68

I didn't bid on it. I was a bit uneasy after seeing a Chinese copy of an R8 online that was *very* accurate. The counterfeiters have wised up and addressed a *lot* of the issues found in the numerous "how to spot a fake" webpages. The only obvious issue (on the fake) was that the serial number font and spacing seemed off.

The guitar photographed in this auction was a real R8 and it sold for a pretty decent price. Unfortunately, the second post on this thread was stock_hippie chiming in that "theres something about it that looks fake..." and this might've swayed you against it.

Since you are fairly new here, someone, myself included, should've pointed out that despite Hippie's thousands of posts, he's a troll who doesn't know anything about Les Pauls. He's never owned a Gibson Les Paul and never will. He doesn't even know how to play guitar. For failing to do this, I apologize.

Oh well. There will be others. Shame too because my '10 R8 is the best guitar I've ever owned. Gibson tweaked the neck profile a bit that year and it is just perfect. Some eBay winner is going to have an awesome guitar shipped to their door here in the near future. Keep looking though!

Gibsononly

<snip>

A lot of those chinese sites are using pictures of the real thing. I've seen pictures taken from directly from the Gibson site itself. The guitar that will arrive at your door will still be easily recognized as a fake.