• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New GC (custom) Pro. Warning, green guitar!

trapland

I got this a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at 5 year old threads about green guitars and showed my wife a few. She found this one and asked if i liked it. :)

It came with all nickel hardware except the grovers were chrome! How the hell did Gibson Custom get that wrong? The dealer sent my replacements, probably cuz they didn't want thier green guitar back.

I know green guitars kick up a crapstorm of controversy here, but I like it. Others will too so I'm sharing. I have enough "traditional" Les Pauls, I wanted one that was different. With the electronics, its more of a Swiss army knife than anything else I have so why not make it crazy green? Its technically Iguana Burst, but it much less yellow in person than the photo shows. I prefer to call it MARGARITA burst, sounds more appetizing. It really fades from light green to darker green, and I can only see ANY yellow hue when it has blue near it. Next to my 60 Historic, the cherry sunburst is really yellow.

The neck is quite large. Its the largest neck I've ever owned, but not the largest Ive played. I played a 56? Historic goldtop that was huge and a 59 that was a bit bigger, but this one is pretty big. Compared to the "59 rounded" necks from the 1990s, its big. Its like mid to late 90s Historic size and feel. It may be too big for me, I prefer the 90s Gibson USA style 59 rounded although I have a 60 Historic from 2008 thats fairly flat with big shoulders that I like too. I MAY have someone I trust look into reshaping the neck. Hell, who cares if its modded, its a green guitar right? I'll decide after I have a few more hours playing time with it.

The thing sounds AMAZING! It has BB2&3 and its EVER so slighly hotter than my 60 Historic with BB1&2, but almost dead on identical in sound. I really like it. And with the coil taps and phase switch its got every LP sound I like. I played along with Led Zep Physical Graffiti through a PTP 72 Marshall and there wasn't a sound I couldnt nail. I didn't even have to pick up the Telecaster.

I like the electronics and pickup sound choices a lot. Very Jimmy Pagey.......except, what on earth was GC thinking with the pull pot as a kill switch?!?!?! Its the most useless thing ever. Was it thier way of making sure we always have a backup pullpot? If you use it for "stutter effects" like the website suggests, it will be broken in 2 minutes. Those pots cant handle that abuse. And as a mute? Come on, how did we ever manage the last 50 years?

I read that the newer "Standards" had a straight through pull pot to allow the pickup(s) to bypass the tone/volume network. That might be interesting. Or wiring the neck coils to be series out of phase or ANYTHING but a pointless kill switch. Ideas here?

CS2007600041_zps55a0d820.jpg

trapland

Oh I forgot to ask..... How do you read these new serial numbers? I dont even know what model year this guitar is. CS200760, is it 2006? 2012? Cant tell?

shred

I think that's pretty cool... Congrats that's a nice score :salude

SimonBarSinister

I love those Iguana Bursts... That is sweet... I think those are the GC Standard Custom Pro.. I had a Pelham blue one... Mine was from 2011... I think yours is from 2012...

Texas Blues

Margarita burst.

I like that name.

Gig that 'thang at the bar on St. Paddy's day and you'd have drinks lined up all night for free!

trapland

Margarita burst.

I like that name.

Gig that 'thang at the bar on St. Paddy's day and you'd have drinks lined up all night for free!

Never thought of that. I never drink while I play, but my wife likes my band better if she's lit. Lol. Maybe I'll
yell to the crowd while I hold up the guitar, "hey, if you like green, buy that lady a drink." It's a total win-win.

c_wester

To me that looks good if Peter Green, Mick Ronson or Lord Merry Jerry Garcia played that we would all want one.

joemags54

Love it!....The whole planet is going green!....Use it in good, (environmentally sound), health.:salude (You could always claim it's a well aged gold top!.)

Scott L

Nice!

There's one at my local GC in a really dark brown that is just languishing - great player and sounds fantastic, but FUGLY. It's a sin, the top really has some great flaming.

JHMO, but White Knobs would be a better match...

images

L

loufed52

Margarita burst.

I like that name.

I sold this to a guy in Ireland.
He was quite pleased to get a green guitar.
The Iguana Burst LP is a very cool green guitar.
Why does everyone on this have to like/dislike the same things?
Note that I have a Trans. Purple LP in my avatar.

DCG3.jpg

DCG1.jpg