• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Faded refinish Les Pual

nicolasrivera

Les Paul Froum Member
After thinking it over and over i decided to do my first les paul refinish to my heavily relic les pual, all the stain and faded was done by hand with NO SPRAY GUNS, the lacquered finish was done with a spray can and polished by hand too.

Hope you like it,The flames really got enhanced and i love it and think i will do nothing more to this baby........after I'm done with the back and sides. :)

Evolution-comparison.jpg

Sanded body, ready for staining:

a0f037ee.jpg

First stage of staining:

2003-to-1959-faded-refinish-work.jpg

Final polished top:

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02293.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

Guitar Whiskey

I'm out of time tonight but will comment more later. I do like what you did allot. Also, those are the lightest strings I've ever seen.

nicolasrivera

Les Paul Froum Member
Thanks a lot guys really appreciated.

Here is a shot of the products i used for the finish.

Myfinishingproducts.jpg

Nico.

Seoighs

Great result!

Can you provide more details about 'the process'?

Did you use pore filler after chemical stripping and sanding?...how many lacquer coats?...wet sand or power polish?

inquiring minds...

Kossoff

:wow Holy CRAP! That thing looks AWESOME!

It was pretty before, but I think it looks SO MUCH BETTER now!

Great work

nicolasrivera

Les Paul Froum Member
Great result!

Can you provide more details about 'the process'?

Did you use pore filler after chemical stripping and sanding?...how many lacquer coats?...wet sand or power polish?

inquiring minds...

After i used the stripping juice i was scared because the binding started melting, so i did it quickly, after that i used 150 grit dry sanding paper, then 220 and then 320.

I grabs some old t-shirts cut little pieces of it and use it as brush. The combination of the stains was tricky and i used a piece of pine to try the colors before i got it right and use it on the paul.

i spent about 2 hours total in staining the top, let it dry over the sunday night and on monday noon started spraying the lacquer, 2 good coats every 24 hours and light sanding with 2,400 grit wet sanding paper between every 24 hours, this until thursday morning where i did the final polishing with 3200, 3800, 4000, 8000, 1200 wet sand papers and a polishing paste #4 Swirl Remover from Stewart-Macdonald on a t-shirt. :)

Atomic

well i would say that you did an exceptional job. especially given the tools you had at hand and the rattle can varnish you used to finish the top. it really looks great!

did you refin the back and sides as well or just the top? Also, im not really sure but i do believe that there may be some plastic safe strippers out there too just for anyone who may be interested.

nicolasrivera

Les Paul Froum Member
well i would say that you did an exceptional job. especially given the tools you had at hand and the rattle can varnish you used to finish the top. it really looks great!

did you refin the back and sides as well or just the top? Also, im not really sure but i do believe that there may be some plastic safe strippers out there too just for anyone who may be interested.

I'll start doing the back sides and neck this weekend and yes i will look for a plastic safe stripper.

Thanks.

rgs

I liked the relic job you did but this is really nice. Love the color.

CocoTone

Les Paul Froum Member
Please don't relic this one!! It way too pretty!!!:wah

CT.

nicolasrivera

Les Paul Froum Member
This is an update on my 2003 LP refinish, now its time to show the back and sides.

I need your opinions on whether to leave it as it is right now, with all that beautiful grain showing in all its porous glory, or continue applying lacquer until the mirror gloss comes out. I have to say that i like it this way, but know it will look great with high gloss too......decisions......decisions....Urrrr

Back sanded ready for staining:

back-unfinished.jpg

Reflection of the porous back:

Back-01.jpg

I did not know the back had so much going on, with all this refinish test i have learned that Gibson does not do its best to really show how beautiful its wood can be, same happened with the top, i has much more flames now.

back-side-by-side.jpg

neck-joint-comparison.jpg

side-comparison.jpg