• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are the LP Junior & Special Historics in the new lineup?

GazzaBloom

I'm saddened that Gibson have seen fit to discontinue the Jr & Special models in the RI/VOS/Historic line.

:-(

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
They discontinued them. It costs them nearly as much to make a Junior or Special as it does to make an R9 and they can get a whole lot more money selling an R9. It's a business at the end of the day with one objective.

TM1

I'd like to find a 2013/14 double cut Jr.(main cause they used Hide Glue and the right Trussrod in the neck

davidd

They discontinued them. It costs them nearly as much to make a Junior or Special as it does to make an R9 and they can get a whole lot more money selling an R9. It's a business at the end of the day with one objective.

My 2005 CS single cut Special is every bit as good as my R8, if not better. Just goes to show how less can be more. Dumb move on Gibson's part IMO.

TM1

Yeah, I agree. Originally these were suppose to be "budget/student" type guitars..

J T

nowadays you might find a real vintage one for a good price...

marshall1987

A Les Paul Junior or Special costing as much to make as an R9? Really? I find that hard to believe....

Texas Blues

Doesn't matter.

Hopefully Gibson will continue the USA Jr.

Mine has a multi piece body and stock p90.

It rocks harder than penitentiary steel.

True story.

moonweasel

A Les Paul Junior or Special costing as much to make as an R9? Really? I find that hard to believe....

I concur wholeheartedly. There is no way they cost the same in labor, and certainly cost more in parts as their are tons more to order, install, train people to install etc. Sorting and sourcing flamed maple cost $$$ in labor and material over a slab of mahogany in a Jr/Spc.

On the contrary, other than lower demand than R6-9, I bet per unit Jrs are as profitable or maybe much more so than a carved top LP (percentage profit I mean). $2500+ for a slab of mahogany with 1/3 the number of parts to install?

Does the original poster KNOW they have been cancelled? Seems like everyone is taking the ball and running with it. Could just be an R4 situation, where they are just put on the back burner and done in batches.

Pip

All I know is my TV Yellow double cut howls like a dog on heat - iconic in all respects, if they are no longer being produced then it's a really sad day.

renderit

I concur wholeheartedly. There is no way they cost the same in labor, and certainly cost more in parts as their are tons more to order, install, train people to install etc. Sorting and sourcing flamed maple cost $$$ in labor and material over a slab of mahogany in a Jr/Spc.

On the contrary, other than lower demand than R6-9, I bet per unit Jrs are as profitable or maybe much more so than a carved top LP (percentage profit I mean). $2500+ for a slab of mahogany with 1/3 the number of parts to install?

Does the original poster KNOW they have been cancelled? Seems like everyone is taking the ball and running with it. Could just be an R4 situation, where they are just put on the back burner and done in batches.

+10.7

GazzaBloom

No, of course I don't know for sure, I don't work for Gibson, but these models are not listed in the lineup on the website anymore.

I would have thought that if they are offered then they would be advertised in the lineup?

BCR/Greg

Les Paul Forum Member and Host of Guitar Shop
I read it on the itrawebz.

It's GOTTA be true.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
A major Gibson dealer told me it costs Gibson not a lot more to make a Historic R9 than it does a junior meaning the profit margin on an R9 is much bigger than on a junior. They buy parts in bulk and the costings are closer at build cost but wider apart at selling price. Bottom line is they make a LOT more profit on an R9 than a Junior.

Don

Doesn't matter.

Hopefully Gibson will continue the USA Jr.

Mine has a multi piece body and stock p90.

It rocks harder than penitentiary steel.

True story.

I had one of these from about 2001. It was a rockin' guitar! The only one I really miss!

marshall1987

A major Gibson dealer told me it costs Gibson not a lot more to make a Historic R9 than it does a junior meaning the profit margin on an R9 is much bigger than on a junior. They buy parts in bulk and the costings are closer at build cost but wider apart at selling price. Bottom line is they make a LOT more profit on an R9 than a Junior.

That may be true, but I would think that there are fewer customers willing to spend upwards of $5,000 to $6,000 on a new R9 vs. customers able to spend more like $2500.00. In the 1950's the sale of Les Paul Juniors was in excess of 20,000 units, far more than the Les Paul Standards and Customs. The Junior was extremely popular!