• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who Came Up With the Les Paul Shape?

J

Jesse Segovia

Sorry, folks, but the Gibson Les Paul is hands-down the most beautiful guitar in the world. No computers or modeling software was used in its design, and I assume Gibson didn't have too much of a focus group program in place at that time, but the shape Gibson came up with is absolutely perfect. It looks completely different from every angle, and from every angle it's gorgeous!

So who came up with the shape? I know it's been said Les Paul didn't really have all that much to do with the design of the original Les Paul, that just about every design point (except for the trapeze tailpiece) already existed on other Gibson guitars of the day. But I've never seen any other Gibson guitar that looks remotely like the Les Paul, at least to my eyes. The ES-175 is nothing like the Les Paul, other than it also being a single-cutaway guitar - the Les Paul is NOT just a much smaller ES-175.

Another question - has the shape ever changed? As I've said Les Pauls look very different at different angles, and sometimes you see Les Pauls that seem to have a much larger rear area, from the pinched-in middle to the rear strap button. Other times I'll see Les Pauls that look shorter and thicker than others. Is this just a trick of the light? Are all current Les Paul models made to the exact same outline as the originals?

Jesse

Johnnytone

Les Paul Forum Member
A similar shape was first used on an APP guitar in the 40s I believe. I have it in a book somewhere. It was made by some guy and he never made any more.

I'm sure someone willl know more about it.

GeeJay

Don't know who came up with the profile.

But I've read that Ted McCarty went for the carved top because Fender didn't have a carving machine , so it gave Gibson an edge over the Telecaster (Broadcaster or Nocaster) at the time. And Les Paul wanted the Gold-top 'cause it looked expensive.

Litcrit

I've read so many differing accounts of that I don't know if the "truth" will ever come out. I also believe Ted McCarty played a Major role. Since he also designed the ES series (335-355), the V and the Explorer (and probably played a big role with SGs), I think he's up there with Leo as one of the most important guitar designers of the 20th century.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
It's just a guitar shape. With a sharp cutaway. Made smaller because of the weight, etc.
The Les Paul is pretty much a scaled down version of the 1946 ES shape. 175, etc.

Archtop guitars are generally credited to Loyd Loar. It was the geezers there, and Gibson's conservative brand image that made them do the archtop on the Les Paul design (Les didn't like it)

Luca P

Johnnytone said:
A similar shape was first used on an APP guitar in the 40s I believe. I have it in a book somewhere. It was made by some guy and he never made any more.

I'm sure someone willl know more about it.

Yeah, it's in Gruhn's/Carter's book that I have.
I'ts built by some guy named Appleton, I believe.
Some ten years before Les came with the design. I'll have to look it up to be sure.
The body is deeper than a LP. I believe he used a Gibson neck as well.

Wilko

The Jesus model had holes in it. Cross bracing. Thorny headstock, etc.
You know the drill.

ajowens

gentlegiant said:
...Amen brother ..can we then assume that Jesus came up with the double-cutaway model :lolspin
Sure, but then who came up with the SG??? :tfiend

garywright

ajowens said:
Sure, but then who came up with the SG??? :tfiend
..ahh duuhhh...that would be Jesus also.. Son of God (SG)

Last edited:

BIGMAN714

Other observations...

I entirely agree, the LP shape is one of those brilliant marriages of form and function in industrial design, that makes it a classic like the Zippo lighter, or the Coke bottle. The layout of controls is logical, functional and clean, the top carve is unique and beautiful, even the angle of the neck and headstock seems like dancers graceful balletic hand and arm gestures. And it has a perfect visual "balance", not too small or large and well proportioned.

Last edited:

ScreamingTrees

Here is a liitle more info on the guitar as quoted from 'ELECTRIC GUITARS-The Illustrated Encyclopedia'

Paul Bigsby of Downey, California was a major influence on country music in the late 1940's and early 1950's. He is often credited with building the first solidbody electric guitar. In fact, the ground-breaking instrument he built for Merle Travis in 1948 had a solid neck-through section with hollowbody "wings". Nonetheless, the instrument is of enormous historical importance, being closer to what we now think of as a solidbody electric guitar than anything that had existed before. Bigsby is, however, more famous for is bolt-on hand vibrato unit for guitar, also developed for Travis.

Sorry for the funky scan but the picture in the book is so large that it doesn't completely fit in my scanner. Anyway, there ya go!

Litcrit

Wilko said:

Archtop guitars are generally credited to Loyd Loar. It was the geezers there, and Gibson's conservative brand image that made them do the archtop on the Les Paul design (Les didn't like it)

ORVILLE GIBSON is credited for initiating archtop guitar design.
Lloyd Loar is credited with perfecting the design and creating the L5 and the 20's mandolins that are still considered by many to be the finest ever made.

Wilko

Orville. Of course... Thanks for that. I knew it was one of those guys way before McArtey.:dude

John Catto

This is the "App" guitar

I don't think it was really influential however. Apparently App approached Gibson and could barely get an interview (he did use a Gibson neck to make it however). Paul Bigsby's guitar was cool and one of my personal favorites (take a look at my www link for my own take on it) but I don't Gibson was terribly aware of it, Fender most certainly was however and used a number of it's features (non-angled headstock made from 1" blank, through body stringing, that headstock etc.). Like Wilko said, the Les Paul is just a standard Gibson archtop design like the 175 with the then new Florentine cutaway shrunk down in size to reduce weight, that's all.

appguitar-1.jpg

Last edited: