• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is The Les Paul a Jazz Guitar?

karl1

How many of you use a Paul as a jazz guitar? I tend to use my Es guitars.

lonesomesheik

You can really get into it with a R4 : neck pu, tone on 3 volume 5-7, the amp is your choice:eek:la

Doc Sausage

My Black Beauty Custom in the bridge position, with 57 Classic PuPs, sounds very jazzy. Unfortunately, I don't.:rolleyes

J T

If you play Jazz with it, then it's a Jazz guitar.

Mr Hockey

absolutely a jazz guitar. My Les Paul special with the p90's sounds sweet when I attempt to play jazz. I did say attempt !!

S a m

16987d1420643596-jim-hall-les-paul-jimhall_lespaul-jpg

Res ipsa loquitur

Last edited:

karl1

Thanks to those who gave a positive feedback- I get tired of people who have really nothing to add- as I asked- how many of you use a Les Paul as a Jazz guitar- a simple question not meant to create a harsh knee jerk reaction- after all- I believe the LP was meant for Jazz- By Les himself. Ps- I think Jim Hall also used a Tele!

6950whead

I used a fretless wonder LP, with flatwound strings, as a jazz guitar for years.

Bob H.

I recently saw Romero Labambo playing a R7 Goldtop playimg with Diane Reeves. He was outstanding. I use an R9 at times for Jazz. Just have to dial the tone knobs down.

Big Al

Thanks to those who gave a positive feedback- I get tired of people who have really nothing to add- as I asked- how many of you use a Les Paul as a Jazz guitar- a simple question not meant to create a harsh knee jerk reaction- after all- I believe the LP was meant for Jazz- By Les himself. Ps- I think Jim Hall also used a Tele!

????? I didn't see any knee jerk posts Karl, not sure what this is in responce to. I do not believe that a specific guitar is genra bound. It has always amused me how some categorise a Tele as a Country Guitar, a 6120 as a Rockabilly Guitar, a Flying V is a Metal Guitar and so on.

Any limitations imposed on a type or model of guitar are due to the expectations of the player.

Lots of good Jazz played on Les Pauls.

I would take exception with the statement that "the Les Paul was meant for Jazz." Or that Les was a Jazz guitarist. The Les Paul was meant to compete with the Tele as a solid body electric guitar. A new and exciting type of musical instrument. It was never marketed as a "Jazz Guitar" nor is there any indication it was conceived as one.

Pop, pop music seems to be the targeted market and Les was the greatist pop guitarist of his time.

Y

yeti

A friend of mine is a Jazz player. he owns 4 vintage Les Pauls but he never uses them. If you asked him and most jazz players the answer would probably be "maybe, but it certainly isn't the quintessential Jazz guitar".

It can be....I got a great classic jazz tone with flatwounds and a Princeton Reverb.

Elliot Easton

All you really have to be careful of is if you want a lead guitar or a rhythm guitar, lol! Anybody old enough to remember when we thought there might be a difference?