• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Spotlight reissue

songsj

Has anyone out there bought one of the new Spotlight Reissues.
Post pics if you can.

LPNick

I wouldnt be suprised, they werent popular when they came out and are now almost a joke...haha

songsj

You may be right LPNick, I guess my taste in Les Pauls is pretty bad. The last ones I bought and took a chance on were the Music Machine Stingers!!! If what you're saying is true I figure there HAS to be a few of the '83 JOKES in mint condition that people would be more than happy to dump my way for about 2K. Let me know if you find any.

Last edited:

Stevedenver

I wouldnt be suprised, they werent popular when they came out and are now almost a joke...haha

well they only produced 211-so be definition they couldnt be popular
and there are several respected folks here that think they are well above average les pauls-certainly no joke-

for a while carlos santana didnt think his was a joke either

and try to find one

i have an original ANT and its a great guitar-sound great plays great and has the the feel of a vintage les paul

admittedly the center stripe looks like a neck through or soemthing and most guitarists imho are tradionalist

from your response i am confident youve never handled one or played one

:sour :rolleyes

psigh4

LPSFNAGH.jpg

Here is a picture from the Gibson Site.

Kink56 found one on ebay and the walnut stripe is bigger than on the original.

Link to Gibson's Canadian Page

Songsj how do you like it?

How does it sound.

I love my 1983.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
songsj bought the one on Ebay, the only one (RI) I have ever seen!

I have owned 8 1983 Spotlights, and whoever thinks they are a joke, knows not of what he speaks!! They have the tone and vibe of an 80s Flametop RI, which IMHO are quite kick-ass!

psigh4

I did see one on a Japanese guitar site. I can't remember how much they were asking for it but it also had the wide stripe.

Here is some for sale at MSN.

For that price, I would be looking for a 1983.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
They use a stock photo. I DO NOT trust that the walnut center will be the correct width, and that one thing ruined it for me! Plus the fact that Gibson pictures the correct width, but sells the wrong width!

MikeSlub

Administrator
In addition to the fact that the walnut strip isn't the same width, the binding is not multi ply brown/white like on the 1983's.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
I don't think Gibson could reissue a 2006 R9 properly in 2008!! They simply forget their own history!!

LPNick

Sorry, I didn't mean the guitar is a joke / didnt mean to offend anyone! I actually meant I think its funny that they reissued a guitar that wasn't very popular. Granted it probably is not a poor guitar and since it was a special run im sure it was of much higher quality than my LP or others today. IMHO itd be like Gibson re-issuing some of the weird SGs from the 70s and 80s.

songsj

Well guys I received mine on Monday as new. I have not had a chance to plug it in and play it yet but here's my take on it so far. It really is a great looking guitar even with the wider stripe. It looks a lot nicer than in the photos. I ran the serial no. past Gibson to be sure it was not a one off or something else and it checked out legit. A Spotlight Reissue. Gibson now tells me that all the reissues were made with the wider stripe and the one in the picture was a prototype. As with ALL Gibson Reissues there are some things that probably would have made many of us happier. My favorite '83's were some of the quilt tops. I'll have more to say after I set it up and play it but the build quality looks good. I'm not going to debate the wider walnut stripe issue as I still think I prefer the narrow stripe. However considering the rarity of a mint '83 and what it will probably cost you if you can find one, this reissue is not a bad alternative or compromise. The wider stripe was obviously intentional and who knows, some people may even prefer it once a few more of these are out there. More later after I actually play it.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
songsj Thanks for the update!! I am sure it is top quality piece. And I am equally sure it is stunning!

psigh4

Songsj, keep us posted and congrats on the new guitar!

You got to love the irony ...... the new one could be considered a historic reissue ..... :lol .... even though it is only back to 1983 and you can post about it in the historic forum.

Discussions about the original 1983 Spotlight Special are only allowed in this forum.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Oh here is the link to the Japanese site I mentioned earlier:

IKEBE

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
Songsj, keep us posted and congrats on the new guitar!

You got to love the irony ...... the new one could be considered a historic reissue ..... :lol .... even though it is only back to 1983 and you can post about it in the historic forum.

Discussions about the original 1983 Spotlight Special are only allowed in this forum.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Oh here is the link to the Japanese site I mentioned earlier:

IKEBE

Great point!!! AT least the Japanese site shows what it REALLY looks like, unlike the Gibson site, I wonder why the prototype is more correct, but the production one are less? The prototype R9s of 1993 were more correct than the production models too (correct inlay shape for one) which goes to show many of the Gibson inaccuracies are not alway ignorance, sometimes they are just plain devious and malicious about it!!