• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No screwholes pickguard..

Skydog1

I see this is still getting kicked around.
Not long after the "beginning of the end" of this thread I emailed lily about purchasing advertising. Good luck. I never heard a thing back. Oh well.........turns out there are other places to go...:salude

Again, thanks to all for the encouragement who gave it

Brilliant idea
Kudos to you for thinking of it
other people started asking you to make them one
some of the "rules" here get pretty anal
and I'm sure I'll get my hand slapped by a moderator
most likely TW if my radar is on
It seems you are not allowed to have an opinion or an idea around here
they would probably scold Les Paul if he came on here with an idea for something new.
Also if you emailed the powers that be here and they did not respond Shame on Them
not you

sharq attaq

All arguments aside (about the spam)...I don't know how the "venture" ever went, but I do want to follow up about the product.

I bought one of these thinking it was a great idea. I decided to remove it from my early Classic after about a year. Underneath the pickguard, I found a cracked pickup ring that could only have been caused by the type of pressure the pickguard caused.

If this product is still available, I don't recommend it for that reason.

Bobby_Lee

Hello everyone. And yup I do still have this endeavor. I have sold over 650 of my pickguards and they are on Les Pauls in 23 countries. And, of course, I have them on every Les Paul I own (3) This is the first time I've heard anyone have a problem with the pickup ring cracking. If anyone does crack their pickup ring because of my pickguard I would certainly replace your pickup rings. I've tried to damage my pickguards/pickup rings (My studio has this job.)
sharq attaq shoot me an email and I'll replace your set of pickup rings for ya.
Bobby

LBR7

That is genious! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the head room to mount one of those on my pup rings without touching the strings. Did you install thinner rings to allow room?

G

guitarfish

I had one of these screwless PG's for a while on a Standard. It fit perfectly. Eventually I went with the stock PG, not because there was anything wrong with the screwless, but because I didn't care about screwholes, and I just wanted the original/stock PG on there.

The screwless PG is a nice option however, and I can't say anything bad about it. The materials & workmanship are first rate. I can't imagine how it would crack a pickup ring, but I guess anything can happen.

TommyTouch

It looks cool, however, when picking, I use the edge of the bridge pick-up as a brace for the pinky and sometimes the ring finger of my picking hand. This pickguard will have different feel. I might like it.

sharq attaq

This is the first time I've heard anyone have a problem with the pickup ring cracking.
sharq attaq shoot me an email and I'll replace your set of pickup rings for ya.
Bobby

Thanks Bobby. That's good business, right there. Especially after a couple of years have gone by. I wouldn't have known it was cracked unless I removed the guard, I reckon.

I will email you.

I can't imagine how it would crack a pickup ring, but I guess anything can happen.

guitarfish,
I guess maybe the hole for the adjustment screw didn't quite line up properly with the screw head...or wasn't quite big enough for it. I don't know. All I know is it wasn't cracked when I put it on, and it was when I took it off.
I have to think it's a good design if I'm the only one who ever had this happen.
My concerns were that the pressure (without the metal support bracket) might pop a corner screw if one was weak or flawed. And the worst case would've been that it would break flush with the wood. But that didn't happen.

Here's some shots of where it cracked.

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

Edward

Hey there Bobby!
So glad to see that not only are you still here on LPF, but that you are still doing your pg thing! Kudos, man!!!
:salude

FWIW to anyone contemplating this, my "Bobby Lee PG" (you really gotta come up with a good name for this, bro ;) ) has been on my Standard now for around 3 years. Zero issues, zero failures, still 100% perfect. And Bobby is the best! I developed a small crack in the pg itself, maybe around 1/8" long, around the area of the screwhole. So Bobby sent me one as a backup ...heck I was willing to pay for it since it could very well have been my fault! Well that was around two years ago. After lots of playing, even playing out, the crack never grew, is still the same, and that pg is still on the guitar as solid as a rock and the backup Bobby gave me is still in its box! Need I say more.
:jim

Edward

Lenny Warren

Sorry to bring up an old post, but are you still making these Bobby Lee? I sent a message on your website but haven't heard back...

Cheers...

sitedrifter

Sorry to bring up an old post, but are you still making these Bobby Lee? I sent a message on your website but haven't heard back...

Cheers...

He is but he is very hard to get a hold of. I ordered a clear last month and it is wonderful.

kerryboy

If its spam, then its the moderators role to intervene. I find it more annoying when others feel they need to butt in, quote the rules and start policing the threads as through they are the 'unofficial' moderators'.

Its a great idea, but if the mods aren't happy the they will do what they need to do. Leave it to them.

jtees4

Great idea. It always bothered me that they put screws in some beautiful topped guitars, in fact the last two Les Pauls I had both had the guards with them, but never mounted for just that reason.