• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1st impressions of a Les Paul guitar.

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I remember seeing this show on Saturday morning TV as a kid (the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show) and the actual shape of the guitar impressed me to the point of calling around to all of the local music stores when they opened to try and describe it to the person unlucky enough to have answered the phone that morning. LOL I had no idea what it was, what it was called, or the company name that made it, just that I liked it. after all of the players who came later and the great music and tones they created, both live and on record that cemented this iconic instrument in my psyche, this was the starting point for me.
Hudson_Bros_Razzle_Dazzle_Show_1974_zpsc2cce439.jpg
HB_zps7daadf82.jpg

J T

Some were inspired by Bloomfield, some by Page, some by Clapton, some by Beck, the Hudson Brothers? Hey why not? Cool!

So did you get your Les Paul? Which one?

ch willie

I loved that show. I thought the songs were cool at the time. It was a show on which people played guitars and basses, and I was so obsessed with music that I watched it faithfully.

smitty_p

This guy was my first impression of a Les Paul. This is Glenn Kaiser of the Resurrection Band, a Christian hard-rock band of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, and the early 2000's. I first saw them in the early 80's. They were insanely loud, complete with pyrotechnics. Glenn, and the lead guitarist, Stu Heiss, both wielded Les Pauls into Marshall stacks. It was my first live exposure to that glorious marriage of Les Pauls into cranked Marshalls.

In this pic, he's got a white Studio (I think), but I saw him with a Black Beauty.

Last edited:

garywright

Kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I remember seeing this show on Saturday morning TV as a kid (the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show) and the actual shape of the guitar impressed me to the point of calling around to all of the local music stores when they opened
Hudson_Bros_Razzle_Dazzle_Show_1974_zpsc2cce439.jpg
HB_zps7daadf82.jpg

nothing to be embarrassed about ...I remember watching that but was a bigger fan of Electra Woman :jim

jabsalt

This guy was my first impression of a Les Paul. This is Glenn Kaiser of the Resurrection Band, a Christian hard-rock band of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, and the early 2000's. I first saw them in the early 80's. They were insanely loud, complete with pyrotechnics. Glenn, and the lead guitarist, Stu Heiss, both wielded Les Pauls into Marshall stacks. It was my first live exposure to that glorious marriage of Les Pauls into cranked Marshalls.

In this pic, he's got a white Studio (I think), but I saw him with a Black Beauty.

+1 on the coolness of REZ, incredible guitar on those albums

Bob Womack

More importantly, what is that thing in the right-hand guy's hands?

Bob

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Some were inspired by Bloomfield, some by Page, some by Clapton, some by Beck, the Hudson Brothers? Hey why not? Cool!

So did you get your Les Paul? Which one?

Yes, but much later, when I was 16.
withmarkspringstube21977.jpg
withmarkspringstube11977.jpg

sonar

Seems like every other TV guy back then looked like Doug Henning.

I'm trying to project (or believe) that I remember the show. I think I remember the bird-puppet guy, but the brain is associating it/him with Dinah Shore or Mike Douglas?

Still a fun story.

AlvisX

I used to watch the Hudson Bros to check out their guitars too. I didnt know what a Les Paul was really . I kinda knew what a S and T were at that point.

I had seen plenty of pics of JP by then , but I think it was when my brother brought home the Rolling Stone Illustrated History Of Rock N Roll...the big Orange 1975 version ......
There was a big pic of JP & his Sunburst , a smiley pic of Guitar Slim with "one of those guitars" like i'd seen in a pic with Sister Rosetta Tharpe....At some point I learned it was a Les Paul ....named after that guy I'd seen Jammin with Chet Atkins on TV ....my dad didn't like our music much , but he liked Les Paul ....all f a sudden we had some common ground with this guitar thing ....:)

Hammertone

Speaking of Kevin Bacon, one of the troupe on the Hudson Brothers show was Ted Zeigler.
Some of us remember him fondly as …. Johnny Jellybean, including another LPF forumite.
It's a small world after all.

GreatWhiteNorth

My sister used to buy magazines such as Tiger Beat.... at one point, Peter Frampton was all the rage, and most pics of him featured his famous black LP Custom. I didn't know what it was, but thought it was a cool looking guitar!

MS 57

This is why I love the Les Paul : I can make EVERYONE look cool :dude:

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
This is responsible for me getting that Black Standard in 1977. saw these pics on the back of Jeff Beck's Wired album and wrote off to Gibson in 1976 to ask if they would make a Standard in black. they politely refused, and then a little less than a year later, I was in Ray Shipp's Music Warehouse and he's showing me two guitars he had just brought back from the N.A.M.M. show. the first being a Les Paul Custom with all chrome hardware. then he opened the second case and there it was... I asked him to hold it for me for one day & ran home & begged, pleaded and made the promise to my Mother that I would stay with the country band I was playing with at the time to pay for it if she would co-sign a loan for me to get it. she did, and I then promptly quit the country band to play in a rock band (sorry Mom... I love you!!!). wish I still had that one...
Wired_zpsabfa9846.jpg

DonRowe

This is responsible for me getting that Black Standard in 1977. saw these pics on the back of Jeff Beck's Wired album and wrote off to Gibson in 1976 to ask if they would make a Standard in black. they politely refused, and then a little less than a year later, I was in Ray Shipp's Music Warehouse and he's showing me two guitars he had just brought back from the N.A.M.M. show. the first being a Les Paul Custom with all chrome hardware. then he opened the second case and there it was... I asked him to hold it for me for one day & ran home & begged, pleaded and made the promise to my Mother that I would stay with the country band I was playing with at the time to pay for it if she would co-sign a loan for me to get it. she did, and I then promptly quit the country band to play in a rock band (sorry Mom... I love you!!!). wish I still had that one...
Wired_zpsabfa9846.jpg
Cool story :)