• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

(Silly) question about the gen. 1 Gibson protector case / chainsaw case.

V!N

Hello lads, :eek:la

This is probably a rather silly question, but I'd feel even more silly if I didn't ask and threw money away on the wrong case.

I't about the first generation of these cases with the plastic latches and the red lining. I was wondering if there's were different types of cases for different guitars ? One type for flat and skinny guitars such as Juniors, Specials, SGs and the The Paul, and another type for Les Pauls with their with lovely carved tops.

Or is there just one type ?

thank you for your help, :salude

Vin

blueguitar

Just one type.

I hear you - but what is this:

cmlo2ez01agqg8txo.jpg

cmlo4hqriwk27dg24.jpg

???

Peter

FretsAlot

Follow-on question... I have the same case as the one pictured on the right, in the photo. It came with my '76 Custom I bought in '83/'84 and the headstock end hinge was and still is seperated. The little bar that goes between the hinge teeth is long gone. The case has been this way for the 30 years I've had it. I'm just gentle with it, and all is good. Anybody ever have to have one of their hinges repaired? If yes... How or where?

Thanks in advance,

Fretsalot/Scott

Jim W

Follow-on question... I have the same case as the one pictured on the right, in the photo. It came with my '76 Custom I bought in '83/'84 and the headstock end hinge was and still is seperated. The little bar that goes between the hinge teeth is long gone. The case has been this way for the 30 years I've had it. I'm just gentle with it, and all is good. Anybody ever have to have one of their hinges repaired? If yes... How or where?

Thanks in advance,

Fretsalot/Scott

I believe Dr Vintage might be able to help you:

http://www.doctorvintage.com/drv1_contact.html

V!N

Agreed. I have seen SGs in them, but the case was the same.
Thanks, Tom. It's your continued praise for these cases that got me interested, but then this bloke on eBay sold one with a confusing description:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390774327010

"I checked this one and a Les Paul can be stuffed in there and the lid forced but I would NOT recommend it for a LP. The headstock on a Les Paul rests on the back of the case without complete support under the neck while a SG rests comfortablly inside."

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks, Tom. It's your continued praise for these cases that got me interested, but then this bloke on eBay sold one with a confusing description:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390774327010

"I checked this one and a Les Paul can be stuffed in there and the lid forced but I would NOT recommend it for a LP. The headstock on a Les Paul rests on the back of the case without complete support under the neck while a SG rests comfortablly inside."

These cases were made for 14 degree neck angle pitch. A small piece of cloth [polish rag] under the neck at the upper contact point raises the headstock enough to keep it off the bottom of the case.
And, a thinner body [like an LP Junior] will fit better if something is put under the body, so the whole guitar lays more flat.

V!N

Lovely couple there, Dano. :dude:

If any of you gentlemen has a spare one or know of one that's for sale somewhere, please drop me a line. :)

Stewie

I have the Gen 2 as pictured above, but it has black interior. It has the large Gibson Plate and metal hinges. I have my 1968 SG Special in it. I tried to fit my Les Paul Gold Top in it about 5 minutes ago and I could not close the lid. The Les Paul fits into the bottom half, but when you try to close it there is about a 1 inch gap that can be forced lightly to about 1/2 inch. I would say an LP does not fit in that case. I have only ever used it for an SG and I bought it brand new from a dealer for that purpose. So I can't say if there are specific cases for the LPs and SGs. It looks as if the Gen 1 was universal, but I don't down about further generations. Just a heads up. One more thing. I just noticed that mine does not have a lid on the accessory compartment, it is just an open cavity. There must have been more types made.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Lovely couple there, Dano. :dude:

If any of you gentlemen has a spare one or know of one that's for sale somewhere, please drop me a line. :)

Shipping costs from the US might make it too expensive.
Try contacting our friend in Koeln :)

garywright

It looks as if the Gen 1 was universal, but I don't down about further generations. Just a heads up. One more thing. I just noticed that mine does not have a lid on the accessory compartment, it is just an open cavity. There must have been more types made.

I agree Stew

sickboy79

I've got two myself. One that my 80 LP Custom came in (brown lining) and another that my Gretsch Malcolm Young Sig came in, bought used (not original case obviously!) - blue lining. Great cases, IMO.

V!N

Shipping costs from the US might make it too expensive.
Try contacting our friend in Koeln :)

The thing is, I have some bits of wood that need to be shipped from the US and I'd like it to be well protected. :)

Stewie

If you plan on shipping a guitar in that case I would be wary of the latches.
They are not very big and latch onto the plastic. The cases are fairly bulky, and inside the cardboard packaging, they would be very thick. You might want to look at other options.
It seems as if these cases were widely used but there is not a lot of official information on them. Or none that I can find. Yet they are fairly popular.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
If you plan on shipping a guitar in that case I would be wary of the latches.
They are not very big and latch onto the plastic. The cases are fairly bulky, and inside the cardboard packaging, they would be very thick. You might want to look at other options.
It seems as if these cases were widely used but there is not a lot of official information on them. Or none that I can find. Yet they are fairly popular.

I completely disagree on this whole post. The latches aren't small, and are made of the same plastic they latch on to. The cases are barely bigger than a standard Les Paul case and are not bulky at all. I have shipped many LPs in these, and even keep one or more around only for shipping vintage LPs, where the original case is not good enough for shipping. I have never had a single problem from shipping a Les Paul in them, or fitting them in a box [the same size box Gibson uses for shipping a new Les Paul works perfectly with these].
I would always choose a Gen1 over a Gen2.
As for info, there are many threads here on the LPF that discuss them in depth.
Have you done a search here? :hmm