• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Will Gibson Les Pauls have historical significance?

Xpensive Wino

jimmy-page-colour91.jpg

hoss

Compared to Stradivari violins? We will know in 300 years. I say they won't.

Ryan Givhan

they already have historical significance. im not sure i completely understand the question

Y

yeti

As far as electric guitars/ guitars in general/ stringed instruments/ musical instruments in general goes I think the answer is undoubtedly yes. It is a unique and iconic model and ranks among the top electric guitars (Strats, Teles and 335's being the other ones).
Does a Les Paul guitar belong into a time-capsule launched into space for aliens to find when all the humans are gone?
Now there's a question worth discussing.:salude

Y

yeti

Aliens? :laugh2: :rofl :laugh2: :rofl :laugh2: :rofl

Rich, you may not believe this but a disproportionally high percentage of guitar players appears to believe in extraterrestrial life. I once chatted with a now deceased former guitarist of a famous group on the phone and UFO's was ALL he wanted to talk about.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Rich, you may not believe this but a disproportionally high percentage of guitar players appears to believe in extraterrestrial life. I once chatted with a now deceased former guitarist of a famous group on the phone and UFO's was ALL he wanted to talk about.

And your point is? Someone who only wants to talk about aliens sounds mentally ill to me. No disrespect to the deceased intended.

Y

yeti

And your point is? Someone who only wants to talk about aliens sounds mentally ill to me. No disrespect to the deceased intended.

My point in response to the OP was that, while I'm convinced that Les Pauls are highly significant musical instruments I'm not sure they'd make the cut when it comes to selecting the most representative items of human cultural achievement on a time capsule sent to outer space.
Translation: Significant? yes, but not THAT significant.

My point in response to your post?
Aliens? :laugh2: :rofl :laugh2: :rofl :laugh2: :rofl

None, sorry. Just thought it was a funny coincidence that everyone I've ever met who believed in UFO's/ aliens played guitar.
However, they do sent these capsules into space, just in case, don't they? And even if they don't ,
it seemed like a quick way to answer the OP question.
copy of Magna Carta? Check, copy of Bill of rights?, check ....Gibson Les Paul? how did that get on the list? Ah, it's Greeny, okay then...
:eek:la

Last edited:

Aloha_Mark

The fact that there is a large body of music which still appeals to many people, the existence of many guitar forums throughout the internet, and markets for trading musical instruments for more than their original cost means that yes, they have economic significance. Where the money goes, historical significance follows. People like to study what is rare, or collectible. Collecting guitars and stamps/coins, let us say, is not that far down from collecting art. At least in an egalitarian society, which values that which is created or designed by man. The item must last, though, as a great omelet has no value 5 minutes after it is made.

Pat Boyack

Compared to Stradivari violins? We will know in 300 years. I say they won't.

That was probably the point of this thread. I say yes. I'm sure there were a bunch of folks who said Mozart was a "fad", "flash in the pan", etc.

Just as Bach was no big presence in his day, first year theory students study him intensely and dissect his compositions. I bet in 200 years music students will do the same with the birth of RnR and the Les Paul's impact in the late 60's onward. I have no doubt they will.......unless the planet gets hit with an astroid or AI takes over. :)

Oh yeah? Insert "old guitars" instead of "aliens" and there are plenty of people who would say the same thing. To each his own. :hank