• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'69 Custom, '70 goldtop, '71 stripped...

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
The '70 I've had forever, bought new, the '71 I picked up a month or so ago, and '69 Custom fell into my lap a couple weeks ago. I've had over 70 historics since '95 and maybe a handful would hang with these for what I like to hear. Really digging them!!

3%204%20LP.jpg

3%205%20LP.jpg

3%202%20LP.jpg

jrgtr42

I'm kinda digging the stripped with the P-90s...
not that I wouldn't say no to either of the others...
Nice scores, all of them!

Progrocker111

Cool collection. :dude: These early Norlins are great guitars, very underrated here. How is their tone in comparison?

Mark Kane

The gold top has been "my guitar" for over 40 years and has watched many challengers come and go including 3 '50's gold tops. It sounds like all those old records. I've not owned another guitar that I thought sounded as good as it in all those years until.... this Custom. This Custom is a freak. It has what I'm pretty sure are the original frets. Still has nibs. Tiny, flat and crazy low but for some reason I have no trouble playing this guitar at all. That ebony board offers absolutely no resistance when bending. I've not played a guitar and experienced this before. Freaky!
The custom has the one piece body with deep tenon route and a 3 piece neck with transitional tenon. Original 6852 pots and original pickups. One is an early patent number and the other has one T-top coil and one earlier coil. These pickups are great sounding, lacking nothing to me. Ive not played another custom ever that sounded like this, it really sounds like a '50's standard.
The stripped guitar is a cannon. Big, fat round neck and a pair of smokin' Throbak P-90's. this guitar is the heaviest of all three but is the easiest playing LP I've ever played. It was refretted, new nut, callaham bridge, etc. before I got it. I don't know who odd the work but the person was very good. Bending is effortless, intonation all over the neck is crazy good. The pickups are really punchy and fat. I would change nothing. I love the look too.

Big Al

Come on! They are Norlins, the couldn't possibly play or sound any good. Didn't you get the memo? Just wait a bit and the "Anything les than vintage spec" police will post and illuminate us with their wisdom and save us from savoring the poisoned fruit of the (Not old growth), Norlin tree.

Looks nice, Mark! I have a couple of long term Norlin sweeties I'd put up against any era, too.

Bob Womack

A lovely trio! My old '74 small script Standard makes a lovely noise through my 5E3 Deluxe and Traynor YRM-1 - long sustain and loads of character!

lptop.jpg

Bob

Big Al

Bob, I had a 74 Tobbacky Burst like that! It was just a great guitar and it meant so much too me. Man that pic brings back such good memories!!!:frank:

Bob Womack

Bob, I had a 74 Tobbacky Burst like that! It was just a great guitar and it meant so much too me. Man that pic brings back such good memories!!!:frank:
Yeah, that guitar has been with me through thick and thin. I've owned it since 1977 and there are a lot of miles and smiles on it. An Aussie friend named it "Pauly." During financial emergencies with the family my wife always refused to allow me to sell it, and I'm glad. Great guitar, great gal.

lpincasetouched.jpg

Bob

Mark Kane

I got my fishing scale working again this weekend(batteries are a wonderful thing) and weighed these babies. The custom and the goldtop are both just under 9 and three quarter Lbs. The stripped P-90 guitar is a little over 10 and a half!!! :bug

Stoj

Nice trio Mark, I especially like the '69 Custom :salude

marantz1300

That's a great little collection.
I have a 69 Custom,had 71 and 72 Deluxe's.
Wish I could have kept them all.