• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'Mapleflame' Mod for Customs + Brass Posts = Success

TedB

We all know the 'mapleflame' mod makes a difference, but the only thing that held me back from doing my R0 was the fact that the mod uses stainless bridge posts, whereas vintage LPs are nickel plated brass. I'm not a fan of the sound of stainless frets or strings, so that kept me from jumping in. Obviously, this doesn't fit the bill for instruments with gold plated hardware regardless.

While looking in Home Depot, I found those same 6/32 studs are available in plain brass, 2" length. Suspecting that original Custom instruments originally used either brass or gold plated brass posts, I decided to give it a go. I trimmed the posts to 1.5", cleared the holes to 1" depth (originally 1/2"), and screwed them in. The slight difference in color between the brass posts and gold hardware is hidden and indiscernable when installed.

Well, it made a difference. For starters, it's eliminated any visible sign of post bending. Sonically, string definition is noticeably improved, especially when plugged in. This is evident at all amp settings. The interesting thing is it lends an improvement akin to what one typically associates with a pickup upgrade. The sound hasn't really changed, but the way it's projected is better ... almost like output and harmonics have been turned up a notch. Neck pickup settings are also better. I guess those short posts just don't have enough thread-wood contact to prevent losing some string energy through the coupling.

Interesting ...

illinimax

We all know the 'mapleflame' mod makes a difference, but the only thing that held me back from doing my R0 was the fact that the mod uses stainless bridge posts, whereas vintage LPs are nickel plated brass. I'm not a fan of the sound of stainless frets or strings, so that kept me from jumping in. Obviously, this doesn't fit the bill for instruments with gold plated hardware regardless.

While looking in Home Depot, I found those same 6/32 studs are available in plain brass, 2" length. Suspecting that original Custom instruments originally used either brass or gold plated brass posts, I decided to give it a go. I trimmed the posts to 1.5", cleared the holes to 1" depth (originally 1/2"), and screwed them in. The slight difference in color between the brass posts and gold hardware is hidden and indiscernable when installed.

Well, it made a difference. For starters, it's eliminated any visible sign of post bending. Sonically, string definition is noticeably improved, especially when plugged in. This is evident at all amp settings. The interesting thing is it lends an improvement akin to what one typically associates with a pickup upgrade. The sound hasn't really changed, but the way it's projected is better ... almost like output and harmonics have been turned up a notch. Neck pickup settings are also better. I guess those short posts just don't have enough thread-wood contact to prevent losing some string energy through the coupling.

Interesting ...

Did the same thing and worked like a charm :applaude

latestarter

Cool to hear this. I have some brass studs on order so I can remove the current stainless steel studs. They sound harsh and metallic in the Deweyburst.

Trans-Am

...what string gauges do you use? Is there any thruth to post bending if 10's or higher gauges strings are used... ( no sarcasm intended. )

Btw? I use mostly 9's...except for 10's from time to time w/o any noticeable post bending.

Peace!!

roadhog96

Same reason here why I haven't done the mod yet on my custom. I thought about using Brass but it will tarnish and turn a dark brown over time. I think Brass will offer the best tone over Stainless. The main reason the post bend is Gibson sets the neck angle within a certain spec range. Some guitars have the neck angle set with more pitch. So with the neck relief set pretty close to straight, the bridge has to be raised higher to stop string buzz. This puts to much leverage on the small post and they bend. Using heavier gauge strings and doing string bends increases the leverage on the post. The guitars that have less of a neck angle can have a straighter neck with a low bridge height and the post do not bend. Check out the necks on a bunch of LP guitars and you will see what I'm talking about. This is why some bridges have to be higher and some are lower.

Last edited:

Triplet

I tried brass on my '77 Custom. I left the pilot holes a bit too tight and snapped the brass post at the base. OMG. What a pain to extract it. I ended up having to use a larger plug (converting Nashville to abr) than planned and not matching the finish as well in the end. I did use stainless in the end.

Bottom line: Brass is MUCH softer - be careful

tdarian

Risk factors aside, it does sound like extending the brass posts an extra half inch into the wood made a difference that was also an improvement for the 1st and 2nd posters.