• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figure?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I was talking to the owner on Saturday and he asked what term is used to describe the type of "flame" in his 60 Burst. Obviously not a plain top, but not stripes and not "flamey" as we usually use this description.

IMG_9542D.jpg

IMG_9515AB.jpg

The best I could come up with was to say, it has "action".
When it is not plain but there is something there, you will see "movement" in the figure as the angle changes. The common 3-D effect of figured maple.

Whatever it is called, it is certainly not plain and it is very beautiful! :jim

:salude

fakejake

Interesting how light the fretboard is. Reminds me more of what I see on many late 60ies Gibsons...
Also, is there something off on the right stoptail stud? Looks really high up.
Beautiful guitar still! :salude

El Gringo

Very nice Tom .Could the bass side look a little like birdseye maple ? The treble side I think I would call it lightly figured maple .

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Very nice Tom .Could the bass side look a little like birdseye maple ? The treble side I think I would call it lightly figured maple .

I don't see any birds eyes anywhere on the top.
I have higher resolution photos [that I took in January, 2016]. Unfortunately, they are too much data for my photo hosting site.
One of them can be seen in Burst Believers III on page 164. :)

mingus

Looks like a top with mild figuring to me, Tom. :salude

Cody

When there's action, but the description would fall outside of the different categories of flame, I just call it a "figured burst".

Nice one!

:salude

cjp54

I was thinking the same thing as Charlie for the bass side. Mottled. Maybe even lightly quilted.
Light figure on the treble side.