• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe B in VG

rays44

Absolutely great read. Curious about Joe's comment on his '60 burst with the shorter neck tenion. I never knew that. Is that true of all 60 bursts.
BTW Joe, you constantly prove yourself to be a really nice down to earth guy (as well as an ok guitarist in my book). Just sayin'. :salude

sunburst1

Read it , was absolutely one of the better VG articles, IMO in a long time.:dude:

Loved the stories and photos.

The two matching Marshall stacks were truly awesome to see. As well as the Blond maple neck Stratocaster with matching tweed amp. :hank

Killer gear and JB is a true addict/owner off the stuff we all dream of having. :dude:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Absolutely great read. Curious about Joe's comment on his '60 burst with the shorter neck tenion. I never knew that. Is that true of all 60 bursts.
BTW Joe, you constantly prove yourself to be a really nice down to earth guy (as well as an ok guitarist in my book). Just sayin'. :salude

I think he is talking about later era 60 Bursts.
My 60 is 0-7448.

normal_Dscn2850.jpg

Not Batman .... it's a cat. :ganz

JR-Special

The pictures in that article are awesome. It's collections like this that keep me reading that magazine. Joe mentions a few of the good folks here too.

I enjoyed what Joe had to say. He talked about his move from Strats to Les Pauls. I always wondered why he did that (other than LP's are great guitars!). We all search for that sound we hear in our heads, seems Joe found it with a Lester more than with a Strat. Fair enough!

I also found his love of brown era Fenders put a smile on my face. I'd love to see a picture all three of his white tolex Twins.

Joe, if you see this... what about silverface era amps? There is no mention of them in the article. I would find it hard to believe you don't have any. Care to add any info on those in your collection?

MWR

Nice amps!

How come digital VG subscribers don't have access to the JB issue yet? Hmmm?

RAB

One pet peeve is how VG sometimes (OK, frequently) gets their facts wrong on featured vintage guitars...case in point, the caption for the dot inlay 335 featured in the JB article identifies it as a '59. The short pickguard and metal-topped knobs say otherwise and I believe I read somewhere Joe's is a '61? The other thing is when VG will provide quite bland descriptions of instruments such as "he plays a '59 Les Paul"...that doesn't tell us what we want or need to know, I.E. the model of said '59 Les Paul...one would expect more from a mag that professes vintage guitar expertise...nuff said!

JR-Special

I added this in the amplifier section a few weeks ago after Joe acquired the amps:

Stunning! And a very nice picture Mike. Thank you.

I love the brownface era stuff. Great amps and many of them still can be had for a reasonable price.

Three blonde twins. Hmmmm... That would make a great song title! Don't tell Ted Nugent, he'd use that one in a heartbeat.

jedson01

How come digital VG subscribers don't have access to the JB issue yet? Hmmm?

I can't find it for sell yet either. I made a special trip to Barnes & Noble just to get this issue and alas, they're still selling the previous issue.

slimdave

On VG's FB it says that Joe B has 'acquired' the black burst. Is that info reliable?

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Thanks Cogs. That was a very frustrating experience but all good now.

A tip for all LPF members - DON"T change your registered email address in the user CP - you'll get 'locked out' of the forum.

hoss

Thanks Cogs. That was a very frustrating experience but all good now.

A tip for all LPF members - DON"T change your registered email address in the user CP - you'll get 'locked out' of the forum.
Great, you made it back, Rich. What helped in your case?

I was able to change it back to another and luckily it worked.

This email problem is REALLY FOOKIN SERIOUS, LPF ADMINS!!!

It is the no. 1 reason why the forum is dying (the trolls may be no. 2):
No new users getting registered and regular users getting locked out.

RAB

One pet peeve is how VG sometimes (OK, frequently) gets their facts wrong on featured vintage guitars...case in point, the caption for the dot inlay 335 featured in the JB article identifies it as a '59. The short pickguard and metal-topped knobs say otherwise and I believe I read somewhere Joe's is a '61? The other thing is when VG will provide quite bland descriptions of instruments such as "he plays a '59 Les Paul"...that doesn't tell us what we want or need to know, I.E. the model of said '59 Les Paul...one would expect more from a mag that professes vintage guitar expertise...nuff said!

No comments? :dang This doesn't bother anyone else? If their comments get anymore inaccurate or bland it'll be "he plays a Gibson" or "he plays an electric guitar".

Pat Boyack

No comments? :dang This doesn't bother anyone else? If their comments get anymore inaccurate or bland it'll be "he plays a Gibson" or "he plays an electric guitar".

I cancelled my subscription last year because the mag seemed to be going the way of Guitar World. Just my opinion....

K

Kim R

RAB,

I haven't noticed factual errors as much as grammar, syntax, editorial goofs, printing screw-ups, etc. Obviously, you did notice the ones you pointed out above.

The quality of journalism, both written and broadcast, is generally in the toilet these days. I think that a lot of printed material is getting the "outsourced" treatment when it comes to proofing and editing. And, the broadcast stuff (think: CNN) reflects a prioritization of image and political alignment over fact and communications accuracy. Case in point with both: Inanimate objects are often the subject in the storyline, such as "the car drove off the bridge," "the truck ran the red light," "the airplane made an unexpected turn."

There isn't much getting "better" these days but you don't want to think about that too long.... :##