• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 deluxe goldtop value?

frenchphil

hi guys!
i know nothing about vintage guitars so i'm calling all experts here

some guy in my neigbourhood is selling a 1969 les paul deluxe goldtop which he bought some time around 1970 or 71

what would it be worth today?

i have not seen the guitar
asking price is 4700 dollars

frazettafan

I reckon that sounds pretty reasonable if it's all-original and in good nick. They can be fantastic guitars.

frenchphil

i don't have pics,
the guitar is not advertised on the web, i just saw and ad at the local music school
i talked to the guy on the phone, sounds like a guy in his 50's or 60's even
as far as condition goes, i don't know
suppose it is in bad shape and all original, what would it be worth according to you?

what kind of serial number does it have? i mean how many digits in what sequence?

Mitchell

Well,, there are several 68-70 things going on and theres no good waay to help without the guitar being in your hands.
There is a boat load of info from 68-70 LP owners here that may help you and several fellas here that have contributed to that info that may chime in.
Your knowing about what type of pickups are in it, mini hums or soap bar P-90's could help a little for starters.
Good Luck.

j45

Made during a transition period. Combintations of features (body and neck construction) vary quite a bit in 1969 and have a large bearing on value.

toxpert

The most sought after version in that year is a single-piece neck with the small headstock and one piece body (no layered 'pancake').

Next would be the version with a three-piece neck, large headstock, one piece body

Then came the three-piece neck, large headstock, 'pancake' body made of multiple layers of woods.

Try this website from one of our forum brothers...:
http://latesixtieslespauls.com/common.asp

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
You should repost this thread [or ask a moderator to move it] in the Sunburst Pub area of this Forum. That is the correct area for discussing Les Pauls from that era and you stand a better chance of getting more people to read and respond, who have great knowledge in the subject. :salude

frenchphil

thank you guys for the info,
i'll keep searching, but i should really see the guitar in person,
though i can't afford it so far

but you never know,

i'll check the pancake body, and large headstock

tom, you suggest i move my post, do you think a 69 deluxe is not vintage?

i thought it was, well at least to my mind, but as i said i know nothing about vintage guitars

i'll try to move the post then

i'm glad 1969 is not "vintage"....i was born that year! lol

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
tom, you suggest i move my post, do you think a 69 deluxe is not vintage?

i thought it was, well at least to my mind, but as i said i know nothing about vintage guitars

i'll try to move the post then

i'm glad 1969 is not "vintage"....i was born that year! lol

It is not about whether your guitar is "vintage" or not.
When the Vintage area was made it was decided to be exclusively for the 50's style Les Pauls [which went through 1960, with a few rare 1961 examples].

The description for this area makes that pretty clear:
"Discussion area for all vintage Les Paul guitars from 1952 to 1960. (Goldtops, Bursts, Customs , Juniors, and Specials) "

So, many of the guys who have deep interest in the late 1960's Les Pauls hang out and discuss this in the Sunburst Pub.
It only makes sense to post where the most informed people will see it. :)

frenchphil

well tom.... you are right i should have read better

from my point of view, there are 2 or more distinc vintage periods
the one from 1952 to 1960 when they stopped the les paul production,
and the other one starting in 68 up untill.....who knows

what do you think tom?

votre avis m'interesse

shred

what do you think tom?

votre avis m'interesse

The problem is that 1968 LP's and later are technically reissues, since they are not from the original run of 1952-1960 LP's. The vintage section is only for the original LP's.... On this forum the term 'Vintage LP' is a euphemism for 'Original '52-'60 LP' :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

what do you think tom?

votre avis m'interesse

To me, a 1968 Les Paul is a vintage guitar.
But the LPF made the rules for this section, and they are quite simple. It was never intended to be a debate over what is and what is not vintage.
Just a definition for this area. And the other areas have definitions also, which we follow.
It is no big deal. I mentioned this to point you to a place where you might find more answers to your question. :)

frenchphil

no arguing here tom,
just making things clear
i'm not so familiar with the rules of the forum

i'm not going to debate about the forum with you since you rule here, i watched your videos and i respect your knowledge of the burst and other lp

so we agree a 69 deluxe is to be considered vintage

i'll have a look at the guitar soon and see in what shape it is
it's the same age as me, so it'd be nice to buy a les paul as old as me!

hope it sounds good

so take it easy tom,

since rules are made for breaking, let me suggest this for the sections of the forum:

let's change the name of the vintage section to the" burst section" covering the 58/60 period,
and thus, change the sunburst pub to paul's lounge
and make a "vintage" section for all other vintage period?

actually when does vintage stops? a big debate i dont know

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, many of the guys who have deep interest in the late 1960's Les Pauls hang out and discuss this in the Sunburst Pub.
It only makes sense to post where the most informed people will see it. :)

It is no big deal. I mentioned this to point you to a place where you might find more answers to your question. :)

no arguing here tom,
just making things clear
i'm not so familiar with the rules of the forum

i'm not going to debate about the forum with you since you rule here, i watched your videos and i respect your knowledge of the burst and other lp

so we agree a 69 deluxe is to be considered vintage

i'll have a look at the guitar soon and see in what shape it is
it's the same age as me, so it'd be nice to buy a les paul as old as me!

hope it sounds good

so take it easy tom,

since rules are made for breaking, let me suggest this for the sections of the forum:

let's change the name of the vintage section to the" burst section" covering the 58/60 period,
and thus, change the sunburst pub to paul's lounge
and make a "vintage" section for all other vintage period?

actually when does vintage stops? a big debate i dont know

You miss my point Phil.
There's no problem with "breaking rules".
I was merely trying to help you find the answers and info you are seeking.
Sorry you took it as something different. I tried to be clear.
:2zone

treeofpain

Phil,

Just have this thread moved to the sunburst section, and you will get a lot more helpful feedback. You will still need to know more about the guitar to make an informed purchase.

BURST~TONE

The problem is that 1968 LP's and later are technically reissues, since they are not from the original run of 1952-1960 LP's. The vintage section is only for the original LP's.... On this forum the term 'Vintage LP' is a euphemism for 'Original '52-'60 LP' :)

Sorry to derail on my first post, but, are you really Yngwie Malmsteen?

If so, i recently have become friends, with Kenny Baker. He had a really good go on my number one, this past summer (playn out in WPB) Not surprising how great his chops are considering who he works for. :dude:

Hope to meet you soon,

Jeff

CutieJones

Go see it, get good pics for a definitive answer. The proof of age lies in the build features.