• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cool Photo of a '59 Darkburst

marshall1987

This a scanned Polaroid photo of Geoff Richardson, a British guitarist with the D.C area band Crank (Johnny Castle on bass). He's slingin' what I believe to be a '59 Darkburst Les Paul. The photo was taken at a D.C. area local high school concert in 1971 where they opened for the Ides of March ("Vehicle" fame). The first time I saw him with this guitar was in 1969. He usually plugged straight in to a Marshall 4-holer 100 watt half stack. Goes without saying his tone was killer. Crank had some original tunes but they also played a lot of covers by artists such as Bluesbreakers, Eric Clapton, Cream, The Who, Blodwyn Pig, etc.

Crankguitar2.jpg

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
Looks way too dark to be a '50s Lester. Refin? Early 70's guitar?

marshall1987

Looks way too dark to be a '50s Lester. Refin? Early 70's guitar?

Mike, I first saw Geoff play this guitar in 1969, so it couldn't have been a 70's Les Paul. I think the stage lighting and old Polaroid photo exaggerate the Darkburst effect somewhat. I recall in person it appeared as a regular looking Darkburst or Tobacco Sunburst.

Last edited:

marshall1987

it musta REALLY exaggerated it..

Folks, it's a scanned 36 year-old Polaroid photo. Recall these old cameras would take the shot and produce a paper photo in about 60 seconds. Trust me, in person it looked like a regular Darkburst Les Paul. My buddies and I used to follow Crank around all over the place. I saw that guitar from 6 feet away alot. Also Crank was the real deal, I doubt they would even consider using second tier gear. Geoff grew up in England not far away from the "big boys" of that era. When they appeared at the "Berlin Airlift" concert at RFK stadium in 1971, Mark Farner of GFR was blown away by Geoff, and suggested they go up to New York to record. I have learned that they opened for Allman Bros., The Byrds, and Jimmy Hendrix at stadium and arena shows. They eventually put out two albums. Got 'em both.

Last edited:

DANELECTRO

The pattern of the burst is very wide on the lower bout and follows the body profile rather than being sprayed in a teardrop shape. This is not typical of an original Burst finish. Since the photo was taken in 1969, I'd say its unlikely that he routed and refinished a brand new '68 or '69 Les Paul. My guess is that it's most likely a 50's guitar that was refinished, possibly a burst, more likely a goldtop. You mentioned he was a fan of Clapton and the Bluesbreakers. He may have refinshed it to look more like EC's burst.

marshall1987

The pattern of the burst is very wide on the lower bout and follows the body profile rather than being sprayed in a teardrop shape. This is not typical of an original Burst finish. Since the photo was taken in 1969, I'd say its unlikely that he routed and refinished a brand new '68 or '69 Les Paul. My guess is that it's most likely a 50's guitar that was refinished, possibly a burst, more likely a goldtop. You mentioned he was a fan of Clapton and the Bluesbreakers. He may have refinshed it to look more like EC's burst.

It didn't look like the Polaroid photo in person. Let's say that again....It didn't look like the photo in person. Old 36 year old Polaroid photos bleed badly.

mistersnappy

+1 the paint spray near the toggle switch doesn't conform to what I've seen of originals and in BTOB...:hmm :salude

Similar look to the Sunburst Kunio Kishida owns that used to be Dickey Betts' (although not as dark) and that was a refin.

maybe a unique example?

CharlieS

Cool photo. I think people forget how cheesy Polaroids could be for quality. It will be interesting to find out what the guitar is...someone must know the story. Maybe a refin?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It didn't look like the Polaroid photo in person. Let's say that again....It didn't look like the photo in person. Old 36 year old Polaroid photos bleed badly.

Without further proof, it definitely looks like a refin. :ganz

What did you expect with that pic? :hmm

marshall1987

Cool photo. I think people forget how cheesy Polaroids could be for quality. It will be interesting to find out what the guitar is...someone must know the story. Maybe a refin?

Here's another photo of Geoff Richardson and Crank. I think he is playing the same Les Paul as above. Notice the thin creme binding in the cut-away. Got to be 50's. Sorry it's B&W.

cranklive.jpg

Last edited:

marshall1987

Without further proof, it definitely looks like a refin. :ganz

What did you expect with that pic? :hmm

Oh it doesn't make any difference to me. I was lucky enough to see these guys when I was a young sprout. That vintage Les Paul/Marshall sound is burned in my memory forever. Been chasing it ever since.

Rev.WillieVK

"That's not a Sunburst - that's a RIMBURST!" :rofl

I agree with Dano, a re-fin'd '50s something. :salude

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Oh it doesn't make any difference to me. I was lucky enough to see these guys when I was a young sprout. That vintage Les Paul/Marshall sound is burned in my memory forever. Been chasing it ever since.

The finish doesn't make the tone.

Just kkep that memory and :2zone

:salude

Bluestar

marshall1987 - I'm pretty sure I saw/heard Crank play at Ft. Hunt in Alexandria circa '71. I really didn't know then if the guitarist was playing a Les Paul (vintage or otherwise), but man they sounded great, especially that drummer (with that real high high hat). 'Course, I could have it wrong - but, anyway, thanks for posting that pic.

marshall1987

marshall1987 - I'm pretty sure I saw/heard Crank play at Ft. Hunt in Alexandria circa '71. I really didn't know then if the guitarist was playing a Les Paul (vintage or otherwise), but man they sounded great, especially that drummer (with that real high high hat). 'Course, I could have it wrong - but, anyway, thanks for posting that pic.

Bingo, you got it. Fort Hunt High, April 1971. What class where you in? I was '73.

Bluestar

Bingo, you got it. Fort Hunt High, April 1971. What class where you in? I was '73.

'75, but that was my only year there (freshman) - but I still remember that concert, and the guitarist with his Les Paul (and the drummer!), even though I didn't start playing until the next year. Man, Crank was kick ass, and his guitar tones were awesome!

Back on topic: I'm no help to you at all as to whether the Les Paul was vintage or not - sorry, I just didn't know enough about them at that time to draw any conclusion.