• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Craig Chaquico's quest to get his stolen '59 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul guitar back

StudioFan

I can understand doing the right thing . Hats off to those that do. A very valuable guitar indeed.
Perhaps this is why a certain east coast collector is so secretive.
It just seems like everyone thinks there is only one option here . There are a few options.
He said house or guitar .
The whole point of all of this was to KEEP the guitar so why stop now ?
You can live just about anywhere.. home loans for most are easy to come by .
Mind you I don't know the full details of Cody's life .

So is the guitar up for sale ?

Or do you wanna say F the lawyers and CC and keep the axe !
There is another option where you keep the guitar.
Best of luck to you !

Blues Bird

I can understand doing the right thing . Hats off to those that do. A very valuable guitar indeed.
It just seems like everyone thinks there is only one option here . There are a few options.

Best of luck to you !

Dude, how old are you? Sixteen?

jalevinemd

Best of luck to you !

Wow! Not sure about those priorities either.

Honey I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we have to downsize to a smaller house and the kids need to change schools. The good news is that I got to keep the 'Burst.

Last edited:

StudioFan

It has obviously always been ALL about having the guitar. 20 pages about this now.

So I talk about one way to keep it or ways to keep everything and I am immature and have MY priorities wrong . WTH ?

Did the family or the house come first when you spent a fortune on an old LP ?

jalevinemd

It has obviously always been ALL about having the guitar. 20 pages about this now.

So I talk about one way to keep it or ways to keep everything and I am immature and have MY priorities wrong . WTH ?

Did the family or the house come first when you spent a fortune on an old LP ?

Having the money available to purchase an expensive vintage guitar is one thing. Having to invest quite possibly close to that same amount to fight an arduous legal battle to keep it is something else.

shred

Personally, having to deal with all the legal BS would likely ruin the fun of burst ownership... At least for me... YMMV...

Hey, as far as I know Cody still has his custom Ibanez :yah

image_zpsjwoyjuyw.jpeg

Wally

Personally, having to deal with all the legal BS would likely ruin the fun of burst ownership... At least for me... YMMV...

Hey, as far as I know Cody still has his custom Ibanez :yah

image_zpsjwoyjuyw.jpeg

The old hammer and sickle.....Workers and laborers of the world unite!!!!!!!!! Oh....and guitarists, too, I suppose?!?!

Minibucker

Wanted to add that even though this is years afterwards, Cody I feel truly bad that you had to endure the complications that you did with this and it ended up with you having to sell. But I hope that you at least got to enjoy it fully while it was in your possession. If it means anything, I felt that you were in the right all things considered, and that you were very generous in the ultimate arrangement that you came to with Craig.

As TW mentioned very early in this thread, theft hurts many people even beyond the immediates involved.

I don't know if anything can replace what you've had to give up, but if someday they do a Collectors Choice version of this guitar, I hope that you're the first person to receive one, complimentarily....if you'd even have it. If you'd rather just put all this behind and leave it there, I fully understand. Kudos to you for making your side of the story known, and the class that you showed throughout.

Cody

Wanted to add that even though this is years afterwards, Cody I feel truly bad that you had to endure the complications that you did with this and it ended up with you having to sell. But I hope that you at least got to enjoy it fully while it was in your possession. If it means anything, I felt that you were in the right all things considered, and that you were very generous in the ultimate arrangement that you came to with Craig.

As TW mentioned very early in this thread, theft hurts many people even beyond the immediates involved.

I don't know if anything can replace what you've had to give up, but if someday they do a Collectors Choice version of this guitar, I hope that you're the first person to receive one, complimentarily....if you'd even have it. If you'd rather just put all this behind and leave it there, I fully understand. Kudos to you for making your side of the story known, and the class that you showed throughout.
Thank you.

I won’t lie - it’s still painful, and I still miss the guitar… but I did fully love playing it while I owned it. It was a life goal to own a flamey, faded burst, and I got to do so for more than a decade. I feel very lucky in that respect.

The whole ordeal took a toll on my wife, however, and that’s the part that I’m still sore about. She didn’t deserve any of that.

I don’t see a Collectors Choice thing happening… but since we’re fantasizing, would I accept a free guitar, especially if it was a dead ringer? In a heartbeat!

Once again, thank you for your kind words.

Minibucker

Thank you.

I won’t lie - it’s still painful, and I still miss the guitar… but I did fully love playing it while I owned it. It was a life goal to own a flamey, faded burst, and I got to do so for more than a decade. I feel very lucky in that respect.

The whole ordeal took a toll on my wife, however, and that’s the part that I’m still sore about. She didn’t deserve any of that.

I don’t see a Collectors Choice thing happening… but since we’re fantasizing, would I accept a free guitar, especially if it was a dead ringer? In a heartbeat!

Once again, thank you for your kind words.
I'm sorry to dig it up again, I saw that it was for sale again and didn't quite check the time elapsed in this thread, thinking it was more current when I first posted but couldn't delete my post.

Y'know in years past I would read through threads of this nature kind of as a form of entertainment, as we often see an interesting mix of egos going at it....along with just an overall fascination and interest as a guitar enthusiast. But you being here and sharing brought a real personal aspect to it and it was nice to see an overall show of support and best wishes, even though there were varying opinions in favor. The old adage of 'nobody wins except the lawyers' is oh so true. Wouldn't it be nice if it was just about playing guitar?

But anyway, just hope things remain positive.

Last edited:

au_rick

So, is the legal ownership of this guitar now resolved or will any future owner have to be looking over their shoulder ?

Cody

So, is the legal ownership of this guitar now resolved or will any future owner have to be looking over their shoulder ?
It’s completely resolved, as far as the conflict documented in this thread is concerned.

In the end, I held a clear title to the guitar, as agreed to and signed off on by all parties in the presence of a federal judge, in early 2017.

It’s over.

bern1

I was at the Lorelei festival that day.

It was a shitty day.

From start to finish.