• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I find this interesting.

Mitchell

Slightly off topic; Thats a FUNKY looking SG your sportin in Vintage Guitar Mag Elliot... :peace2

shred

While I agree that people have their preferences, I don't know if it's an age thing as much as the double edged nature of the internet. On the one hand the internet is great, you can research your new guitar purchase down to the most minute detail. On the other hand, getting caught up in those same endless details can prevent you from making a decision or worse, compromise your NGD enjoyment (if it turns out your guitar has the 'wrong' specs/lesser top etc).

Once upon a time, guitar buying was about going to your local store, picking out something cool and living happily ever after. Now you can compare your new guitar against every other instrument on the net. That process can lead to second guessing your purchase and endless hand wringing over necks, a couple ounces of weight, wood, wrong tuners etc, instead of just playing the thing...

shred

A coupla interesting things worth noting 'bout Page, though:
1. His axe was slung low, yes, but I wouldn't say it was as low as it appears; That skinny strap and his penchant fer pants that went up over his navel, definately contribute to that appearance. :ganz
2. His arms and fingers, body-proportionally, were/are longer than the average person's. If'n ya look at the photos, his pickin' arm's still at a comfy, 45-ish degree angle, an' his fingers definately grab the low E without reach, nor strain. :ganz

I'd say he was/is just being himself, nothing more. :2cool

... an' as far as "sloppy", well, one man's trash is another man's treasure, i'n it? :ganz .. :salude :jim

Cool.

Actually I love Zeppelin. Probably my second favorite band after The Beatles... It doesn't stop Jimmy from being a fumble fingers at times though :biggrin:

In truth, originally I was just joking around, but I also consider JP to be a key proto-shredder...

If you listen to the Heartbreaker solo, he's not trying to impress you with his feel, he's trying to impress you with his speed. It's the first unaccompanied shred/stun solo documented on album. Eruption was just a more contemporary version of the same idea.

Eddie Van Halen on Page: "I've always said Eric Clapton was my main influence, but Jimmy Page was actually more the way I am, in a reckless-abandon kind of way."

And... JP is another guy who prefers a skinny neck on his LP :)

progger

Completely agree about the internet causing people to sweat details we never dreamed of when I started in the 70's. I read GP religiously, and even they didn't offer up the kind of minutia we fret over today. My '66 335 was just a 10 year old guitar with a lot of finish crazing and my new 345 was wonderful, despite the fact that Gibson was then owned by the later widely maligned Norlin at the time. (I had no idea who owned Gibson.)

For a long time, my greatest concern was getting enough gain out of an amp without peeling the paint off the walls in a club or resorting to a germanium fuzz pedal. Much more about finding the basic sound you were after than sweating finite details.

I've got 30+ guitars, 98% of them Gibsons with a pretty wide variance in neck profiles. Within a minute or two of playing, I adjust to the neck in my hand and really don't give it any thought. Have to admit, the only type of neck I can't get comfortable on is baseball-bat thick to the extreme, so I've avoided those.