• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Long Scale Les Paul

59Cherrytop

The short scale Jr's I've played, along with similar scale ES120T's and ES140's all play in tune. I don't know what renderit means by "wildly" out of tune.

Gibson L5's, Super 400's, 350's, Tal Farlows, Barney Kessels ect.. are all 25 1/2" scale. Robb referred to that long scale as a "Professional" scale.
You lose some of the "sweetness" but gain more tighter piano like bass as well as more stable tuning. The neck would join the body at a slightly different place if the bridge is kept in the same position.

I think it is a valid idea and could prove quite useful. I'd like to see a whole range of Long Scale Les Pauls. Studio to CS. P90 and Humbucker.

Yes! It's time has finally come... and with the CS Class all the way!

Wish they had made this an option in the fifties for taller players with longer fingers just as Schwinn made different size bikes. All good things come in time!

As some of you may remember, five years ago this critical length issue was discussed... and naturally some satisfied players shunned the idea while others were curious who are used to the 25.5" scale's playability and expanded tonality.

The design drawing I initially did to show Mike McGuire years ago basically moved the bridge back a 1/2" and extended the neck 1/4". Besides the Standard's twin Humbuckings, my personal preference (to be electronically versatile) would include three P-90s and a close-by master volume with a six-way British switch (ala Page's Custom). This would accommodate a lot of us Strat/ES-5 guys, and still leave enough picking room.

This is truly a great start up for a fabulous line-up. I'm so thankful Edwin and the Gibson boys have done such an excellent effort with traditional late fifties appointments to create a New Class of highly playable "professional scale" Les Paul Standards. My hat is off to them. I look forward to ordering a cherry one. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Smolder

I'm kind of surprised the long scales are still around. It looks like both Wildwood and Sweetwater till have some 2014's.

I'd love to see a long scale SG Standard.