• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD! 2000 Standard

frpax

Here's the pics!

4766B725-4017-44B0-9C49-7953E753B804_zpstrnldope.jpg

3E311992-C98D-4068-A8F4-806B6F8CE13C_zpsfskx6gqg.jpg

E9A32716-2BC1-474B-957A-D06E8BD06BBC_zps6errnuhs.jpg

03075A61-4409-4CDB-9683-DC4860E29B74_zpsyhlqk1vq.jpg

She's a beauty, that's for sure, and VERY light! Lightest LP I've ever owned.

I traded a PRS Santana SE for her. When I got her, she didn't have any pickups or pots, so I put in a set of Duncan Antiquities and CTS pots and some .022uf Black Beauty caps. Man oh man, she sounds good!!

Big Al

That doesn't look like I remember 2000 Standards. It has the shorter body and flattened upper bout like some mid 80's. The knob/tailpiece relationship looks like it for sure.

It has the cherryburst and flame we all love. Pretty. Any shots of the control cavity?

woody-89

I really hate to do this and risk bursting your bubble, but if there's a chance that you can get hold of the guy you traded it with, run right back there. I'm almost certain this is a Chinese knockoff unfortunately.

They have got much more realistic recently, but as Big Al said, the tailpiece location looks off, as is the body shape in general, the Gibson inlay is wider than any Gibson of that era that I've ever seen, the finish looks like polyurethane, and the nut is too big (and identical used on many of the Chinese guitars that I've seen) :dang

Sorry to do this man, but if there's still a chance of getting in touch with the seller, do it!!

jrfisher

If the binding on the neck covers the ends of the frets, then it's probably a genuine Gibson. The Chinese replicas have frets that lay on top of the binding.

jbzoso2002

That body shape is WAY OFF by the top strap button.

I thought it was weird right away.

Take it back if you can.

Jimmy

Kris Ford

There's definitely sum ting wong with this guitar...a shot of the SN# would tell all..

And this sucks..the OP was obviously stoked..and now probably bummed that it's not a real Les Paul..

frpax

And this sucks..the OP was obviously stoked..and now probably bummed that it's not a real Les Paul..

This sums it up. :dang :##

But I'm ever an optimist! I got the Santana SE for nothin', so I'm really out nothin'. AND this is still a much nicer guitar than that Santana would ever be. :yah

Big Al

That doesn't look like a Chibson too me. It has the correct body shape that was used in the early 80's. The nut looks correct, as does most of the headstock.
I don't remember when Gibson returned to the open B&O logo inlay, but it wasn't a feature of mid 80's. Anyone know when the body shape returned to normal, and if that overlaps with the older pantagragh logo?

That guitar is not a 2000 Les Paul Standard, that's all I can confidently say, with info provided. However why? Why would sombody trade a Les Paul that could easily fetch 2K for an el cheapo SE???

The story is odd.

DanD

That guitar is not a 2000 Les Paul Standard, that's all I can confidently say, with info provided.
The story is odd.

Definitely not. The inlays look like the material Gibson used in the 80s and the inlay 'points' are too sharp to be from the rounded era 90s and up LP Standards.

If it's a Chibson they are doing much better work in China. That being said the new MIC Tokai LP copies also look very good.

As suggested throw up a couple close ups of the control cavity and back side of the headstock. Those will be more telling of who actually made the guitar. :peace2

frpax

I had a local luthier check it out.

Definitely a fake.

But I still like my new guitar a lot more than the SE!

The Chinese have definitely upped their game, though!
This one had fret nubs & the little slice of "maple" is peeking out from under the binding in the horn. Also no scarf joint as well as no glued on wings. Gibson logo is inlaid and not a decal.

woody-89

I'm really sorry man - It's shit getting bad news about a new toy! But still, if she sounds good and plays well, no reason why you shouldn't enjoy her just as much as you have been doing!:salude

jerns

I had a local luthier check it out.

Definitely a fake.

But I still like my new guitar a lot more than the SE!

The Chinese have definitely upped their game, though!
This one had fret nubs & the little slice of "maple" is peeking out from under the binding in the horn. Also no scarf joint as well as no glued on wings. Gibson logo is inlaid and not a decal.

Wow it is scary how the chinese are fixing their typical misses on the chibsons. No more ebay buys for me!

Big Al

Wow it is scary how the chinese are fixing their typical misses on the chibsons. No more ebay buys for me!

Educate yourself, first. The resources available here and in books ect.. make it rather easy to learn what to look for. If at all possible get your hands on a real one. Support your local authorised Gibson dealer.

If a deal seems too good to be true... .. well, you know how that can turn out.

I haven't seen a Chinese made Gibson that could fool anyone who has a decent understanding of these guitars. Don't ever base an inspection on binding nibs, or any easily replaced part. Build quality and quirks known to Gibson are your best bet. I only saw an odd body shape similar to early/mid 80's and not on previous or later models. The headstock looks right for a 2000, but wouldn't be on that body.

I did not see anything that made me certain it was a Chinese copy, only that it wasn't a 2000, appears odd and needs more clear forensic work.

The pics are not clear enough. I would like to see clear, in focus shots of the bridge, pickup routs and control cavity. Shots of the back of body and neck. Under the truss rod cover. These would be very helpful.

Beware internet sales and use an escrow system for payment. If it is a hands on deal and you aren't sure bring a pal who knows his stuff.

I'm glad you are not unhappy with your trade. Much better than getting hosed.
Remember, you know what it is so don't try and pass it off on some one else.

shred

Educate yourself, first. The resources available here and in books ect.. make it rather easy to learn what to look for. If at all possible get your hands on a real one. Support your local authorised Gibson dealer.

If a deal seems too good to be true... .. well, you know how that can turn out.

I haven't seen a Chinese made Gibson that could fool anyone who has a decent understanding of these guitars. Don't ever base an inspection on binding nibs, or any easily replaced part. Build quality and quirks known to Gibson are your best bet. I only saw an odd body shape similar to early/mid 80's and not on previous or later models. The headstock looks right for a 2000, but wouldn't be on that body.

I did not see anything that made me certain it was a Chinese copy, only that it wasn't a 2000, appears odd and needs more clear forensic work.

The pics are not clear enough. I would like to see clear, in focus shots of the bridge, pickup routs and control cavity. Shots of the back of body and neck. Under the truss rod cover. These would be very helpful.

Beware internet sales and use an escrow system for payment. If it is a hands on deal and you aren't sure bring a pal who knows his stuff.

I'm glad you are not unhappy with your trade. Much better than getting hosed.
Remember, you know what it is so don't try and pass it off on some one else.

+1

What an unfortunate outcome.... At this point the safest route is through an authorized dealer, unless you have some experience with used Gibsons... The fakes are getting better all the time...

Last edited: