• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How many of you gig with non original cases?

karl1

Should I gig with just say Gator cases in place of the original Gibson issued cases? I am noticing they are getting beat! I was thinking it may also not say- steal me!

jimmi

Epiphone cases are very similar ti Gibsons, can be had for cheap and don't scream steal me.

Cottage

I think Gator cases are great. I have one for my LP. I think that Canadian case co. that Gibson uses sells them at a reasonable cost.

Lenny

I just use the same black Gibson case and let the others rest, especially the Liftons.

mistersnappy

I kept the chainsaw case that came with a Norlin-era guitar I got waaay back in the '80s and used it for my Conversion. This was long before I ever heard of how desireable they are-I guess I sort of could tell they were built like a brick shithouse anyway. Plus, always nice to "hide" a '50s Les Paul in certain environments.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I never take my Les Pauls to a gig in their original cases.
Protector Gen1's for them. :)

DonRowe

Epi cases for me and I have a Reunion Blues "gig bag" that I also use :)

jimmi

I never take my Les Pauls to a gig in their original cases.
Protector Gen1's for them. :)

I think people are on to these also. Cheaper than messing up an original 50s case but people look to see what you pull out of a protector case.

Luckily the new relic historics look close enough most people are surprised and even doubtful if you tell them it is the real thing. Especially if it is a clean vintage guitar.

toxpert

I picked up a Protector Gen1 case for gigging.

The total cost was way less than $100 and probably a bit low $$ due to a broken plastic latch. OEM plastic 'living' latches are still available...the fix takes less than 10 minutes plus the cost of the new plastic latch.

Dr Vintage is a great resource and tries to keep these latches in stock.

Reverend David

I have waaay too many guitars to go buy generic or other cases to tote them around in. :##

wernerg

Dr Vintage is a great resource and tries to keep these latches in stock.

I had to replace two out of three latches and the Dr Vintage replacements are great!

Now I am leaving vintage Liftons and Gator cases at home since they're all falling apart... Going Protector 1 and 2 all the way!

brandtkronholm

I have taken my 1959 345 in it's original case to gigs and never had a problem. No one has identified the case (nor the guitar) and no one has ever asked me about it.

Gig with the case that will actually protect your guitar. Gator cases provide no protection against havy objects falling or the usual bumping around. Gig bags are just as bad - especially with a Gibson neck (but OK for Fenders...). If you have a Protector Case, then that's the way to go!

Nobody is interested in stealing your guitar because of the case - unless the gig is at a place where there are likely to be many vintage guitar nuts, 99% of whom are known within the local vintage guitar nut community already. They won't be stealing your guitar.

Lastly, no one will steal your guitar because you will be either keeping your eye on it the whole time or you will simply have it with you the whole time. (I have taken my guitar (in its case) to the men's room! - But those have been exceptional gigs...)

If they want to steal your guitar they will have to forcibly take it from your hands.

jimmi

)

If they want to steal your guitar they will have to forcibly take it from your hands.

It is this last statement I want to avoid. It is why I don't even want them to think it is a historic. Better they think it is a cheap epiphone and simply not worth the effort for the value of the guitar.

All depends on the club and area the club is in etc. in the club is not where I worry the most, it is packing up afterward.

DANELECTRO

Two Lesters follow me to every gig, one in a Gen1 Protector and the other in an Epiphone case. I don't think the original cases for any of my guitars have left the house since they entered it.

PLarson

I have a "Rock Bag" soft case for my guitar. Then they wont know what I have in there...

mistersnappy

Old Liftons/Stones were built pretty well: look at all the cats we love, like Eric, Gary, Duane, etc. They used the original cases for years touring hard. I think they will last a while longer!

Re; folks stealing them based on case. I've had a surprising number of people over the years ask me what "year" my conversion is. I lie and say its some kind of '70s Les Paul. I sure as hell am not going to tell a stranger what it is.