• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The New 2013 Les Paul Specs

bluesforstevie

Ok...I don't even know what to call it anymore? It's no longer called an historic, no longer called custom shop...so, what is it officially called?

What is the nut material?

Has the plastic changed? The color?

Hot Hide Glue on just the neck tenon and mortise?

What is a Custom Bucker?

What is the fingerboard wood? Why did they go to a two piece board last year? How did they find a supply of wood this year? (don't answer if it's going to be a drawn out argument)

There is no longer a truss rod condom?

Neck shape...any difference this year?

Body carve....better this year?

Anything else? I know the color of the neck binding is different...anything else?

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
I'm going to The House of Guitars on Saturday to check them out!

poon99

I'm going to The House of Guitars on Saturday to check them out!
I just goy back from there and they just got two more R9s and I left with one of them....

P1252607-vi.jpg

poon99

Ok...I don't even know what to call it anymore? It's no longer called an historic, no longer called custom shop...so, what is it officially called?

What is the nut material? Nylon

Has the plastic changed? The color? Yes it is whiter with a yellowish cast for the binding and whiter on the rest.

Hot Hide Glue on just the neck tenon and mortise? Yes.HOT HIDE GLUE

What is a Custom Bucker? Its a custom wound PAF with A3 magnets.

What is the fingerboard wood? Why did they go to a two piece board last year? How did they find a supply of wood this year? (don't answer if it's going to be a drawn out argument) one piece Rosewood. and so far all have been very dark.

There is no longer a truss rod condom? Condom is gone

Neck shape...any difference this year? Yes, less shoulder.

Body carve....better this year? Yes.

Anything else? I know the color of the neck binding is different...anything else? aniline dye on sides and back,Single line Kluson Tuners, 4 degree neck angle,darker knobs,headstock shape like vintage.

Last edited:

bluesforstevie

Has the plastic changed? The color? Yes it is whiter with a yellowish cast for the binding and whiter on the rest.

Hot Hide Glue on just the neck tenon and mortise? Yes.

What is the fingerboard wood? Why did they go to a two piece board last year? How did they find a supply of wood this year? (don't answer if it's going to be a drawn out argument) one piece Rosewood. and so far all have been very dark.

Anything else? I know the color of the neck binding is different...anything else? aniline dye on sides and back,Single line Klusion Tuners, 4 degree neck angle,darker knobs,headstock shape like vintage.

Thank you...

Boy, I tell you..in the pics I've seen...the nut is so opaque and white...I thought maybe they went back to...what was it? ....corian?

I think they're dying the boards because in their description they even say the fingerboard color is more like the old ones or something like that...how did they find the rosewood? I thought that's why they had to use a two piece system last year...because there wasn't enough madagascar and the Indian was now on the forbidden list....or whatever.

fakejake

Shit this sounds great! All this talk about the 2013 specs left me with M A J O R GAS for a R4. I'm dying to see the Goldtop top and back colors. Now if they'd only use long steel studs for the tailpieces....

randall

I just goy back from there and they just got two more R9s and I left with one of them....

P1252607-vi.jpg

Killer les paul! congrats!
What are the new custom burstbuckers like? curious to what they have done?

D'Mule

We need Danelectro to make some serious changes to the Year by Year History of the Historic timeline sticky.

Cogs, can you edit that?

zombiwoof

Hot Hide Glue on just the neck tenon and mortise? Yes.HOT HIDE GLUE

Anything else? I know the color of the neck binding is different...anything else? aniline dye on sides and back,Single line Kluson Tuners, 4 degree neck angle,darker knobs,headstock shape like vintage.

What is with Gibson using A3 mags in so many of the sig LP's (Page, Clapton, etc.) and now the reissues?. I don't think A3 was used much or at all on the originals. Is it that A3 more closely gets the sound of an aged vintage PAF pickup with (originally A5 or whatever) mags in the PU's?.

Al

DanD

What is with Gibson using A3 mags in so many of the sig LP's (Page, Clapton, etc.) and now the reissues?. I don't think A3 was used much or at all on the originals. Is it that A3 more closely gets the sound of an aged vintage PAF pickup with (originally A5 or whatever) mags in the PU's?.

Al

IDKW Gibson is using A3 mags but the gits I've tried with them seem to be a tad warmer and rounder sounding than A2 mags.

Never been a fan of A5 mags as they sound harsher and more abrupt.

While the highs are sweeter with A3 mags the lows seem a bit mushy and lacking focus.

An A3-A2-A5 (EB-GD-AE) mag combination for pole piece mag pups could be a winner. :hmm

cryptozoo

Not sure why they went to A3 for so many of their new winds -- maybe it was the buzz word when they had the meeting that quarter and that's what stuck. I don't find them to be anything special and prefer A2s as well, for the most part. But then again, Gibson has been missing the mark with their pups for several decades now, hence the huge market for boutique stuff.