• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Moog theremin

Xpensive Wino

20140619-MOOG-THEREMINI-046editAZ-660x495.jpg

The Theremini is the latest instrument from Moog Music. The new design is not only retro-beautiful, but it injects some welcome playability into the almost-100-year-old concept. The classic theremin sound is still there, but you can now dial in pitch control. On a standard theremin, moving your right hand towards the antenna would result in a clean glissando sweep, and ever-moving-upwards note. With the Theremini’s pitch control turned on, you get a nice stair-step, so the sound advances up the scale one note at a time without all those messy notes-between-notes. Which particular scale it snaps to—major, minor, dorian, mixolydian, pentatonic, “Gypsy,” “Ryukyu”—and which root note is used gets dialed in by the performer and displayed on the LCD on the front. The level of pitch control is up to you. Same with the oscillator filter control and the built-in echo effect.

It plays just like a regular theremin when you want it to.

wernerg

thanks for the useful info.

I am going to have to practice "John Henry" again...

Texas Blues

I've got a theremin but it ain't nothin' like that one. Bought it several years ago for cheapness. A single plastic black box with an antennae, a knob, and a jack to run to an amp. Run it through an AD-9 delay to a Peavey Decade for spooky space hobo sounds.

Haven't figured out exactly how to use it in a song thats worth listening to. Okay, that's just because I suck at using the damn contraption. That gal in the vid's sounds and looks like she's raising the dead and that antennae is a laser disruptor about to light all y'all m-fer's up! I think she's hot too! Problem for me also is that my dog missylou goes crazy for the 'thang when I'm doing my kung fu on it. She likes to howl along with it. ahhhhewwwwwwwww!

Daniel James

I've got a theremin but it ain't nothin' like that one. Bought it several years ago for cheapness. A single plastic black box with an antennae, a knob, and a jack to run to an amp. Run it through an AD-9 delay to a Peavey Decade for spooky space hobo sounds.

Haven't figured out exactly how to use it in a song thats worth listening to. Okay, that's just because I suck at using the damn contraption. That gal in the vid's sounds and looks like she's raising the dead and that antennae is a laser disruptor about to light all y'all m-fer's up! I think she's hot too! Problem for me also is that my dog missylou goes crazy for the 'thang when I'm doing my kung fu on it. She likes to howl along with it. ahhhhewwwwwwwww!

Was that the "Zep Theremin" available on eBay? Picked up one of those a few years ago. Definitely takes a little getting used to, but if you run it through a full-range tube amp with the right amount of delay you can get some serious Whole Lotta Love out of it!

Is there perhaps somewhere else that this thread belongs?

Texas Blues

Was that the "Zep Theremin" available on eBay? Picked up one of those a few years ago. Definitely takes a little getting used to, but if you run it through a full-range tube amp with the right amount of delay you can get some serious Whole Lotta Love out of it!

Is there perhaps somewhere else that this thread belongs?

Si senor it belongs somewhere else but I'lll whore on it a while before it gets moved.

I don't want "Whole Lotta' Love" sound or feel.

I want something else but don't know what that is.

Hardrockmapletop

Looks like a ... I say it looks like a damn Radia from tha '80's boy.
I'll buy one of them dang contraptions when Texas freezes over....
:foghorn

Daniel James

Is it possible to shave a Les Paul neck without refinishing? :hmm

Then there's this:

Thanks for the link. I had worded my above response a little vaguely. I know the neck had been refinished after the shaving, but I was under the impression that the 'burst finish was original. Does anyone have any further input on whether it was a complete refin or a neck-only refin?

Doc Sausage

I'd be afraid that no matter what I did, it would sound like the middle of Whole Lotta Love.