• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Will an Epi Riviera fit in an ES-335 case?

rumblerdave

Trying to find an era correct case for my early '65 Epiphone Riviera, and was curious if a Rivi will fit in an ES-335 case? I ask because of the big, long headstock on the Riviera... not sure it will fit. Obviously, the bodies would be the same...

Anyone know positively, yes or no?

Thanks!:spabout

garywright

what's the overall length of your Epi ? ...I'll measure the interior of my early 60s 335 case later today

fender69

I bought a brown & pink fur case with the shroud years ago for mine. It fit just barely as the tip of the headstock touched the end of the inside. I would not recommend flying the guitar or tossing it around carelessly but it fit.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Trying to find an era correct case for my early '65 Epiphone Riviera, and was curious if a Rivi will fit in an ES-335 case? I ask because of the big, long headstock on the Riviera... not sure it will fit. Obviously, the bodies would be the same...

Anyone know positively, yes or no?

Thanks!:spabout

Many times it won't fit in a vintage ES-335 case. But Gibson changed case sources so many times that some will work and some won't. Measure the length and be exact. A vintage ES-335-12 case does work, from my experience.

Finding a true mid 60s Epi hardshell case [of any shape] is difficult, and usually very expensive.

RAB

Good points Tom and an excellent suggestion re looking for a Gibson ES-335-12 case. Yes, it took me a long time to find the correct gray/blue case for my short headstock ('62) Riviera...the later, long-headstock Epi cases are more common but still hard to "source"...

rumblerdave

Thanks everyone for the advice... overall length of my Riviera (including strap button) is 42 3/4 inches....

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Good points Tom and an excellent suggestion re looking for a Gibson ES-335-12 case. Yes, it took me a long time to find the correct gray/blue case for my short headstock ('62) Riviera...the later, long-headstock Epi cases are more common but still hard to "source"...

I'm still looking for a gray/blue flattop case. :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom, if I run into one I will let you know!:salude

Appreciate it! I don't look very hard.

Oddly enough, my last one was stolen [in 1988] when the thieves took my Texan out of the case, to use the case for a Martin or Guild they grabbed from my store wall.
So, if anyone sees a gray/blue flattop case with "Shenandoahs" written on it .... :ganz

access

I ended up buying one of the new 50th anniversary sheratons, which come with a really nice silver/blue case, and it fits my 65 riviera perfectly and looks great. I've since sold the reissue, but kept the case!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I ended up buying one of the new 50th anniversary sheratons, which come with a really nice silver/blue case, and it fits my 65 riviera perfectly and looks great. I've since sold the reissue, but kept the case!

Could you please post [or email to me] some photos of that case?
How close is it to the 60s gray/blue cases? :hmm