• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1996 Jimmy Page LP Siganture wiring - picture?

GreatWhiteNorth

I am the original owner of a 1996 Jimmy Page signature Les Paul. Many years ago, I swapped out the pickups for some Duncans. Then, a few years back, I had a local Gibson authorized dealer put the original pickups back in.

However, it doesn't seem to sound the same, and I suspect they didn't wire everything correctly.

There are too many diagrams out there - could somebody with an original, unmolested version of this model post a picture of the wiring in their control cavity for me to compare against?

I know this model isn't considered correct by any means, but I like what it did just fine when it was stock.

Many thanks in advance.

GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth

Hmm. I'm realizing a picture might not be able to show all the right detail - does anyone have a schematic that is correct for this model? It is so hard to tell which one is correct with so many variations out there! I downloaded one from Gibson but it is almost unreadable.

GreatWhiteNorth

Thanks, but that's what I mean by 'so many variations'. That is a diagram with Duncan pickups, and the wire colors aren't the same as Gibson. Also, on the original Jimmy Page model, pulling up the neck tone pot puts the pickups in series AND out of phase. This one is different. I was hoping for a good one of the original mid-90s Gibson model, with the stock Gibson pickups. Otherwise how can I be sure if it's right or not?

Triburst

Getting through the color codes is easy. You can use THIS (linked) chart to decode Gibson vs. others.

This is probably the Gibson chart you've been looking at (dated 2005):
Gibson_Jimmy_Page_LP.jpg

This one is much clearer, but is not as you described -- though it is as I understand Page Wiring works.

As you pull:

Bridge volume - coil tap bridge pickup
Neck volume - coil tab neck pickup
Bridge tone - pickups Out-of-Phase with each other
Neck tone - put both pickups in series

True_Page_Mod.jpg

...which is the same functionality as the Seymour Duncan chart.

I looked through my files, and don't see one that is as you described.

GreatWhiteNorth

Here is what came on my guitar: pulling up the neck tone pot reverses whatever you've done with the bridge tone pot. I like it, because by pulling up just the neck pot I get the pickups in series, out of phase, which gives a sound I like.

I want to be certain I have the right schematic, which is the purpose of my original request.

Triburst

These layouts would be correct. That guide is showing that the phase changes depending upon if you have used the rhythm tone to go series or parallel.

You're good to go.