• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

will the burst die as a musical instrument with the baby boomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjminor

I believe the OP is not very observant, and I say that with a loving heart.

2 Items that I see that will never kill the Burst, in any generation!

1) Stradivarius violins
2) Current State of Music

Pat Boyack

Not in my house.......:salude

There's some KILLER guitar playing on disco tracks. Besides, who wouldn't want to arrange a real 16 string section for your track?

Al McKay, a founding member of Earth, Wind and Fire is one of my heros. I really don't know if we can say bands like that were disco. They were around before it.

I think people could mis-classify funk as disco and that would be a HUGE oversight for guitar players. I love Eddie Hazel and Funkadelic! :dude:

To a degree I would agree but not with Funkadelic. They were the farthest from Disco. Anybody who would say that the band was Disco has no idea about music. :peace2

Dishimyuh

Al McKay, a founding member of Earth, Wind and Fire is one of my heros. I really don't know if we can say bands like that were disco. They were around before it.

To a degree I would agree but not with Funkadelic. They were the farthest from Disco. Anybody who would say that the band was Disco has no idea about music. :peace2

Who you tellin'? I spent '74 through '78 in a high school where my pale face was in the minority. I heard an ass load of George Clintons stuff!

B

Banker

I heard an ass load of George Clintons stuff!

The Funkadelic or P-Funk stuff never really gripped me. The essential difference between funk and disco is the unrestrained use of a string section........(only semi-joking).

jimmi

I'm not at all a Strat guy but I think the Stratocaster is the quintessential electric guitar, the only truly iconic one IMO. That body shape is impossible to improve upon and it has a whammy, it's still revolutionary. I prefer Lesters, 335's and Teles but the strat wins the icon award IMO.

Point of view. I see iconic posters and pictures with both. Page, Clapton, the back cover of Wired with Beck, Pete, Ace with his, the pictures of Duane with the gold top....all very iconic, all Les Pauls. For the Strat, you have Jimi and his white Strat at Woodstock, SRV in a smoky looking room, Blackmore....a lot to go around for both.

Pat Boyack

Who you tellin'? I spent '74 through '78 in a high school where my pale face was in the minority. I heard an ass load of George Clintons stuff!

:dude: :dude:

I bet you did!! But did they can it Disco? :peace2

The Funkadelic or P-Funk stuff never really gripped me. The essential difference between funk and disco is the unrestrained use of a string section........(only semi-joking).

:laugh2:

zoso714

As to the state of rock music and it's relation to Les Pauls and popular music, I'm not sure there is a direct correlation in any of it. I can remember in the late '70s and into the '80s what my friends and I listened to and what was on the Billboard charts couldn't have been at further ends of the spectrum; 95% of what charted was not my cup of tea. I'm talking too about radio play and such. It sucked. Not that rock was 'underground', it just wasn't what the unfortunate majority of the population was tuning in on. Today you see guys like Keith Urban on the charts and he's playing vintage guitars. But these guys are somewhat of an exception. The next Zeppelin? I don't expect to see that again. That was a different time and place in music. And let's face it, most people don't know a '59 Les Paul if it slapped them in the ass either, including a surprising number of musicians. I wonder how many guitarists playing on songs in the Top 40 right now are dreaming of a '59. My guess is not many. I remember seeing Joe B when he was a kid tearing it up playing pointy guitars. Now he is older, richer, and he has chosen vintage pieces because they speak to him and inspire. Will that carry on to younger players who are thumping away right now on their uncle's p.o.s. acoustic trying to figure out an A chord? I don't know. Not at 150 grand prices. I don't think there is any way to predict the future of vintage Les Pauls. Remember too that they are getting older every year just like us unfortunately. How many road warriors will survive? Someday the 'investor' pieces may be all that is left. What then?

sikoniko

how about Sly? Larry Graham is an amazing bass player!

I believe Funk is rooted in the foundations James Brown made. Bootsy played bass for James Brown before he played with George Clinton.

Bob H.

I believe the OP is not very observant, and I say that with a loving heart.

2 Items that I see that will never kill the Burst, in any generation!

1) Stradivarius violins
2) Current State of Music

So many folks point to the Strad when discussing the old Bursts. The reference is highly questionable--the violin is an acoustic instrument whose design has hardly changed in 300+ years (few modifications in the 18th and 19th century).
Will folks still be clamoring to play electric guitars with cables plugged into a tube amp in 50-100 years? I have some real doubts. The answer to the OP's original question is not so clear.

abalonevintage

So many folks point to the Strad when discussing the old Bursts. The reference is highly questionable--the violin is an acoustic instrument whose design has hardly changed in 300+ years (few modifications in the 18th and 19th century).

All Strads have been re-necked. Right?

Minus the time differential, I would say the fascination and interest are remarkably similar.

Also, contrary to Billboard there is interesting new rock and roll being made on guitars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m5gTEVC0_E

Big Wreck

kats

Why do you keep brining up the re-neck thing? What does that have to do with anything?

abalonevintage

Why do you keep brining up the re-neck thing? What does that have to do with anything?

Illustrating that the application and usage of musical instruments is not "static."

If an instrument is desirable, there will be ways to keep it relevant.

Does that satisfy your question?

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
I think the comparison is based on the fact that Stradivari made over 1100 instruments and only 650 survived. Similar figures for bursts. 1700 or so made? How many accounted for?

bern1

And the fact that nobody to date has been able to produce anything that captures the special, complete sound of either one, in spite of a lot of effort.

kats

Illustrating that the application and usage of musical instruments is not "static."

If an instrument is desirable, there will be ways to keep it relevant.

Does that satisfy your question?

Honestly no.

And I truly don't mean to be antagonistic, I was just trying to understand - I do feel badly if that's the impression I'm leaving here.

abalonevintage

Your comment implies that I "keep bringing" up the re-neck thing.

Is a-couple-of-times in 10 years too much? :rofl

Three13

They have some common traits...

OleBull_Back_zps620f2ada.jpg

90627-08_zpscb42c556.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.