• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody Seen Guitar Center's New Custom Pro LP?

Boogie Bill

My local shop has one in the Red Tiger finish, but it is the Pelham Blue and the Dirty Lemon finishes that have caught my eye. They are Custom Shop builds, with a "wide" tenon, special switching, and a custom-wound set of pickups. No mention of aluminum tailpiece, and I guess they have a '50 neck profile. Exclusive to Guitar Center.

Anyone reviewed these yet?

Bill

Boogie Bill

What's a "wide" tenon?

That was one of the things I was wondering about, too! LOL! They say is the "wide" tenon used in the LP Customs.

Now, long and medium tenons, even short tenons--but this is the first I've heard of a "wide" tenon.

Bill

Scott L

Perhaps the tennon that is used in the 08 Standard

562262jpg.jpg

3th3r

These? I like the blue one, but another "limited" run? :rolleyes:

1_bg.jpg

"The masters at the Gibson Custom Shop have unleashed the Les Paul custom Pro, designed in collaboration with Guitar Center and available nowhere else. The Custom Pro is available in three jaw-dropping finishes, culminating in the intensely figured Red Tiger AAA top. A wider neck tenon, like those found on Les Paul Custom models, increases neck to body contact for enhanced tonal transfer and resonance. Cap it all off with GC exclusive wiring featuring coil taps, phase and a kill switch, and you’ve got a truly spectacular guitar that you won’t be able to stop playing or staring at. Look for more great Custom Pro finishes in the coming months. Each color is limited to a run of 50 pieces."

jhmp

the photo of the tennon on the 08 standard is kind of interesting.
I would have thought the tennon would be the same piece of wood as the neck. Notice the wood grain. They just kind of glue it on there. So now you get a gap in the connection, and a glue joint. Well that is better than no long/ wide tennon, but not much effort in the craft. I wonder what this model costs?

Triplet

I don't think there's a gap. There's a 1/4 inch or so cut out to match the body depth.

grimlyflick

Isn't "dirty lemon" just another name for lightburst? :hmm

It's exactly the same as my lightburst Classic.

Still looks mighty fine though. Loving the red also. :salude

D'Mule

I like these guitars a lot! But I wish they wouldn't have put the word 'Custom' in the name. Don't we have enough confusion about the Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Boogie Bill

I'm wondering how close they are to the G0 Historic. They seem to be a different build. No mention of the BB caps, aluminum tailpiece--are they solid, chambered or weight-relieved? Doesn't seem to be a lot of info available. And I'm not sure how utile the fancy wiring is--I seem to get by with 2V/2T, and no extra swtching.

Bill

zombiwoof

They also don't say what the neck profile is, I'm betting it's the slim taper, as Gibson seems to be enamored of that profile lately. I prefer more of a rounded 50's profile.

Al

zombiwoof

the photo of the tennon on the 08 standard is kind of interesting.
I would have thought the tennon would be the same piece of wood as the neck. Notice the wood grain. They just kind of glue it on there. So now you get a gap in the connection, and a glue joint. Well that is better than no long/ wide tennon, but not much effort in the craft. I wonder what this model costs?

The link with the description says $3199-3999. I don't know if that is MSRP or the GC price.

Al

mmcquain

The GC website says the Orlando store just got this one in.
If I get a chance maybe I'll slip in there and try it out.

GuitarCenter_LPCustomProAADirtyLemon_Orlando.jpg

Coachmoe

Okie Dokie,

The Pelham Blue is TO DIE FOR:wow :wow :wow

$3199. is what GC is selling them for but CASH does strange things to people.:rofl

Supposed to have a 50's profile neck.

With the exception of the electronics, maybe a Historic in sheeps clothing! :hee :hee :hee

:hmm I think I just found my next project!

Doc Sausage

I think the blue is an acquired taste. But all are worthy of a look see at GC. Like I need another excuse to go in there. Total Wine is on the left and Golf Galaxy the right in my town. The trifecta.:wah

Coachmoe

I went to GC today and played THIS one:

17cs101036alg.jpg

Here is some more spec info:

One-piece mahogany back, maple top
• One-piece mahogany ’50s profile neck with wide custom-style tenon, rosewood fingerboard with pearloid trapezoid inlays
• Two custom-wound Gibson humbuckers, exclusive GC wiring with coil taps, phase and kill switch
• Tune-O-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece

So here's the low down!

Non retaining wire ABR bridge, chrome jackplate, Grover Rotomatics and looks like old style switching nut.

Salesman said pickups were Burstbucker 2 and 3.

The coil tapping is AWESOME! :wow Both volumes and the bridge tone are tapped. You can really get some cool single coil sounds.
I have no use for the kill switch but that's just me. This is a super versatile guitar tonally.:biggrin:

The body binding is considerably narrower than on my Historics and as I held it in different angles I could see some really nice grain under the finish.

Neck profile is thinner than my R7 and R9, but thicker than the R0 I used to have. The neck is VERY comfortable!:salude
This particular guitar played great; it felt like it had .009's on it but GC could have restrung it as Gibson usually ships with.010's.

Having owned a dozen brand new USA Gibsons in the last ten years, this guitar was easily the best non Historic Gibson I've ever played. Is it worth $3199?, not to me it isn't considering the Historics I own.

HOWEVER, If I were looking at buying a high end Gibson and had never owned a Historic, I'd buy this one in a HEARTBEAT!:3zone :3zone :3zone

I guess that about covers it! :peace2

trapland

Sorry to dredge this read up again, but I have one of these coming in a few days and have some questions.

Did we learn if they are solid,one piece or relieved or what?
When did they start making them, and have they stopped?
Does anyone else like the green burst?

How exactly does the kill switch work? Pull the pot and it kills all, or only the rhythm pickup? AND, how exactly could that pot be retired to make it a "straight through" like the new standards? ( I think it's the standard anyway)

I have an 08 R0 with BB1&2 that sounds amazing. Will the 2&3 combo be similar? Or should I order a 1 now?

Thank you!

jrgtr42

I like the looks and most of the build specs, but I can live without the wiring. Not a fan of coil-tapping, phase switch or kill switchs. If I had one, I would rarely if ever use any of those.