• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1992 Pre Historic is worth????

Any idea what a 1992 Pre-Historic Les Paul is worth. I am not sure what a "pre-historic" is but it has a nice flame top. Thanks.

In 1992 I paid aprox 5k for my '92 Jimmy Wallace Pre historic in NYC- Still to this day one of my fav instruments- would never sell- played it on endless NYC soundtrack sessions- Just recently had Dave Johnson do a killer refin on it- fantastic guitar. Currently have it set up with Jim Wagner Godwood pups and neck magnet flipped for some Greenie tones- If the one you are looking at plays/tones well- seriously consider it. Just for reference I have played many newer recent Historics that do not compare to it in terms of resonance and sonics-and fretboard.
If you can get it in the $2,500 range that would be a steal imho. But to each their own- I really dig mine and have had it for over twenty years. It's a very lively guitar - with a very well defined tone- balanced, responsive, alive and loud up- and down the neck. Also worth noting mine has a very slender 60's profile neck-which was something I did not have previously- so it really does certain things that my other guitars (vint '57 single cut JR, vint '64-'65 ES335, Rossi's with wider necks do not do)- Obviously during this era Gibby was experimenting and trying to find their bearings -some of the instruments from '92 are exceptional - just like any other year that followed-none of them have been dead on replica substitutes for the "Holly Grail"- Some years get closer "physically" but those appointments do not make it necessarily a better instrument. Hope this helps- Chuck Hammer

Last edited:

Big Al

Chuck I think you had left the West Coast to do that Lou Reed gig when I bought my mid 70's Strings and Things 59 Reissue (the first by Gibson), when I went to Kalamazoo. I still have it, and it is a favorite. I'd love to know what it is worth but have no idea!

Chuck I think you had left the West Coast to do that Lou Reed gig when I bought my mid 70's Strings and Things 59 Reissue (the first by Gibson), when I went to Kalamazoo. I still have it, and it is a favorite. I'd love to know what it is worth but have no idea!

Al, I think we may have done one gig with both of our bands in Goleta- just before leaving for NYC to do the Lou Reed rehearsals/tour Nov '78. The tour kept rolling through late 1980 - So I may not have seen that guitar. But I vividly remember you graciously showing me the inner workings of the GR 500- Oddly the next GR that I saw was in Lou's NYC apartment- Luckliy for me, (thanks to you) I knew my way around it a bit. Ever grateful for that bro - Chuck

Last edited:
Dave Johnson recently completed work on this '92 Pre Historic- mentioned above (post#2)-

xDJ1_zps28d23031.jpg

XDJ2_zpsfe23bb85.jpg

Last edited: