• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best Electronics Upgrades for Historics

Django2014

I've been thinking of upgrading the electronics in my 2008 Les Paul G0. What pots and caps would you recommend? In terms of pickups I'm pretty much set on a pair of OX4's. In terms of pots and caps, I'm split between stuff from RS, Crazyparts, or Retrospec.

Any Suggestions?

reswot

I've used both RS (back when they used Luxe caps) and Retrospec. The RS superpots for the volumens have a higher resistance; they use a regular-taper, but high tolerance pot for the tone controls. They also now use a .015 tone cap for the neck pickup, which some folks like.

Retrospec uses custom-tapered pots in all positions. They also use .022 tone caps for both pickups.

Personally, I prefer the Retrospec kit, now.

Django2014

I was thinking about buying loose parts from RS for a while, I have read a lot of mixed reviews which turned me off to the whole idea for a little bit, saying that their superpot had a weird taper. How is the response of the response of the RS regular pots they use for the tone controls and the Retrospec pots, I use my knobs a lot so I'm looking for something that I'll be able to notice a difference when I change from say 5 to 5.5 on my knobs.

EdKing

Great question. I'm replacing the innyrds of both my CC models. OX4s are FINE pickups. I installed a set of WIZZ pickups in my '64 SG STD & the sound blew my mind. They're pricey. I use OX4s & Throbaks, too. The WIZZ are "haunting"....that's what Charlie says!

NOW...let's hear what y'all have to say about the pots, switches & wiring. Because that's going, too.

Django2014

Yeah I like the demo's I've heard of OX4's and for me they seem like they'd be perfect, I play Funk/Fusion/Jazz mostly, so low output pickups with the kind of clarity they have would be great, as for Pots/Caps, I'm lost...

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Great question. I'm replacing the innyrds of both my CC models. OX4s are FINE pickups. I installed a set of WIZZ pickups in my '64 SG STD & the sound blew my mind. They're pricey. I use OX4s & Throbaks, too. The WIZZ are "haunting"....that's what Charlie says!

NOW...let's hear what y'all have to say about the pots, switches & wiring. Because that's going, too.

Ed and I both are Wizz lovers!:dude:

vark45

I have Dr. Vintage "Early Spec" pots in my '03 R7 and just love the taper. Everything else, including my '63 Tele, I use Bourns pots...they have a very usable taper as well...

-Shawn

Maplehead872

My suggestion would be MSSC..Martin six string customs, they will set you up with precisely what you want. Great quality and service.

tdarian

OX-4, Wizz, Throbak, Tru-Clones....in a perfect world I'd try them all in the same guitar in 1 afternoon and know for sure!

elcidd

Lots of good choices for high-quality aftermarket pots these days. My reference point is pots are vintage Centralabs. I'm used to the taper, and I've always liked the "bump" at the end of the taper. I've always felt that if you use your volume pot for your playing style (as opposed to always leaving everything on 10), Centralabs sort of give you a built-in boost, LOL!

Another thing that I've always liked in vintage pots is the actual tension/torque that you get from a nicely broken in pot from the '50s or '60s. For me, the closest I've found are the Dr. Vintage "Early Spec" pots. The taper feels right, and the torque is also right. Too many new pots never loosen up!

Another good option is the TVT (True Vintage Taper) pots.

Last edited:

JP'59

dr vintage are as close to those old cetralabs as I have found. I think OX4 and Throbaks are a great sounding authentic pickup and I have tried them all along with real PAFs & cetralabs. Good luck with the hunt!

slater529

I've used both MSSC and Dr. Vintage. Both wiring kits are excellent, but my preference is for the Dr. Vintage Early Spec.

As others have said, the taper and torque of the Dr. Vintage pots are perfect. Also, I really like the rigid ground bus Dr. Vintage uses with the Early Spec kit. It's a little detail, but something that I really appreciated during installation. :)

rbig80

I really like the Dr. Vintage Kit. I replaced the pots and capacitors when my 07 R8 was still pretty new, and made such a difference. They are still in there. I just replaced the electronics in my 61 sg reissue and tried the bourn pots. They have a nice taper also, and they turn very easily

duaneflowers

In a word... MartinSixStringHolyGrailHarness w/Ox4 or Wizzz Puppies... :2zone

Django2014

If I just change the pots and caps, how much does it change the sound of the guitar, I like the sound, but I want more response.

Nostalgia

I buy those harness from MartinSixastring because the pots have been matched already. For the pickups, I like Wizz and Throbak's! I would love to try OX4's next time.

Last edited:

Pickdropper

Has anybody tried the Bournes no-load pots for the tone pots on their LP? At one point, my LP had the tone pots clipped, which sounded great, but I missed having tone controls. The no-load pots seem like they would give me the best of both worlds.