• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2011 R8 - The Tokyo Burst

rob livesey

Hi Chaps,

I'm seriously considering negotiating a price on this guitar. It's a 2011 R8, brought back from Tokyo by our very own Richard H. Apparently it's a special Dealer Select model and is quite unique.

I just need to consider why I should get this guitar over a 2013 / 2014 R8/9/0 when those are available in abundance, all with the latest specs and with some great tops.

I had the guitar in my hands yesterday, it really is lovely. Anyway, here are some pics.

Cheers,
Rob.

photo3_zpsf735b1b0.jpg

photo_zps28c77c1d.jpg

P1030399_zpsc955cb31.jpg

Last edited:

kingsxman

Very nice. If you like it get it. But I will say that the 2013's I've tried (I own 2 currently) DID seem to have a special "something" that the older guitars didn't. And they seemed to be very consistent. Obviously there are outliers in every year....but the 2013s were just a bit more vintage and sweeter. May be the custom buckers vs Burst buckers.

So if your unsure at all...hold out and find a 2013/14.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
This guitar was a 'Dealer Select' guitar hand picked by IKEBE in Tokyo. It's a killer guitar that I picked up while on tour in Japan last year. One of the best looking and sounding Historic guitars I've had. The back was slightly darker and the top is gorgeous. It looks as if it's faded already in just over a year!

dbone15

Very nice. If you like it get it. But I will say that the 2013's I've tried (I own 2 currently) DID seem to have a special "something" that the older guitars didn't. And they seemed to be very consistent. Obviously there are outliers in every year....but the 2013s were just a bit more vintage and sweeter. May be the custom buckers vs Burst buckers.

So if your unsure at all...hold out and find a 2013/14.

Gotta agree with the consistency of the 2013/2014's. Of all of the ones I have played in store they have all been close. In most cases it was more to picking a top than anything else and I own 4 13/14 guitars. I sold all my pre 13 models to get the newer specs.

That being said the one you pictured sure is nice.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose it would depend on the price... BUT damn... It sure is pretty... :salude

garywright

yeah, it looks fine ..fwiw, there's a 2013 on eBay now that's very similar...close to 9lbs but that would be fine with me ..if only we'd agreed on the price.

shred

Personally, I'm not particular about the year, just the guitar. The top, neck profile, price and to a lesser extent, weight, are the factors that concern me. The 2009-2011 spec guitars are as good as the 2013-2014 IMO. The hide glue neck joint and absence of a truss rod condom, are changes you can't see or (arguably) hear anyway.

The changes you can actually see, are the inlays and the aniline dye on the back. As far as the pups, the majority here seem to prefer the CBs to the BBs, but not everyone shares that point of view. Then there are the guys that always use aftermarket pups... Don't get me wrong, I love my 2013 but I don't feel it's intrinsically superior to any other historic I've owned.

Tommy Tourbus

At some point you just need to stop chasing the "new and improved" marketing and internet forum hype of the specs with each new year (because that way lies madness!), and instead choose guitars based on their own individual merits regardless of year.

2011's are great. I've got 4 Historics and they all happen to be 2011's. I didn't consider the year when I bought them, it just worked out that way. BTW - I bought one that was a 2013 and it went right back due to ridiculously shoddy QC issues.

Blackie59

I guess it will boil down to the price in the end so what's the ballpark figure for the 2011? If it's a lot lower than a 2013/2014 then get it. If not I'd keep looking.

John Stax

My '11 R7 is a killer guitar, seems to have a bit more 'weight' to the tone than my '13 R9 and the low strings just 'twang'!

Both guitars have different characters and sound great!

rob livesey

Well, I've had the conversation, it would be for sale, for the right price, but the owner really likes it and won't let it go for nothing. I get the feeling he'd rather keep it. I understand this, he's a player as well as a collector and dealer, and the guitar is a bit special.

I appreciate the input regarding this and other guitars though. One I just let go was a 2005 R8, that was a great guitar in every respect, but I'm thinking I just need a very slightly slimmer neck.

The search continues........

Watch out for an NGD thread at some point.

Cheers,
Rob.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
If you need a slimmer neck you want an R0 with a V2 neck is what you need. I'll call you tomorrow Rob. :biggrin:

tdarian

Love my 2011 R7, if the rest of the 2011s compare then those were good times.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
I hand picked that 2011 from a whole bunch of guitars. I spent a day off in Tokyo trawling around all the stores looking for a nice Les Paul. That was the guitar I liked the best. It's a good one, has a great top, great colour, one piece rosewood board. I'd have it back in a flash.

rob livesey

I hand picked that 2011 from a whole bunch of guitars. I spent a day off in Tokyo trawling around all the stores looking for a nice Les Paul. That was the guitar I liked the best. It's a good one, has a great top, great colour, one piece rosewood board. I'd have it back in a flash.

I wish there was a "Like" button. Yes, it's a great guitar.

B-rock

Depends on price. That top will look awesome after being played for 20 years. It's perfect now, I'm sure it will only get better.