• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Have you ever noticed that most

honkytone

Internet reviews on guitar gear, especially, are primarily perpetrated by some of the most ignorant, novice-type arse poles that haven't a clue. Goodness knows this site is one of the best.
Thanks

Ryan Givhan

yeah, i notice that most people dont know crap about the guitar they are playing. but then i realized that for most of the guitar playing population out there its all about the playing and not about what kind of capacitor is being used for the neck position.

they look at guitar playing a lot differently than i do and it use to bother me, but now i get it. and its probably a good thing. i doubt most of our guitar hero's were anywhere near as anal about gear and what kind of finish or plastic was on their guitar.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
...but then i realized that for most of the guitar playing population out there its all about the playing and not about what kind of capacitor is being used for the neck position.

That statement says it all.

They don't know, and they don't care. And a lot of 'em can play like nobody's business. They get their tone the old fashioned way, by turning knobs and developing their hands and ears... :peace2

johnreardon

As with any review, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. To be honest, I don't find this place any different.

I care more about how a particular guitar plays and sounds in my hands than whether it has 'period correct' specs. As Kenny says, I twiddle knobs and use my hands and ears.

Big Al

I'd agree mostly. A great number of us have been gigging, working musicians, sometimes for decades. We would view demos differently, than Ronnie Rockstar who never leaves his bedroom.

I have found many usefull video demos where the range of features and function are displayed and demonstrated. Usually after sifting through reams of some wanna be and certainly not Mr. Heavymetal Rockgawd. Super distorted, badly recorded one dimensional showcases for some "Hey, look at me" playing while never really showcasing the gear that is supposed to be demonstrated.

Worse is the good to great players who view these things like a personal concert or an audition. I love the super sensitve types that only show the clean side and never have an amp showing any muscle.

WORST are the amp demos where they play a bit of fluff and then stomp on some FX box for dirt.

Why can't they ever turn some knobs? Guitar, amp or effect, I like to here what the controls control, and how well they do it.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Why can't they ever turn some knobs? Guitar, amp or effect, I like to here what the controls control, and how well they do it.

I hear ya!

Although, I remember a Boogie MK V demo video, (it may have even been from Boogie site), where this guy demoed every channel and sub-channel switch on that thing... And that's a LOT... :rofl

It also helped that he had a Rode mic in front of it... :peace2

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, it's nice to see ya, Mr. Reardon... It's been a while... :salude

J T

There are plenty of well known players that are "gear heads". A few are actually current contributing members here AND have their own signature Gibson edition guitars. As I understand it from them, they DID have a lot of input on their signature guitars.

Big Al

There are plenty of well known players that are "gear heads". A few are actually current contributing members here AND have their own signature Gibson edition guitars. As I understand it from them, they DID have a lot of input on their signature guitars.

Not a question of design or imput. I understood it do be about the manner, execution and substance of on line gear demo's.

The good ones give a fair representation of the gears utility and purpose, but a large annoying many of them do not.

bigtomrodney

I love watching Andy on ProGuitarShop.

Sure he's trying to see me something but the guy has chops, a wide repertoire and a damn good ear and memory for picking songs and settings to match a pedal. Always worth the watch.

Big Al

I love watching Andy on ProGuitarShop.

Sure he's trying to see me something but the guy has chops, a wide repertoire and a damn good ear and memory for picking songs and settings to match a pedal. Always worth the watch.

I agree.