• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe B in VG

Y

yeti

No comments? :dang This doesn't bother anyone else? If their comments get anymore inaccurate or bland it'll be "he plays a Gibson" or "he plays an electric guitar".

Who wrote the article?

I can't comment on this specific article but when I submitted my feature for the July 2009 issue the editor made me change a ton of stuff, none of which made the story better, IMHO.
My impression was that they have a certain style of presentation that they want to have in every feature, a consistency of sorts. Part of those revision were towards a less personalized and more bland style of writing. The photo captions were also changed and made less precise. All the pics showed the same guitar but the captions were re-written so that each picture could have been a similar but different guitar. They also didn't choose the best pictures (IMO) but went with a shot that fit their criteria.

RAB

RAB,

I haven't noticed factual errors as much as grammar, syntax, editorial goofs, printing screw-ups, etc. Obviously, you did notice the ones you pointed out above.

The quality of journalism, both written and broadcast, is generally in the toilet these days. I think that a lot of printed material is getting the "outsourced" treatment when it comes to proofing and editing. And, the broadcast stuff (think: CNN) reflects a prioritization of image and political alignment over fact and communications accuracy. Case in point with both: Inanimate objects are often the subject in the storyline, such as "the car drove off the bridge," "the truck ran the red light," "the airplane made an unexpected turn."

There isn't much getting "better" these days but you don't want to think about that too long.... :##

Right on comments! It seems that a little more attention to detail could go a long way. And the VG articles about vintage guitars should be written by those with detailed knowledge. Maybe VG should retain LPF folk as consultant editors! :jim

JBLPplayer

No comments? :dang This doesn't bother anyone else? If their comments get anymore inaccurate or bland it'll be "he plays a Gibson" or "he plays an electric guitar".

The ES-335 is indeed a 61... We discussed that guitar... I'm not sure how the lines got crossed. :salude

Joe B

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

It's been a standing joke for years.
Me and a couple friends race to see who finds the first vintage guitar mistake [usually with photo captions].
:ganz

EvLectric

Me and a couple friends race to see who finds the first vintage guitar mistake [usually with photo captions].

Cool! A new Rock and Roll Drinking Game! Time to re-up my subscription!
Thanks Tom!!! :salude

RAB

Thanks Tom for the supportive comments. It just seems that, with a little more careful review and editing a lot of these mistakes could be nipped in the bud. For example, on their pricelist page they showed a dealer with two blonde Epi Sheratons, a '61 and a '66. The caption indicated the guitar "on the left" was the '61...uh, nope...it was the '66. Anyone with even a marginal amount of vintage knowledge could have spotted the witch hat knobs (not to mention the long headstock) :dang but I guess they have people on the staff who know little to nothing about vintage fiddles...too bad when they are supposedly catering to a clientele who can spot the correct or incorrect bevel on a '59 ABR-1 saddle adjustment screw from 25 yards!

Last edited:

DoctorMO

He is afraid to play his mint fender tweed twin cause he will blow the speakers. Oh come on turn the damn thing down your a rock star play the Amp and learn about its tone. A tweed twin is loud as hell on 3-4 that shouldnt blow the speakers

rays44

He is afraid to play his mint fender tweed twin cause he will blow the speakers. Oh come on turn the damn thing down your a rock star play the Amp and learn about its tone. A tweed twin is loud as hell on 3-4 that shouldnt blow the speakers

Kind of condescending, don't you think. :bigal

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
How much is a mint high powered tweed Twin these days? A lot more than one thats been gigged and got changed or re-coned speakers that's for sure. :##

mingus

A lot of high power tweed Twins I've encountered have had replaced/reconed speakers. Those old Jensens are the weakest link in those spectacular combo amps.

hoss

You could change the speakers for playing loud and keep the originals safe.

Emerald

True dat about Vintage Guitar's slow descent from their previous excellent presentation of articles.
Since the new physical format things have become worse.
I have no desire to purchase any copies due to the dumbing down of the editorial content, ect.
The UK magazines are still vastly superior imo.
Emerald

JBLPplayer

Who says I run them on 3 or 4? :dude:

Add 6 to those numbers and you'll be close.
Joe B

PS when it's your amp you can dime it and rock out as hard as you want. In my view some pieces are too well persevered and historic to drag through the ringer. As a collector i have too much respect for the gear and the history to risk destroying it. My guess is the amp sounds like a Fender Twin. Lol!! Bottom line it belongs in a museum and my well used 58 with Celestion 80 watts belongs onstage.

Last edited:

EvLectric

Joe B

PS when it's your amp you can dime it and rock out as hard as you want. In my view some pieces are too well persevered and historic to drag through the ringer. As a collector i have too much respect for the gear and the history to risk destroying it. My guess is the amp sounds like a Fender Twin.

And iirc he loaded it with 80 watt Celestions. My favorite speakers of all time. JBL/ EV like efficiency with English growl and more bottom end.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member

Joe B

PS when it's your amp you can dime it and rock out as hard as you want. In my view some pieces are too well persevered and historic to drag through the ringer. As a collector i have too much respect for the gear and the history to risk destroying it. My guess is the amp sounds like a Fender Twin. Lol!! Bottom line it belongs in a museum and my well used 58 with Celestion 80 watts belongs onstage.

There you have it.:dude:

High powered twins are notorious for blowing speakers.

Here's a 'burst being played through two Twins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfSe6l04T_c

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Jeez, I cannot imagine the sonic assault that two dimed Twins would provide.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Back in 2007 Keith Richards had 11 high powered Twin Amps on the road. Very few had original speakers. At the Glasgow show on that run, during the B stage part of the show, shortly after I took this picture, Keith lost signal from his Twin (on the right hand side) took his guitar off, handed it to his tech, booted the amp in question and lit up another smoke shrugging his shoulders. :rofl

Here are some pics from a different show. The Twins are always breaking down and get swapped and changed about a fair bit.