• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'61 LP Custom questions

elephantman

I'm looking for what these guitars looked like when they were new. Specifically the white ones. I've seen pics of them where they're white and some that are more cream colored. Some with gold hardware, and some with what looks like nickel. I don't know what the original specs are.

The reason: I've got an Explorer Pro that wants a new look, and I'm flirting with the idea of adding a third pickup and giving it a color scheme like the Custom. It's got a figured maple top & bound body, so it's pretty now. But I've always liked the "attitude" of the white Custom. Hell, maybe even TV Yellow!

Texas Blues

I'm looking for what these guitars looked like when they were new. Specifically the white ones. I've seen pics of them where they're white and some that are more cream colored. Some with gold hardware, and some with what looks like nickel. I don't know what the original specs are.

The reason: I've got an Explorer Pro that wants a new look, and I'm flirting with the idea of adding a third pickup and giving it a color scheme like the Custom. It's got a figured maple top & bound body, so it's pretty now. But I've always liked the "attitude" of the white Custom. Hell, maybe even TV Yellow!

Those EX Pros are very cool guitars.

I wouldn't dig a hole in the body for another pup on that guitar.

elephantman

I understand your concern about hacking into a perfectly fine guitar, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

Here's the best mock-up I can do with my cripplingly limited computer skills. I know it's an Explorer and not a Pro, but it gives a general idea.

Anyway, my question remains: What are the original specs for the early '60s LP Customs?
1975GibsonExplorer3PU_zps76d42b96.jpg