• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

GOOD NEWS: ES-335 STILL FROM NASHVILLE...

T

Troels

I've just received this mail from Gibson - it seems like they have been giving wrong informations - of some kind
in the first post:

William Baugh til mig
Vis detaljer 17.32 (44 minutter siden) Svar

Hello,
I wanted to correct something with you - I’m afraid I was wrong about the ‘59 and ‘63 historics being made in Memphis. They are indeed made in Nashville. Memphis is making the new limited run '59 335 Reissues in VOS and Gloss: (250 of each) but not the historics. I got my wires crossed somehow. Sorry about that Troels.
Regards,

William Baugh
Customer Service Representative
Gibson Guitar Corp
Nashville, TN
1-800-4GIBSON
service@gibson.com

Last edited:

angus99

Is this the same Gibson Customer Service you were blowing off last month?

"So there you have it...". Hmmm...unfortunately not!

I seems like you haven't read all the posts before answering - right? But I think you should go back and do so because your activities with Gibson Customer Service is plain waste of my time.

Get it: Both Memphis and Nasville are Custom Shops and both make Custom Shop guitars. Guitars from both places come with Custom case, Certificate of Authenticity and Gold Custom Shop Warranty.

Read Bhodies post #93 if it's too much to read them all.

And don't expect Gibson Customer Service to know much about Gibson and Gibson guitars.

I know I promissed not to post again here in this thread. But it seems like anybody just open the last post and deliver their contribution - no matter the quality - and it needed a comment.

The same you cited the other day with the wrong information about Memphis?

To put an end to the thread about the missing Nashville Historic ES-335 on the very new www.gibson.com I'll post this e-mail coming from Gibson:

William Baugh til mig
Vis detaljer 01.40 (7 timer siden) Svar (...e-mail details)

Hello,
Thanks for writing. Here is a link to the currently produced models: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Search.aspx

The 59 and 63 are produced at the custom shop in Memphis.

The site is still a work in progress and we apologize. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks again,

William Baugh
Customer Service Representative
Gibson Guitar Corp
Nashville, TN
1-800-4GIBSON

My comment: This means - to me at least - that there is no more Historics coming out of Nashville. Gibsons famous ES-335 is now only made one place - in Memphis.

PS I've asked the same question on Gibson Custom discussion page ( http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=146652&#146652 ). Still no official answer, but there's a post from a person who was at NAMM earlier this month and saw the new ES custom shop line - and as he reports - they had all "Prototype" and Memphis, TN, on the orange label - otherwise Historic specs.

Will you ever stop simply reacting to what you want to believe?

angus

T

Troels

I was misinformed. And that's what they apologies for in the mail - as far as I can see... It's rather surprising that Gibson doesn't know these things about themself. I have done nothing but quoted what Gibson told me. They've said these things to other Forum Members as well. What do you wan't me to do... call Henry? (I would like to - but he doen't answer the phone...). I believe you know very well that they first wrote that everything was in Memphis now. Now they say it's not. I've won't stay a chance to check this out - and I still wonder why some of you over there don't reserach these things instead punching me...
And by the way - there is still no Nashville and still no Historics on the website.

reswot

The thing is this: You jumped the gun and started yelling "No Nashville 335s" on the basis of an obviously unfinished website.

YOU started the big "whoop-de-do" over this; it was not Gibson. Had you simply waited until the freaking website was finished, there'd have been no "controversy" and no need for us "over here" to find these things out.

All of us "over here" simply figured that we'd wait until the website was finished.

So now you've got three threads running over a question that needed NONE.

Congratulations.

Joe Desperado

Hi Troels,

I think maybe the biggest issue these guy have here on the LPF with some of your posts is that for the most part you state information as unequivocal fact. While I understand that you have been only reporting what the Gibson emails have stated, I think you leave (or left) no consideration for error. I think this is an honest mistake...alot of times those who try to be the first to bring news to the world (in whatever format or forum) tend to not have all the information gathered. You know the saying about Hindsight is 20/20? I think that falls into this catagory as well. Meaning, what something might seem at first may not be reality in the end. Such was the case here. Some of us here have worked with Gibson for many many years. The larger that corporation gets, the more disconnect is seems to be. Those with expierence in this manor tend to take single points of contact (like on person at Gibson) with a grain of salt. Now if you contacted 5 or 10 different departments and they all reported the same information, we would have a better chance at getting accurate info. I know from working at a big corporation, that alot of times I get only the information I need to know at the time the information is being supplied. Often times weeks or months later I find out that I was only given half the information...possibly due to the fact that they did not realize I needed more than what was given.

I wish you only the best and hope that your reading of my message is understood from a friendly standpoint as a forum friend of yours from BluesTalk, GIbsonTalk, the LPF etc. I think your a wealth of information and I can appreciate that. I think you also get excited about something new you have learned and want to share it with everone. Sometimes it may be best to absorb what you have learned and wait to share it until just the right time.

Goodluck,
JD

R

red59dot

Think about your own workplace and how many employees don't know what the fuck they are doing. Well, Gibson is no different. Incompetence thrives everywhere because we don't live in a meritocracy where talent, perseverance and knowledge are routinely rewarded. In this country, loyalty and longevity are rewarded regardless of the level of talent or knowledge. It comes down to don't believe everything you read or hear or see on TV. Like most large corporations, Gibson has its share of nitwits and incompetents. It also probably has its share of relatively bright people who are sadly misinformed.

T

Troels

The thing is this: You jumped the gun and started yelling "No Nashville 335s" on the basis of an obviously unfinished website.

YOU started the big "whoop-de-do" over this; it was not Gibson. Had you simply waited until the freaking website was finished, there'd have been no "controversy" and no need for us "over here" to find these things out.

All of us "over here" simply figured that we'd wait until the website was finished.

So now you've got three threads running over a question that needed NONE.

Congratulations.

It all began with that new Gibson website. But it wasn't the website itself that lead to my posts. But based on the new web I did ask Gibson why the Histrics were missing and I posted Gibsons answer here! I - me - thought it was interesting news and posted it here in to this forum because I thought it would have a certain kind of interest for everybody. Unfortunately I was misinformed from Gibson - that's what it looks like in their new mail posted here, isn't it? 44 minutes after I got it I mailed it in this forum.

And to you Joe - thanks for your words. I am a journalist and maybe sometimes a little fast on the trigger. But in this case I'm not writing to a newspaper and the public - but to people I "know". I don't have any opportunity to double check informations from Gibson - and I belive that the informations they gave me were given to me because they simply believed themselves that it was the right context. It wasn't. Sorry for that.

The interesting thing is, that four og five persons around here take this as personal offending - which it of course isn't at all. I don't think I've ever met so unkind people at one place ever before than these people four or five people. They may have their reasons - but still to me it's a completely non-understandable behaviour - and only because of a simple thing as where a guitar is made - town A or town B...

If people here want me to I can stop posting - it's just a word or two (from some of the respectfull people, of course).

Troels

PS I can ad that Gibson has just told me, that the Historics will enter the new website as well...

J.D.

...and he attackes everyone who posts factual information that disagrees with his incorrect personal beliefs and conclusions :salude

T

Troels

...and he attackes everyone who posts factual information that disagrees with his incorrect personal beliefs and conclusions :salude

Everyone? Of course not. I guess you know that very well. But sometimes waves becomes a little high - and argueing take two persons, I believe, unless of course you are speaking with yourself.

reswot

It all began with that new Gibson website. But it wasn't the website itself that lead to my posts....

Now, just wait a minute, here, Mr. Journalist. Let's revisit your first post on this very subject

ES-335 Historics are gone...at least untill someone finds it and tells me it's not.

Maybe I'm blind... or maybe I don't understand how Gibsons new homepage works... but if I'm not blind and if I do know how to navigate on their web - then there is no longer a guitar coming out of Nashville called an ES-335 Historic - being it a dot neck or a '63.

Go to www.gibson.com and check it. I'm afraid I'm not wrong!!

I've been thru all the pages and clicked all possible buttons each one on its own and in combinations of three - and it's not there. Even typing "historic" in the search machine won't help and neither will chosing ES, USA Custom and Vintage Specs. in combination....

It's NOT THERE!

You see? It DID start with the website. You viewed an unfinished website and HAD to be the first to post about it. THEN you went looking for confirmation. There have been three threads about this: 1) "Breaking News..." 2) "ES-335 Now in Memphis, Exclusively", and 3) this one.

In these threads, you've bashed everyone who didn't agree with you.

You said that the '59 and '63 would be made in Memphis. Then you stated that "...Memphis in the future will provide the market with an ES-335 with all the details taken from the Historic (narrow binding, holly wood, hand rubbed finish and whatever) - but without the name Historic." You've unequivocally stated that Nashville ES production was shut down, that the Gibson website was complete, that the Gibson Custom was no more....

All this because of an OBVIOUSLY incomplete website and ONE GUY at Gibson Customer Service who mistyped "Memphis," rather than "Nashville" in his email to you...

How many other stories have you had to retract recently?

So much for "context," huh?

Gold Tone

You're thinking much too much about this.

Enjoy your guitar and don't worry too much about these little things.

Cheers,

GT

Last edited:

oldflame

Think about your own workplace and how many employees don't know what the fuck they are doing. Well, Gibson is no different. Incompetence thrives everywhere because we don't live in a meritocracy where talent, perseverance and knowledge are routinely rewarded. In this country, loyalty and longevity are rewarded regardless of the level of talent or knowledge. It comes down to don't believe everything you read or hear or see on TV. Like most large corporations, Gibson has its share of nitwits and incompetents. It also probably has its share of relatively bright people who are sadly misinformed.

Ain't that the truth...no matter where you come from.

J.D.

Does anyone find the irony in that these are the ramblings of a (self-proclaimed) journalist, named Trolls no less??? That in itself is hysterical :lol

R

R9.

Troels, good on ya for being persistent...but give it a rest, buddy. :salude

Uncle Gary

Heck, I'm just glad the Historics are still around. It gives me something to dream about, even though I've never even seen one. Out in my neck of the woods, they're harder to find than rocking horse poop.

TomGuitar

Troels,
I don't think anyone wants you to stop posting. You have added significantly to many discussions. Take Joe D's advice, it's really good. Phrase things carefully, be clear in what you say. Facts are facts and your opinions are opinions. Make sure the difference is apparent. It's very similar to our little spat about laminations, I'm sure you recall. And don't beat dead horses.

Peace.

oldflame

Well, after all that, you'll all be happy to know that I have just bought a 59 Historic 335....made in Nashville.