• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson - 1st addition - Chainsaw case

Rick Doeschler

Does anyone know if you can super glue a broken off latch on the Chainsaw case? Don't want to try it if it won't work.

Thanks for your experience, knowledge and guidance.

Flavum

From my limited experience, super glue doesn't work well on plastic because it's not porous. Repeated attempts to glue a broken coffee filter basket have failed.

A better choice might be a glue designed especially for plastics. But be careful, as they literally melt the plastic so that it fuses together, and then dries and hardens (like glue for model building). You'd want to test the glue on a small, discreet spot, and if it works, glue the latch. Extreme care and diligence is recommended.

Rick Doeschler

Thanks Flavum. I've tried super glueing other plastics together and some work and some don't work. Because of the case being what it is, I don't want to make a mess and then having it not work.

Other comments are very much appreciated...

Thanks,
WRD

wernerg

for broken latches on Protector cases, check out the replacement latches sold by forum member Dr Vintage. They work well and are easy to install (no glue)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Does anyone know if you can super glue a broken off latch on the Chainsaw case? Don't want to try it if it won't work.

Thanks for your experience, knowledge and guidance.

It won't work if the latch broke where they normally break.
That is an area that moves and is stressed every time the latch is opened or closed.

Replacing the latch is the way to go.
As wernerg said, check with Dr. Vintage.

toxpert

If Rick (aka Dr V) does not have any 'living hinge latches' in stock, send me a email.

I checked with Rick awhile back and his stock was temporarily depleted. I ended up buying a set of 3 replacements off of the eBay. I used one latch, put another aside and have one extra.

Removing and installing these latches is very simple and requires a drill, rivet tool, a file and a bit of glue. The drill is used to cutaway the old rivets... You will reuse the existing holes.
It took me 10 minutes to replace a hinged latch. Note- you generally need to replace only the hinge part.

For more information about these devices, search for 'living hinge latch'.

Rick Doeschler

Many thanks for all the helpful responses.

I ended up buying one off of Ebay. It came complete with all the stuff to replace the old one. Hopefully, it won't be too hard to remove the broken one and instal the new one.