• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What have u done to your Tribute 50 or 60

Hamerfan

What should be modded from the stock factory? I am more interested into sound than optical mods. First the guitar needed a big set up from the factory specs. Then still the bridge pup was too bright and the neck pup too dark and boomy.
Then i made a magnet swap. One Alnico3 into the neck and one Alnico 8 into the bridge. Made sound more even.
Still considering to change the neck volume pot to a CTS 500k.

Smolder

Mine is a black 50's... Have had a few sets of pups in, but am back to the gibson's. I did age the chrome and replace the pink plastic with black. Great playing and sounding guitar.

jsamans

I sanded the top edge for more of a "fake binding" look and added a Bigsby B7. I love this guitar!

studio5.JPG

Dale

Installed the pointers and wrapped the strings over the stoptail.

1978Deluxe

Personally, I don't think they need any modding for sound. That being said, here's what I did (not because I didn't like the sound of the P90's though).

002-3.jpg

No changes planned other than the plastic. But I have notices I've been using the neck pickup exclusively

Kris Ford

Personally, I don't think they need any modding for sound. That being said, here's what I did (not because I didn't like the sound of the P90's though).

002-3.jpg
That looks good, sweet idea! I can imagine it sounds fantastic too! A fellow Detroiter, you gig out around here?

Totally bored

I buffed mine out. Took everything off and used the orbital polisher with rubbing compound, polish and wax. I cracked and broke 2 of the knobs while doing it. Threw them back on for now and I ordered goldtop volume and tone knobs. I think it will look better anyway.

46fef8e6.jpg

cryptozoo

Buffed out the 'satin' finish, changed the volume pots to tighter-tolerance CTS's, changed caps to NOS PIOs, lightweight aluminum tailpiece, lightly rolled fretboard edges, changed knobs from reflectors to barrels.

Sounds great, but it already sounded pretty damn good right out of the box.

2u8l479.jpg

EdMcL

I LOVE that!!
Gotta get another one and do the same
Awesome Deluxe-ish !

I just changed to speed knobs
I'm pretty much happy with everything the way it is now

002-3.jpg

Last edited:

jsamans

That looks Bad ass. Does it stay in tune after you use the Bigsby ?

Yeah, surprisingly well. I did have the Bigsby professionally installed and a full setup at the same time. It's the only guitar that I've taken in to my tech that *didn't* need a plek.

David P.

So far, just rewiring the tone pot in my Goldtop 60s to 50s spec, but I really want to get that control cavity shielded as I find it noisy, and go with braided wiring. Also thinking of pulling the (I assume 300K linear) volume pots and replacing with 500K RS superpots). I understand that the tone pots are already 500K?? Anyone swapped out the stock pots for RS super's??

wow crypto that rocks! i wanted to do that to mine, but i read somewhere that i might rub out the finish trying to polish it.

I bought a 60s goldtop tribute that i changed to have pointers, 500k pots with orange caps wired for treble bleed, and bigsby with graphtech bridge an nut for support.

I'm happy with my upgrades because now i can get every sound that i want at will with just the change of the vol and tone knobs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26693418@N08/6006973721/in/photostream

Hamerfan

What should be modded from the stock factory? I am more interested into sound than optical mods. First the guitar needed a big set up from the factory specs. Then still the bridge pup was too bright and the neck pup too dark and boomy.
Then i made a magnet swap. One Alnico3 into the neck and one Alnico 8 into the bridge. Made sound more even.
Still considering to change the neck volume pot to a CTS 500k.

I had a A8/A4 in the bridge, that made it useable. Now i got a great deal on a used Wolftone Meaner that i could not resist. Even better - full tone. I also raised the Tailpiece to get a shallower angle across the bridge.

SFW

The only thing I've done to mine was replace the stock Gibson 300k volume pots with Gibson 500k pots. big improvement. I eventually want to replace the caps, but I haven't figured out what I want to switch them with yet.