• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Solderless wiring harness

honeyburstme

When I go on ebay I see a lot of Gibson solderless wiring harnesses going up for sale. I was curious as to the general consensus from the forum members? Are they really "That Bad?" Or, is the switch out more a purist type of thing.

I have a 2012 Les Paul Premium Standard. I keep entertaining a gut switch out, but I keep sitting on the fence because of something that happened to me years ago that night explain my hesitation.

I was on a website where a guy made a lot of claims about hot-rodding a Fender amp. I brought the mods to a local amp guy and had them done. At the time I swore the change made this big improvement to the overall sound of the amp. I sold off the amp and wound up coming full circle. I sold the older modified amp to a friend. He comes over with the old amp, and we A/B'd it to the stock Fender amp I just purchased without the mods. The untouched newer Fender sounded way better! I guess that's why I am still on the fence on this.

Big Al

I'm not sure of any tonal issues with the stock harness. I'm not a huge solder person, I hate doing it. That said, if I was happy with stock performance I see no utility reason to change.

If you like to fiddle about with all the bits, and it would be easier one way, or the other let that be your guide. If your goal is to duplicate an older style guitar go the old way and have at it.

I do not have a newer one, but I very much liked the pull pot options and thought it had great tone and utility.

Big Al

Be aware that there are a buch of nimrods, stripping and parting these out. It isn't a quality issue.

honeyburstme

Thanks Big Al! The fact that I saw so many on-line made me wonder if they were poorly made.

SimonBarSinister

I have a 2014 STD Plus and I thought for sure I would be ripping out all of the electronics ...To my surprise the setup sounds great. Even the BB Pros sound great. The Push/Pull pots are pretty nice and give you a lot of options.

I left it stock... there is nothing wrong with it...

YMMV
SBS