• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Pauls on Facebook

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Is there any bigger Charlie Foxtrot on the 'Net? I'm finding it impossible to have an intelligent conversation on there. It's like going to a football stadium filled w/people from all over the world, & trying to discuss with them information that we take for granted on the boards here every day.
Here's an example posted just last week:
"Talked to a music store owner,whose big seller was Gibson....he says he had to stop selling Gibson guitars because of "Quality Issues"......it seems Gibson cares about profits and not quality....does anyone know anything about this????"
How do you get any traction w/that? Talk about trying to nail some jello to the wall.
While I understand the whole "if you're not interested just move along" thing, but then your news feed is clogged w/this kind of inane crap.
I think talk about the death of Internet discussion boards is a bit premature.

George

All Access/Backstage Pass
The Les Paul Society on FB and Bursthunter are pretty good. There are a couple more I'm a member of, that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I belong to the Society, but have hidden it from my feed. It's like watching a sewer flow & waiting for a diamond to float by.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Facebook is how I keep in touch w/family & friends. Sending messages & sharing pictures. It's NOT where I hang out to discuss hobbies & interests.

Ad_02Std

I find Facebook very useful for my business (I make guitar pedals) and for organising band stuff. I originally joined to keep in touch with my friends and family, but I've found it can become a substitute for actually meeting face-to-face. I don't think that's especially healthy.

I don't like to join discussions with total strangers about anything there. That is most definitely a waste of time.

tdarian

Facebook is how I keep in touch w/family & friends. Sending messages & sharing pictures. It's NOT where I hang out to discuss hobbies & interests.

Besides the quilting forum you mean?

Billy Porter

I find Facebook very useful for keeping up to date with old colleagues

It’s always useful to see photographs of their breakfasts, their dogs walking on the beach and best of all………snow outside:rolleyes . This is especially useful as they think I don’t have windows in my house to see the snow outside for myself :##

Pat Boyack

Is there any bigger Charlie Foxtrot on the 'Net? I'm finding it impossible to have an intelligent conversation on there. It's like going to a football stadium filled w/people from all over the world, & trying to discuss with them information that we take for granted on the boards here every day.
Here's an example posted just last week:
"Talked to a music store owner,whose big seller was Gibson....he says he had to stop selling Gibson guitars because of "Quality Issues"......it seems Gibson cares about profits and not quality....does anyone know anything about this????"
How do you get any traction w/that? Talk about trying to nail some jello to the wall.
While I understand the whole "if you're not interested just move along" thing, but then your news feed is clogged w/this kind of inane crap.
I think talk about the death of Internet discussion boards is a bit premature.

It's the volume of posts on the Les Paul and Burst pages that hurt my head. Like the number of comments on the "Quality issue" thread. Many of the responses were knee jerk reactions with no logic to them. But I will say this, many folks are not hiding behind incogs and using their real names. This brings the civility up a few notches. You can't hide, if you are going to be a dick it's out in the open. :biggrin:

Redhod

I'm wary of Facebook. I use it for the usual family and friend connections. It's especially useful for making contact again with that elusive kind of friend -- the old work crony.

But something tells me all the present safeguards are going to fall someday and your whole FB history is going to spill out on the sidewalk like a broken grocery bag. Not that I have anything dark & secretive to hide anyway. I'm going to remain circumspect about what I put on FB.

bobbradley

I had to unsubscribe from all facebook chat about guitars in general. When you are accustomed to chatting with folks that possess deep knowledge, it can be a little unnerving!!!!

Triburst

Something to consider.
freefood.jpg

Elliot Easton

Talk about trying to nail some jello to the wall.

What a great expression! I've always loved, "it's like shooting pool with a rope" and "like trying to stuff oysters into a slot machine", but those of course refer to trying to have sex on coke, hahahahaha!